Outdoor Community

Hunting Camp Forum

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2699327 - Wed Jun 20 2012 10:08 PM Local Yocals
Forest County Offline
On the board

Loc: Forest County
Weve all heard the expression used before in one form or another relating to the local people that live by camp. I wanted to start a thread dedicated to them, on their behalf, maybe its a friend you have made, someone who has helped you out in a jam, the town drunk, your neighboor, whoever, its their time to shine.

#2699364 - Wed Jun 20 2012 10:54 PM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
InVenangoNow Offline
Where's Da Beef?
The man

Loc: Not Here
The only thing shining about him was the flashlight he used to break in and steal the motor out of the riding mower.

#2699370 - Wed Jun 20 2012 11:09 PM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
Forest County Offline
On the board

For me this one is easy. Bill Scherer AKA Bobcat Billy the former owner of Cougar Bobs. I became great friends with Bill through my times spent at camp and his bar. He welcomed me into his home and over the years we enjoyed alot of great times together. I lost my friend in a tradgic accident one afternoon just down the road from that very same bar we became friends in many years ago. He was truely my "FRIEND".

#2700377 - Fri Jun 22 2012 09:45 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
pigstyconrad Offline
On the board

Loc: Langhorne, Pa 2G
John, Yvonne, Kenny and Doris in Conrad have kept an eye on my place since I bought it. From lawn mowing to borrowing some tools, I don't know what I would do without them. They have keys to the place and will even open it up and put the heat on when I'm on my way to camp.

#2700385 - Fri Jun 22 2012 09:52 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
Bearklr Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
I have to tip my hat to Tony at the wagon wheel. Definitely not the most talkative guy but we've known him for decades and I love the fact his bar never changes. I love going there as it reminds me of the days when hunters and fisherman were the only ones who knew about that special place called Pine Creek Valley. With all the changes up there to cater to those from the cities I sure do miss those times. I used to feel like it was a different place and time up there and I was getting away from everything, not so much anymore.

#2700388 - Fri Jun 22 2012 09:54 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
pigstyconrad Offline
On the board

On the other hand...there are some locals that love to stick it Especially when it comes to paying someone to get some work done around the place. I've had some verbal agreements to do work for $500 end up costing me $1000 by the time things were done. I know that it is my fault for not getting it in writing. I guess I just still have faith that all the residents of Potter County are good, hardworking people. I also have found that no one wants to do any work when I need it done. I remember calling 10 people around the county to throw a deck on the camp for me so I could spend less time working and more time fishing. Only 1 guy actually called me back with an estimate. And, he gave me an estimate on the deck that he wanted to build, not what I asked him to build.

Edited by TATERDAVID (Fri Jun 22 2012 11:18 AM)
Edit Reason: Using symbol to go around language filter will not be tolerated

#2700395 - Fri Jun 22 2012 10:12 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
comblockshooter Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: jeff co pa
ever think that calling them yocals has an effect on their attitude toward you as well. why would i build a deck for you if you have no respect for the residence of the area. think they like being called yocals?

#2700409 - Fri Jun 22 2012 10:38 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: comblockshooter]
Woodsnut Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Blair County/ 4D area
This got me thinking of our 2 camp thugs that have virtually/ literally destroyed a good family camp over the years. both on probation and prolly back in jail soon any how wave Hi fellas shocked wut a waste of human life!

#2700446 - Fri Jun 22 2012 11:15 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
DennyF Offline
Geezer Emeritus
Stopped counting

Loc: Cumberland County 5A
Well, it's "yokels" and I have much better pet names for my camp neighbors, than that. Most of which can't be posted here. Nor how they refer to me.

grin

I get along well with most of them, probably because I have kin in the area and have been around there since I was a little twerp.

A cousin that lives across the valley, looks after my place as far as cutting the grass, cutting firewood and keeping an eye on things. Other neighbors are vigilant as well.

Some of the neighbors are new. Like the ones down the road that just moved there a few years ago from downstate. Fine folks and already "adopted" by the residents. Next closest neighbors in the other direction, are locals that I've know for many years, also great people.

Ya want a good neighbor, then be one yourself. Pretty much how it works where my camp is. I've borrowed stuff from my neighbors for years and vice versa. I once offended a farmer because I stuffed a $20 bill in the valve handle of a gas cylinder, when I borrowed his torch to install my well pump at camp and put the burning outfit back in his shop with money attached to it.

