Topic Options
#2688931 - Tue Jun 05 2012 05:10 PM Re: 7600 .35 Whelen for sale [Re: MrC]
Jericho Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NW PA
Grices also had a run of Browning Abolts in 358 Win and
they dont seem to be very popular, nothing wrong with
them though.

#2688935 - Tue Jun 05 2012 05:21 PM Re: 7600 .35 Whelen for sale [Re: winchesterbob]
35Whelan Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
This is so tempting.. I already have a 35Whelen in a 700 Classic... Love that gun and round... Was brought up in Western Pa on a 35 Marlin.. Adding the 35 cal. bullet to a 06 case just make's such a potent round..

#2688980 - Tue Jun 05 2012 06:29 PM Re: 7600 .35 Whelen for sale [Re: winchesterbob]
hunterdan199 Offline
old hand

Loc: north jersey
i have a remington 750 35 whelen carbine and it is a dream to shoot, some day i will find my 7600 35 whelen carbine........

#2689007 - Tue Jun 05 2012 06:54 PM Re: 7600 .35 Whelen for sale [Re: winchesterbob]
SpiritNugent Offline
Stopped counting

Loc: Innatree
I'll let you guys know what numbers I get on the chronograph here soon, as I am about to do the rangework for my 7600 35 Whelen Carbine. I am expecting 2600 fps with a 225 grain partition and Varget. We will see what happens. I have been known to hotrod a round, in the Remington pumps, a time or two. So we will see what the numbers print. I know a guy shooting a 700 Classic cut down to 18.5" getting 2600 +/- with the same combo.

I carried a 760 BDL .30-06 for many years bear hunting. I am, for the first time in my life, going to carry something different this year. I am not sure if it was the 4th day getting added, but this past year, on day #4 especially, that BDL got heavy. I think after the year we had, though, hauling 7 bears out, everyone's gun felt heavy laugh

A 7600 35 whelen in a carbine version is the ticket for driving bears IMO... A fast handling gun and a round that packs a punch.

That 760 BDL will see some time in the future still... but this year I will be exploring this new rifle.

#2689173 - Tue Jun 05 2012 09:40 PM Re: 7600 .35 Whelen for sale [Re: winchesterbob]
huntinlanscaper Offline
On the board

Loc: Berks County,Pa
I own 5 Whelens 2 of which are 7600s and I would buy a carbine in a heartbeat. Maybe we should try to get something together like a list of people who would preorder AND pay a deposit and approach a distributer like Grices and see if they would try to get a special run done.

#2689267 - Wed Jun 06 2012 12:44 AM Re: 7600 .35 Whelen for sale [Re: winchesterbob]
BlackBruin Offline
old hand

Loc: Lycoming County
For 50 buck u can make it a carbine with any competent gunsmith, crowned as well.

#2689446 - Wed Jun 06 2012 10:04 AM Re: 7600 .35 Whelen for sale [Re: SpiritNugent]
dce Offline
Stopped counting

Loc: dubois
Originally Posted By: SpiritNugent
I'll let you guys know what numbers I get on the chronograph here soon, as I am about to do the rangework for my 7600 35 Whelen Carbine. I am expecting 2600 fps with a 225 grain partition and Varget. We will see what happens. I have been known to hotrod a round, in the Remington pumps, a time or two. So we will see what the numbers print. I know a guy shooting a 700 Classic cut down to 18.5" getting 2600 +/- with the same combo.

As guess we all dream about the perfect rifle at onbe time or another.I know over the years,I wasted alot of money and spent a bunch of time coming up with the perfect gun.In the end,I realized that there isn't much difference between any modern cartridge.A shot to the vitals should result in a dead animal every time.Even more important than that is finding a rifle that you have confidence in and can shoot the best.For the type of hunting I do,A lightweight bolt action suits me the best.Other guys may like a pump.I can honestly say,I can't think of one time over the past 30 years that a different rifle would have made a difference in the outcome of a hunt.With that said,nothin at all wrong with having as many as you can afford.

I carried a 760 BDL .30-06 for many years bear hunting. I am, for the first time in my life, going to carry something different this year. I am not sure if it was the 4th day getting added, but this past year, on day #4 especially, that BDL got heavy. I think after the year we had, though, hauling 7 bears out, everyone's gun felt heavy laugh

A 7600 35 whelen in a carbine version is the ticket for driving bears IMO... A fast handling gun and a round that packs a punch.

That 760 BDL will see some time in the future still... but this year I will be exploring this new rifle.

#2689578 - Wed Jun 06 2012 01:41 PM Re: 7600 .35 Whelen for sale [Re: BlackBruin]
Davy Crockett Offline
veteran

Loc: NEPA
Originally Posted By: BlackBruin
For 50 buck u can make it a carbine with any competent gunsmith, crowned as well.

