Click here HuntingPA.com
Outdoor Community

General Hunting Forum

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2947869 - Wed Jan 30 2013 09:17 PM Re: Dicks to open Field and Stream outlet [Re: mossycamo]
RTH Offline
HPA Sponsor (ADT)
veteran

Loc: Ohio Twp, PA

#2947998 - Wed Jan 30 2013 10:40 PM Re: Dicks to open Field and Stream outlet [Re: mossycamo]
Realtrehntr Online   content
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Butler,Pa
Originally Posted By: mossycamo
I was not impressed with the Dicks store in Cranberry. probably won't go there again. The Dicks store in Butler will get my money or I'll just go to Cabelas.
Imo, Dicks in Butler is nothing special either..go in for something simple, but they never have it or never heard of it...their fishing section is garbage...

#2948136 - Thu Jan 31 2013 08:08 AM Re: Dicks to open Field and Stream outlet [Re: dpms]
theaceman Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: WMU 2D
I refuse to shop at Dick's. After how they treated the company I work for when we did work for them...they can have their overpriced sporting goods stores. I'll spend my money somewhere else.

#2948211 - Thu Jan 31 2013 09:29 AM Re: Dicks to open Field and Stream outlet [Re: dpms]
Everyday Hunter Offline
HPA Sponsor
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Russell, PA
Originally Posted By: dpms
In Cranberry Township, Allegheny County. The store will be dedicated to the Field and Stream hunting and fishing product line and cater to outdoorsmen. Too bad they alienated half of them with their stance on modern sporting rifles. Will probably be a pretty nice store.

Dick's to Open First Field & Stream Store in Pennsylvania
SportsOneSource Media Posted: 1/30/2013
Dick’s Sporting Goods has applied for a building permit to convert a former Dick’s store in Cranberry, PA to a store operating under the Field & Stream banner in what appears to be the retailer’s latest specialty retail spin-off, according to a report on triblive.com, the online news outlet for several Philadelphia area newspapers.

Field & Stream Licenses announced in September it had agreed to sell Dick’s Sporting Goods the intellectual property rights to the Field & Stream trademarks in the hunting, fishing, camping and paddle categories. Previously, Field & Stream had licensed these categories to Dick's on an exclusive basis.

Dick’s moved its Dick’s Sporting Goods store in Cranberry to a larger space in that town in October. Cranberry is located nearly two hours north of Dick’s Sporting Goods headquarter in Findlay, PA, just northwest of Pittsburgh.

Last summer, Dick’s opened its first True Runner specialty store near Pittsburgh. True Runner caters to running enthusiasts.

The portion I've highlighted in bold is the key to this story. When a company "licenses" a trademark, it's about brand name more than it is about quality . It doesn't mean the goods produced with the "Field and Stream" name will be the same quality as previously. This is a way for the owner of the intellectual property rights (in this case the name "Field and Stream") to extend it's brand further into the mass market.

It's a clear change in direction for the brand, and we don't know yet what else will change. The quality can decrease in order for the merchandise to reach price points that will move the merchandise in volume. The factories that make the goods might change, since the licensee will now have more control over production of the merchandise. The fabric content in the clothing, the features, the fit -- all of this can change. Certainly Dicks and Field and Stream expects this to make more money for them. Whether it will be good for the consumer remains to be seen. As in almost everything, time will tell.

To me, this looks like a way for Dicks to further penetrate their market with a different approach than other companies are using. I look forward to seeing what they do with this direction.

What I've said is not meant to denigrate Dicks or Field and Stream in any way. I have some Field and Stream clothing I bought from Dicks several years ago. It hass held up well. I wear it a lot and I like it a lot. I hope Field and Stream continues to measure up to what it has been.

With the change The spinoff of the True Runner specialty store near Pittsburgh is probably a precursor to this new direction for Field and Stream. Outdoorsmen and women will feel more at home without fighting their way through treadmills and tennis togs to get to our sporting goods.