A bud of mine that owns a camp south of Galeton, was cheerfully refered to over there by the locals, as their pet flatlander. They've all hunted bear/deer together for at least 30 years. He's helped them, they've helped him for many years, so all is well.

Even the crankiest neighbor I have, is fairly agreeable (for him), since I've helped him and his clan a few times. Towed his grandson's Polaris Ranger home two years ago when the drive belt broke about two miles from their farm.

Last fall I stopped to help ol' cranky hisself, when he was struggling with the tarps on his round bale pile. Now and then he even waves when we pass.

whistle

#2700451 - Fri Jun 22 2012 11:20 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: DennyF]
Ca Lunker Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Montco - Tioga/Potter
Originally Posted By: DennyF

Ya want a good neighbor, then be one yourself.

These are words worth repeating. I've always try to treat everyone as I want to be treated.

#2700461 - Fri Jun 22 2012 11:28 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
zimmerstutzen Offline
The man

Loc: lancaster
Around here the "yocals" refer to those moving in from Maryland as "Baltimorons."

#2700488 - Fri Jun 22 2012 12:32 PM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
Ripnmax Offline
veteran

Loc: SC PA
Around here the "yocals" refer to the weekend visitors as "Amateurs"

#2700499 - Fri Jun 22 2012 12:40 PM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
G-Daddy Offline
old hand

Loc: PA
There's a guy near our place at the shore who owns a bait and tackle store. Matt is a great guy that I have known since he was a boy working in the store. He treats us like friends and we reciprocate. He has also introduced me to some locals who can fix boats at a reasonable price and will go out of their way to help you. I will never be accepted as anything other than a "come-here", but with the friends I have made, that is ok by me.

#2700554 - Fri Jun 22 2012 01:58 PM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Bearklr]
Clinton County Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Clinton County
Originally Posted By: Bearklr
I have to tip my hat to Tony at the wagon wheel. Definitely not the most talkative guy but we've known him for decades and I love the fact his bar never changes. I love going there as it reminds me of the days when hunters and fisherman were the only ones who knew about that special place called Pine Creek Valley. With all the changes up there to cater to those from the cities I sure do miss those times. I used to feel like it was a different place and time up there and I was getting away from everything, not so much anymore.

Yea it really changed. Spent what time I could on that creek in my youth. I still love it there and just don't have the time to get up there. When I was just young could have bought both of the camps across the road from each other there at the bottom of Upper Pine Bottom for a song and a dance. It had hemlock trees 5 feet in diameter all over it. Could have sold enough of them to pay for it but I was only 19 and my fathers health was failing badly and I had no body to go to for advice. I can still kick myself every time I drive by there. Everyone out there- if you get a chance, take it!! Would be worth hundreds of thousand of dollars now.

#2700959 - Fri Jun 22 2012 10:48 PM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
Joe the Logger Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: North Eastern,Pa
We never had any more vandalism, theft or trouble since we befriended our closest neighbor ( farmer) about 20 years ago. He is like the sheriff of those hills, nothing gets past him, and you don't want to be his enemy. After years of harsh words, trespassing, and bad vibes, we apologized, welcomed him and his family, and all has gone smoothly since. If you understand HIS perspective, his family has been there since the 1820's, we arrived in the 1950's.

Edited by Joe the Logger (Fri Jun 22 2012 10:50 PM)

#2701364 - Sat Jun 23 2012 08:26 PM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
PAlimbhanger Online   content
veteran

Loc: In the pines
We also have "neighbors" look after our camp as well. One time on a late afternoon I had rented a moving truck to move some things in and one of them saw the truck thought someone broke in and was removing things. He went passed like nothing happened went down the road and waited. We later drove passed him and then he pulled out and started to "tail" me. I thought I'd better pull off and show him it was me. I stopped and waived him to go passed but he stayed behind me and was in the process of calling the authorities so I jumped out and then he recognized me. He said, Boy I thought someone was stealing your stuff and I was getting ready to call the police. I said thanks for keeping an eye on the place. When we bump into each other now and then I still thank him.

#2701381 - Sat Jun 23 2012 09:39 PM Re: Local Yocals [Re: comblockshooter]
pigstyconrad Offline
On the board

Comblockshooter...I just checked my post again to make sure...but I never used the word "yocal" anywhere in the post. The creater of this subject did. And, I never use the term "yocal".

