Topic Options
#2977613 - Thu Feb 28 2013 10:29 AM Spring gobbler 2014
DennyF Offline
Geezer Emeritus
Stopped counting

Loc: Cumberland County 5A
Posting this for Don Heckman:

2014 Spring Gobbler Season

2014 Spring Gobbler Season is proposed to start on Saturday, April 26 for 1 Day Youth Hunt, and Saturday, May 3 for Regular Season Start Date.

Spring Gobbler Season would run from May 3 to May 31.

Is May 3 too late to start the 2014 Spring Gobbler Season?

Should the Regular Season Start Date be April 26? or April 19?

If so, why?

Don Heckman...

#2977627 - Thu Feb 28 2013 10:44 AM Re: Spring gobbler 2014 [Re: DennyF]
jmbear12 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Adams County, PA
Seems awful late to me, since we've had the late april opener for a while.

I'd like to see it start the 19th for the kids and 26th for the rest of us. Towards late May, it seem the birds are very tight-lipped as they exit the breeding season. I'd rather have my chances earlier at gobbling birds over ambushing a silent bird late in the season. I'm not overly concerned about getting a bird for myself, but I like having exciting footage when I'm hunting with someone else.

Regardless, whatever they decide the season is, that's when I'll be after them.

#2977633 - Thu Feb 28 2013 10:50 AM Re: Spring gobbler 2014 [Re: DennyF]
NorthEast Cammer Offline
Honored

Loc: SW PA
I'd be 100% in favor of an earlier start. from my experience of scouting every minute I can from March thru May the birds are much more active mid to late April in my neck of the woods. Besides that by the end of May activity is nearly non existant and silent birds are much more common.

Has a split start ever been considered?? The Northern Tier seems a couple of weeks behind the Southern counties as far as "green up" and gobbling activity in my experiences.

#2977640 - Thu Feb 28 2013 10:58 AM Re: Spring gobbler 2014 [Re: NorthEast Cammer]
dpms Offline
VIP

Loc: Pittsburgh
Originally Posted By: BONZy
I'd be 100% in favor of an earlier start. from my experience of scouting every minute I can from March thru May the birds are much more active mid to late April in my neck of the woods. Besides that by the end of May activity is nearly non existant and silent birds are much more common.

Has a split start ever been considered?? The Northern Tier seems a couple of weeks behind the Southern counties as far as "green up" and gobbling activity in my experiences.

Been working that angle for years, Bonzy. I have been working for a earlier start for some time now. Especially in the sw and se parts of the state where the spring green up is far ahead of the rest of the state. I saw poults the first week and bachelor gobbler groups the second week with little interest in the call. This trend has been becoming more normal for close to a decade now in these parts.

The fall seasons are differing lengths. I don't see why we can't alter our starts or change them based on weather variances. Look at any spring planting guide for PA and you can see the contrasts.

When the weeds are thigh high and visibility is less,than 20 yards on the opener, Houston, we have a problem.

#2977654 - Thu Feb 28 2013 11:16 AM Re: Spring gobbler 2014 [Re: DennyF]
Uncle Nicky Offline
old hand

Loc: Montgomery County, PA, USA
I can't think of a reason why, other than the birds would be more vocal & probably respond to calling more if the season started earlier, say the middle of April. My reasons are pretty much selfish. But I would certainly welcome it.

#2977668 - Thu Feb 28 2013 11:34 AM Re: Spring gobbler 2014 [Re: DennyF]
bigbear Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: PA
Birds won't be more responsive to calling with an earlier to start to the season. They aren't going to come investigate some hen calling when they have the real thing to breed right in front of them. Some of the best hunting I've had has been the last week of the season after all the breeding has been done. We have a strong turkey population because the hunting season takes place after the majority of the breeding has already been done.

#2977673 - Thu Feb 28 2013 11:37 AM Re: Spring gobbler 2014 [Re: Uncle Nicky]
jec turkeydad Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gobblerville woods road
New york season always opens on May 1, even if it's a Sunday.lol No problem finding them up there. We also opened in May before.I myself like to work the more mature birds near the end of our season.

Like the last poster mentioned my reasons and many others are pretty much selfish. I believe though if you want to see a bigger harvest then yes, start youth and the regular Spring gobbler season (2) weeks earlier. JMO.
turkeytrack turkeytrack turkeytrack turkeytrack turkeytrack

#2977700 - Thu Feb 28 2013 12:03 PM Re: Spring gobbler 2014 [Re: bigbear]
dpms Offline
VIP

Loc: Pittsburgh
Originally Posted By: bigbear
Birds won't be more responsive to calling with an earlier to start to the season. They aren't going to come investigate some hen calling when they have the real thing to breed right in front of them. Some of the best hunting I've had has been the last week of the season after all the breeding has been done. We have a strong turkey population because the hunting season takes place after the majority of the breeding has already been done.

In the portion of Greene county amd Washington that I hunt, the majority of the breeding and laying is being done in April. Flocks are beginning to bust up and the gobblers transitioning back into summer patterns during opening week I saw poults the first week last year. It does seem that this is a trend that is occurring earlier and earlier.

I also realize that other parts of the state are vastly different. Here, thigh high weeds and almost full leaf out is common by the second week.

#2977715 - Thu Feb 28 2013 12:11 PM Re: Spring gobbler 2014 [Re: bigbear]
Uncle Nicky Offline
old hand

Loc: Montgomery County, PA, USA
Originally Posted By: bigbear
Birds won't be more responsive to calling with an earlier to start to the season. They aren't going to come investigate some hen calling when they have the real thing to breed right in front of them.

My experience hunting during our youth season & out-of-state where seasons start earlier tells me something different. smile

#2977725 - Thu Feb 28 2013 12:22 PM Re: Spring gobbler 2014 [Re: Uncle Nicky]
Born2Hunt Offline
Honored

Loc: Washington County PA
I prefer the earlier start. I hear more gobblers then and they come in during the earlier start across the river in OH.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
36 registered (10der222, 1SHOT1SQUIRREL, Ben C, Bearclaw, BCozhunter, atr, 7 invisible), 282 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
16inpotter, ahitz3, Paramedic90, Chesco stuffer, mdawg
33474 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Opening Night
by Double Shorthair
1 minute 19 seconds ago
R.E.M.
by atr
39 minutes 22 seconds ago
A few to look at...one graphic
by BUBBABUCK
Today at 02:35 AM
awesome spot gone forever
by firefig18
Today at 01:42 AM
Got a nice 9 pt. this morning!
by RidgeHunter88
Today at 01:04 AM
Ohio Wayne National Forest Buck
by diesel333
Today at 12:44 AM
Where's the Perry Co. guys?
by Pollock21
Today at 12:43 AM
New Topics
R.E.M.
by atr
Another one from 2B
by ZJSullivan
11:33 PM
Rinehart Targets
by BillMotlet
10:08 PM
Hunting Alone
by ZachAttack
10:00 PM
Ohio Wayne National Forest Buck
by Pa.Bone
09:57 PM
Did you know Scorpions glow in the dark?
by muskyman62
09:44 PM
Hunting partners
by varmint
08:38 PM
Top Posters
great white hunter 35350
RonM 30327
RB-HPA 27907
Bluetick 23971
DennyF 22926
TATERDAVID 22695