Incidentally, since Dicks is headquartered in the Pittsburgh area, I'd bet a good number of their employees are members of HPA.

Steve.

#2948229 - Thu Jan 31 2013 09:49 AM Re: Dicks to open Field and Stream outlet [Re: dpms]
LONG BEARD 101 Offline
FOUR in the freezer 2 to go
Honored

Loc: North Western PA
I just hope it isn't a clothing and shoe store. Hopefully they will have some stuff that a hunter and fisherman can actually use! Unlike Dick's and Dunhams, over priced, yuppie, golf store.

#2948285 - Thu Jan 31 2013 10:50 AM Re: Dicks to open Field and Stream outlet [Re: LONG BEARD 101]
dpms Online   content
VIP

Loc: Pittsburgh
Supposedly only catering to hunters,fishermen, hikers, kayakers etc..

#2948304 - Thu Jan 31 2013 11:10 AM Re: Dicks to open Field and Stream outlet [Re: dpms]
ted4prez Offline
enthusiast

Loc: 15417
not a fan of dicks... if i have to go to a big store its Gander Mountain. I go to mom and pops for my other needs...

#2948307 - Thu Jan 31 2013 11:13 AM Re: Dicks to open Field and Stream outlet [Re: dpms]
blitzinstripes Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: SC PA
Will they stock semi auto rifles, or are they continuing to discriminate against legal firearms owners??

#2948321 - Thu Jan 31 2013 11:31 AM Re: Dicks to open Field and Stream outlet [Re: dpms]
GHOSTHUNTER Offline
journeyman

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Their clothing is horrible. I wouldn't give it to a homeless person let alone go hunting in it.

#2948429 - Thu Jan 31 2013 01:44 PM Re: Dicks to open Field and Stream outlet [Re: LONG BEARD 101]
Q2XL12 Offline
Honored

Loc: 2D
Originally Posted By: LONG BEARD 101
I just hope it isn't a clothing and shoe store. Hopefully they will have some stuff that a hunter and fisherman can actually use! Unlike Dick's and Dunhams, over priced, yuppie, golf store.

DING DING DING!

I was in the new Dicks in Cranberry before Christmas and I began to refer to it as yuppy depot...there were so much North Face, Under Armour and yoga pants flying off the shelves of that place it wasn't even funny.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ole' Raspy, Peppy, treestand91 
Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
203 registered (32-20, 82dead, 5chunter, 7600, 11bdickey, 24 invisible), 540 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
superd, dar, jw279, ShaneWeim, valuepack
33296 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Day 1 - doe only SRA
by dpms
Great Morning and a band!
by basdjs
cougar bobs
by superd
170 gr FN 30-30 for reloading
by adm1977
Building a boat from scratch
by crappie-hunter
The last letter game
by RonM
Primitive Fire
by Michaux Hunter
New Topics
Blind Laws in Pa
by M3500
06:31 PM
Sept.21 Honor your Woman day
by atr
05:43 PM
Paul Pollick Deer Lure?
by 1flyfish
05:12 PM
Spitfire heads with crossbow.
by Bigbrownie
04:45 PM
model 700 rem
by smuckers
03:50 PM
Ratio of Licensed Adult / Licensed Junior/Observer
by Twin Ponds
03:30 PM
Oyster mushroom questions
by 700varmint
03:11 PM
Top Posters
great white hunter 35139
RonM 29688
RB-HPA 27814
Bluetick 23804
DennyF 22882
TATERDAVID 22651
SigPro2340 21461
Peppy 20812
DIYASUB 20379
timberdoodle 19049
Forum Stats
33296 Members
99 Forums
110026 Topics
1389638 Posts

Max Online: 1692 @ Mon Dec 02 2013 08:38 PM

Please note: To post or reply to posts you must be a registered member and be logged in. You can register by clicking on New User on the message board menu.