#2701385 - Sat Jun 23 2012 09:47 PM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
comblockshooter Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: jeff co pa
just because it was under your post don't mean it was directed at you. sorry if you thought that way

#2701479 - Sun Jun 24 2012 07:35 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
DIYASUB Offline

Stopped counting

Loc: NORTHERN NEW YORK STATE
"Local Yocal"? Whut is that, some sort of sugar free soda pop that city folk drink?

#2701491 - Sun Jun 24 2012 07:59 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
jimsdad Offline
Honored

Loc: Chester County, PA
The way people that live in an area (community) treat other people who have camps in the same area is not that much different that how people are treated in a community that they did not grow up in but in which they live. I have lived in a lot of small towns and one of the very first things that is asked by neighbors is "...when did you graduate from HS?". The point being that they want to establish the tribal affiliation or discover that the new person is more than a new quantity, but an outsider as well.... Everything is local and most of it is based on when we graduated HS and who we graduated with.

#2701520 - Sun Jun 24 2012 09:02 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: jimsdad]
Big Redneck Offline
Honored

Loc: Clarion Co. Pa
Old story but full of truth.

Fellow buys a piece of land with a house on it and the day he moves in an older gentleman stops by to greet him. They talk a while and the new home owner asks the older Gent "how are the people who live around here". The older Gent thinks awhile and replys "how where your neighbors where you lived before" answer "Why they were all SOB's, treated me terrible" The older Gent just smiled and said "I think you will find them the same here".

Think about it!!!!

#2701523 - Sun Jun 24 2012 09:06 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: jimsdad]
DennyF Offline
Geezer Emeritus
Stopped counting

How it often works in many communities, especially the more rural areas. I tend to get a pass at camp, because my dad was born/raised in the area and I still have oodles of kin around there.

We have a few farmers near my camp, owned by people from downstate. One family originally from Long Island, NY, has been there for over 30 years. If it weren't for the fact that the hubby tends to really annoy the locals, they might've become more accepted by now?

His wife asked me some years ago, how long they had to live there before folks quit refering to them as flatlanders. I told her that if she croaks and they drag her carcass back to LI for burial, then she'd have always been a flatlander.

But if they plant her in Tioga County, then from that point forward she'll have been a local. She stil laughs about that'un, but said she actually thinks I am correct?

smirk

Years ago we had a squabble at a club board meeting, about all the board members that live somewhere other than the town our gunclub's address indicates. When it was my turn to "hear about it", I pointed out that I was actually born in that town's little hospital in 1946 and asked how many who live there now, were also born there. We never heard much about that subject again.

grin

Quote:
"Local Yocal"? Whut is that, some sort of sugar free soda pop that city folk drink?

You're just confuseled because most of the folks up your way, tend to make their own beverages.

whistle

#2701541 - Sun Jun 24 2012 09:35 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: DennyF]
Big Redneck Offline
Honored

I'm a local, born and raised in this little part of the world. I have seen folks buy a little piece of ground and all the sudden they are kings of the castle (or at least they think they are). They start looking down at the Rednecks and HillBilly's, cowboying on the roads, running 4 wheelers over and/or hunting on everyones land after posting theirs and they wonder why they are at war with the locals.

A ton of others buy land, meet the locals and treat them as they would like to be treated. They get along fine, treat each other with respect and watch out for their property as if it were their own.

Will the new guy always be a "Burger" (someone from the Pittsburgh area) or a "mupere" (someone from Ohio) Yep! Same as I would always be called "that big ol' Redneck" in their home turf.

Nothing wrong with getting a "handle" it's the tone of voice that goes with it that Shows how much respect that name has earned you!

Edited by Big Redneck (Sun Jun 24 2012 09:36 AM)
Edit Reason: Redneck kaint spel

#2701574 - Sun Jun 24 2012 10:16 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Big Redneck]
DennyF Offline
Geezer Emeritus
Stopped counting

Quote:
I have seen folks buy a little piece of ground and all the sudden they are kings of the castle (or at least they think they are). They start looking down at the Rednecks and HillBilly's...

Pretty much how it's worked most of the time, where my camp is near the Potter/Tioga/NY border area. Mentioned before how the guys that bought about 90 acres of my uncle's farm, then posted it to the hilt and didn't want any of the locals on it during buck seasons.

