Click here HuntingPA.com
Outdoor Community

Trapping Forum

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2763428 - Thu Aug 30 2012 07:19 PM Re: Bobcat trapping advice [Re: PAlimbhanger]
Fairchild #17 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Millville
Longbeard, that reminds me of those "Rimrock" trappers out west. Nice pics.
All my cats have come from thick, gnarly, swampy areas.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

#2763719 - Thu Aug 30 2012 11:09 PM Re: Bobcat trapping advice [Re: PAlimbhanger]
trappin4reds2010 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Shavertown, PA
Nice pics longbeard. What type of set made the catch?

#2763752 - Fri Aug 31 2012 12:07 AM Re: Bobcat trapping advice [Re: trappin4reds2010]
long beard Online   content
veteran

Loc: Conestoga, Pa
Trappin4reds it was A blind set using Asa lennon's snow spoon that I built myself. I had plenty of sets out using everything I could think of, Cubbies, walk through cubbies, flatsets and rubsets but a blind walk through set was the tag filling set. After looking back at the whole deal it seems I was over thinking the process. See a track in the snow and it's a matter of time until that cat comes through that area again. The cat I caught was on a 3 day turn. Trust me I seen a TON of coyote sign and I would of loved to set for them but bobcat was my target and I focussed on that. I was in a area of the ANF where I was on 5 different cats running. This one was the most predictable and she was 20 lbs. I was hoping for another one that I guessed was 40 lbs plus. It's pad was as big as my palm. I just could never put the pinch on him. This year is a new season and my brother say's he's still there, just bigger. I hope to meet this guy this year. I bet he's pushing 50 lbs.

#2763899 - Fri Aug 31 2012 08:02 AM Re: Bobcat trapping advice [Re: PAlimbhanger]
veteran

Here's a cubby I built in a cave I found where a couple cats were using as a loafing area.

Here's a walk trough set along a boulder wall were they were running because the snow was 3 ft deep on the right side of the pic when I made the set. The trap is wired off to a 12" maple tree just out of view to the right.

It doesn't look it but that cubby is big enough for me to crawl into. Cats like cubbies big enough to walk into and turn around and come out. They do not like to back out. On every set I used drags that I made out of logs or wired to trees. I was to far back in to carry steel drags and the ground was to rocky to get any type of stake in. So carry a hatchet and a bow saw and a spool of 14 ga. wire to make life easier. In the cubby set you can see a flag. That is a PA 1 call marker flag. I use these to catch a cat's attention. I have some I painted black to use in sets out in the snow.

#2764251 - Fri Aug 31 2012 02:40 PM Re: Bobcat trapping advice [Re: PAlimbhanger]
trappin4reds2010 Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Shavertown, PA
"it was A blind set using Asa lennon's snow spoon that I built myself."

The snow spoon. I like that. Especially with all the snow you had.

Nice pics and I hope you get the big Tom this year..

#2764512 - Fri Aug 31 2012 08:28 PM Re: Bobcat trapping advice [Re: PAlimbhanger]
cbowers Offline
On the board

Loc: pa elk county
big and flashy catch there eye and pritty much any bait will work. like was said though u have to have bobcats to catch them. i like thickets between feilds or crick bottoms. steep sided hallows they like to run as well. good luck hope u get a big one.

#2764773 - Sat Sep 01 2012 04:57 AM Re: Bobcat trapping advice [Re: PAlimbhanger]
PAlimbhanger Offline
veteran

Loc: In the pines
Nice pics guys. This is really giving me alot of ideas and I appreciate very much. Everytime I see a pic, a location comes to mind around here. Thanks again.

#2764828 - Sat Sep 01 2012 08:57 AM Re: Bobcat trapping advice [Re: PAlimbhanger]
Denny Emery Offline
old hand

Loc: Jefferson Co, Pa
I am really enjoying this thread, thanks guys.

There are cats here but I am in the wrong WMU......

#2767424 - Tue Sep 04 2012 07:50 AM Re: Bobcat trapping advice [Re: PAlimbhanger]
Kip Feroce Offline
enthusiast

Loc: W. PA
Have found that cats like the stone fences and mt laurel.
There is a place on one of my lines where a stone fence borders a field and has a log road on the other. A real hot spot that has caught more than a few. I like projection sets with good blending and a couple of drops of bob gland or castor on it.
Have caught them in all types of sets in different terrains'. Like grey fox, they love the thick stuff and cruise it often.

#2767956 - Tue Sep 04 2012 04:31 PM Re: Bobcat trapping advice [Re: PAlimbhanger]
veteran

I have been looking for some other pics I have from when I was trapping southern Potter and northern Cameron counties for cats. The terrain and cover is a lot different then northern McKean county. In southern Potter & northen Cameron I trapped the edges of thick 3-5 yr old clear cuts both fenced and unfenced. You can find a lot of sign on the trails that typically circle these cut and find the trails they use to enter the cuts. Keep a eye out tracks in the mud or muddy dry tracks on the leaves and droppings. If you get real lucky you may be able to find a bobcat toilet to set. This is like a litter box to cats and it's not rare to have a few different cats using it. This is a great place for blind sets. When setting the edges of clear cuts I build huge flashy cubbies and big flashy dirt holes. And when setting for cats I never cover the trap.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  foxtrapperwoman, Moss, OldMink 
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
365 registered (123britt321, 10der222, 284, 19Delta, 25ftup, 12pointfeva, 36 invisible), 815 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PittsburghJim, weach2110, livesinshaler, JMA2014, span870
33342 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Does pyrodex pellets go bad
by Curly Maple
RMEF "Govenors" auction tag hunt
by bootmud
2G SGL bucks
by Moss
some recent pics volume 2