That eventually changed over the years. Now they let one adjoining farmer pasture their land (he also keeps the two, large hillside pastures brush-hogged). They finally figured out that a few of the local boys trudging around, meant them seeing more deer from their deer stands, so all is better now.

My favorite, is the guy that bought my aunt's dairy farm over in Potter in the late 1960s. He had hunted that area for years and was welcome on most of the farms. When he bought my aunt's place, he posted it to death and went around telling all of his new neighbors, that they were no longer welcome on "his land".

Kinda bit him in the butt when the owner of largest farm next to him heard that, then told the dingbat that he'd never set foot on my aunt's place to hunt, but now the newboy was no longer allowed to keep hunting on him, like he'd been doing for years, either.

blush

So the guy that once had about 600-700 acres to roam about on in deer seasons, then found himself confined to the the 200 acres he'd just bought and posted. Same family still owns my aunt's old place and it is still posted about every ten feet around the perimeters.

I get along well with most of my camp neighbors and intend to keep it that way. They're there everyday, I just visit from time to time.

#2701575 - Sun Jun 24 2012 10:18 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
Ripnmax Offline
veteran

Had a Dud drive up my lane, stopped, got out of his truck and unfolded a tax map and laid it across the hood of his pick-up, put his nose in the air and began looking around like he knew something. I walked over and asked if he needed some help and he replied that he was going to purchase a landlocked 16 acre parcel of land located behind me and that I would have to give him a Right-of-way into it. The conversation was short and I havn't seen the Dud since.

#2701577 - Sun Jun 24 2012 10:21 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: DennyF]
Big Redneck Offline
Honored

thumbs thumbs

#2701590 - Sun Jun 24 2012 10:39 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Ripnmax]
DennyF Offline
Geezer Emeritus
Stopped counting

Chances are you may actually "have to give him" a ROW someday, if he wants one and is willing to jump thru all the legal hoops? Just how it works in PA.

#2701599 - Sun Jun 24 2012 10:50 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: DennyF]
Ripnmax Offline
veteran

I have won (while getting educated on ROW's)on two prior occasions involving easements and since I was not selling the land to him or ever gave access to it I'd bet it would of remained as it still remains today...landlocked.

#2701636 - Sun Jun 24 2012 11:45 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Ripnmax]
DennyF Offline
Geezer Emeritus
Stopped counting

In the majority of cases involving a simple access ROW to a piece of landlocked land that they own, they get it.

Been involved in a few, none have ever been denied by the courts if properly documented, processed and legitimate needs have been demonstrated. In many cases, ROWs were already indicated in deeds going back to the 1800s, but no one ever took the time to look them up and document them.

My better half once spent hundreds of hours at our courthouse about 25 years ago, researching old deeds that went back, in some cases, to the early 1800s. She eventually prevailed in court, got over 30 acres transferred to her then-husband's adjoining mountain property; Plus found additional ROWs of record that benefitted two of his neighbors that thought their land was landlocked. Those neighbors eventually compensated her for her time, since she'd saved them a pile of money in legal fees by finding those documented ROWs.

Simple fact is that there are still likely thousands of acres of "mountain ground" in PA, for which there is no current owner of record, nor any current taxes paid on them. The acreage she got for her ex-husband had produced no county/township taxes for over 100 years.

Takes lots of work to find and document them, in order to proceed through court to gain title to them. Same with ROWs.

We just went through this three years ago at our sportsmen's club, when a landlocked parcel adjoining our 154 acres was sold. The owner (who it turned out, didn't even have clear title to the parcel) sold it as 40 acres, when in fact it was less than 20 acres, since much of it overlapped our recent recorded land survey. We prevailed in court on the boundary issues.

ROW wasn't an issue with us, because another property owner wound up selling the new owner a ROW out to the twp. road.

#2701854 - Sun Jun 24 2012 05:46 PM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
Danesdad Offline
VIP

Loc: Westmoreland county PA
The locals around my camp are a nice, friendly lot. Two in particular are extremely helpful and they love my son. They are a considerate couple who have helped me immensely.
I consider them friends. Most of the people there locals, and flatlanders get along pretty well. Waving in passing, eventually turns into stopping by to BS and maybe have a beer. I'll go by when they are stacking wood and lend a hand, they'll help me with some wiring or whatever I'm working on. This is how I get along with them. As was posted earlier, treat them as you would like to be treated and generally, they'll respond in kind.

I also try to stay out of local politics and gossip. When one local is badmouthing another, I'll just say something like, "He was always nice to me." and let it go at that.

Edited by Danesdad (Sun Jun 24 2012 05:47 PM)

#2702891 - Tue Jun 26 2012 01:00 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
No Way Offline
journeyman

Loc: Steeler Nation
Redneck you said a mouthfull. Most city slickers feel that when they go to the mountains or move to the country they can do anything they want and everybody is cool to it. WROOOOONG!It's rare when my neighbors at camp know that I'm there unless they see me leave to go fishing or to buy something at the store or my lights are on at night.I don't blast boom-boom music or shoot my guns for fun,but that's me.I pray that when the old ones pass that their properties don't go to a party animal.

#2703014 - Tue Jun 26 2012 09:23 AM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
G.C. Archer Offline
veteran

Loc: Greene County, PA
We have an older gentleman who lives right next door to our camp in East Brady. The guy totally lives off of the land. He has a vehicle, but rarely uses it unless 100% necessary. Have to have a respect for the guy.
2A

#2703129 - Tue Jun 26 2012 12:50 PM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
Bearklr Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
It's pretty tough to ever break the flatlander handle. Our camp along Pine Creek was built before Slate run existed and no road even went past Cammal. My great grandfather used to take a train up through the valley and hop off at camp and row a boat across. The Tiadaghton State Forrest was pretty much bought around us. To this day you can still see a tiny three acre parcel of land smack in the middle of it and that's ours. I guess you could say my family has been going up there since before most of the towns existed that the locals call home. Still flat landers to them though.

#2703141 - Tue Jun 26 2012 01:33 PM Re: Local Yocals [Re: pigstyconrad]
Uncle Nicky Offline
old hand

Loc: Montgomery County, PA, USA
Originally Posted By: pigstyconrad
On the other hand...there are some locals that love to stick it Especially when it comes to paying someone to get some work done around the place. I've had some verbal agreements to do work for $500 end up costing me $1000 by the time things were done. I know that it is my fault for not getting it in writing. I guess I just still have faith that all the residents of Potter County are good, hardworking people. I also have found that no one wants to do any work when I need it done. I remember calling 10 people around the county to throw a deck on the camp for me so I could spend less time working and more time fishing. Only 1 guy actually called me back with an estimate. And, he gave me an estimate on the deck that he wanted to build, not what I asked him to build.

Ran into this before also, what I found was money talks, BS walks. When you DO find someone reliable, take care of them... a little monetary tip, a couple cases of beer, or hunting priviledges can go a LONG way, and the word will soon get around. Actually, I have more trouble with the flatlanders from my neck of the woods that have bought land surrounding my camp 2gunsfiring...I get along with the locals that live there just fine.

#2703151 - Tue Jun 26 2012 01:49 PM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
SoPoHunter Offline
The man

Loc: PA
One thing i've noticed as a local. Just for thought. A camp with a great group of guys that have never had one issue invite people to "Bear camp". The buddies end up at the bars hammered, picking fights, etc. They may never return to camp and really have no ties to the place but that outfit has a bad reputation they aren't likely to live down anytime soon and definetly end up with somewhat of a target on their backs. It's a shame but I've seen it unfold more than once and even saw threats of camp burnings thrown around due to it.

I get along well with just about everyone and I know a lot of camp owners personally. Everyone is not that way though.

Suggest you be picky about who you invite to camp though, they represent your camp while they are here.

Edited by pottercountyman (Tue Jun 26 2012 01:50 PM)

#2703482 - Tue Jun 26 2012 09:37 PM Re: Local Yocals [Re: Forest County]
Forest County Offline
On the board

I did not start this thread to [censored] anyone off with the term yocal. Its just something that we have all heard before. As a matter a fact I have great friendships with many locals from my camp and agree treat others the way you want to be treated.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
207 registered (''TEAM STICK'EM', ACRex, 257bob, 17 furball, 3 Jaegers, adpago, 17 invisible), 458 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
Treed, MattyG84, Bobcat68, egs62, Willard
33813 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Why I like the Habitat Forum
by RB-HPA
This past weekend
by Moss
Deer cushion recommendations
by Finn Anthony