True, and I did it once to a 270 that I later sold. Was tempted to buy a couple whelens I came across and have one cut also, but I already have more guns than I need. As long as the smith doesn't botch it up so it shoots good. Some just want the factory one without having to mess with it and that says "carbine" right on it.

#2689633 - Wed Jun 06 2012 03:24 PM Re: 7600 .35 Whelen for sale [Re: winchesterbob]
richdeerht Offline
old hand

Loc: Lock Haven, PA
Nuge-
60 grains of Varget pushes a 225 gr Acubond to almost 2700 fps in my M700 classic. Good bear smackin' load.

#2689863 - Wed Jun 06 2012 08:00 PM Re: 7600 .35 Whelen for sale [Re: winchesterbob]
SpiritNugent Offline
Stopped counting

Loc: Innatree
Originally Posted By: dce
As guess we all dream about the perfect rifle at onbe time or another.I know over the years,I wasted alot of money and spent a bunch of time coming up with the perfect gun.In the end,I realized that there isn't much difference between any modern cartridge.A shot to the vitals should result in a dead animal every time.Even more important than that is finding a rifle that you have confidence in and can shoot the best.For the type of hunting I do,A lightweight bolt action suits me the best.Other guys may like a pump.I can honestly say,I can't think of one time over the past 30 years that a different rifle would have made a difference in the outcome of a hunt.With that said,nothin at all wrong with having as many as you can afford.

The pumps, especially thr 760 BDL's, are like a 3rd arm for me. They point and aim flawlessly. I, like you, have never found myself needing what the pump action offers. Sure, I get looks from people when they see me carrying my pumps in hunting season, and I could only imagine they are thinking I am a lead slinger. But to date, the only time I fired a second shot at a game animal with one of those 760's was this past hunting season, when my bear dropped, and tried getting back up.

As for the cartridges, I tend to agree. Proper placed shots are always key. My 760 BDL .270 Winchester took that PA black bear down in his tracks with a "dinky" 130 grain pill... grin

With the shot I placed on that bear, A 223 with a 60 grain partition would have done the job.

Bullet choice and shot placement. That is the name of the game.

Then there comes a time when one must decide what is best for his current hunting situation.

I hunt out of a tree stand for deer. I can haul me up a cannon and hunt with it all day. Any rifle, any weight, any size. It doesn't matter. I am sitting in a tree stand, and that rifle is not causing me any fatigue.

Then there is the 4 day bear season. I am on my feet moving, climbing hills, crawling through briars, grapevines and rhodedendron over your head, and doing it at a fast rate. A heavy gun would slow me down. I do now want a long barrel, I do not want weight. I do not want big scopes. I want maneuverability. For some that rifle is a 22" bolt action model 700. For others it is a 22" barreled Tikka or Savage. For me it was always the 760 BDL in .30-06. It carried well, it pointed well. However, this past season it had a little too much weight by Day 3 and 4. That is why I decided to try a carbine for the 2012 bear season.

I already have a 7600 35 Whelen in a 22" barrel. If I wanted to use the Whelen because I didn't believe in my .30-06, it would happened long ago. Like I said, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any bear we have in Pa with my .270. I have confidence in my load, my ability, my bullet selection. Confidence in your setup, as you point out, is a big factor in the big scheme of things.

But it just so happens, since I decided to go with a carbine, that the 7600 Whelen carbine popped up.

When I had first decided to go with a carbine (and as you know, I am a 760 BDL nut), I planned to either roll with a .30-06 or .308 carbine, and throw a BDL stock on it as it would essentially be just a chopped version of what I was currently using. My big issue over the years was my 22" barrel, being that I am a fairly larger fella, would get me in tight spots. Several times I noticed a carbine would have been ideal. Mostly when I was crawling through the thick stuff. One learns how to carry their rig over time, as did I, but there is no question a shorter barrel would be easier.

But any gun nut like me likes originality too.

For some, like you said, it doesn't matter. They carry what they have. We have a guy carrying a 26" barreled Mossberg with a slug barrel. God bless that fella. laugh

We also have guys using user friendly, low recoiling rounds like the 7mm-08. Once again, confidence and shot placement, and knowing your rig.

I figure I'll try the carbine out... see how it goes. I could be wasting my time, as you said, with trying to find the perfect rig. But it's an itch I have to scratch right now... I'll have my old bread and butter along and can switch after day 1 if I don't like the carbine. We will see.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
69 registered (Badwolf, 1MoreGun, arrowflight1, archeryman32, ar33c9, archer1214, 11 invisible), 370 Guests and 103 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
cz550, RuffsNSetters, JMackanick, vern faulkver, Spencer12345
33089 Registered Users
Recent Posts
The last letter game
by Bearclaw
1 second ago
McKean Co. Camps
by Blacksmith
1 minute 51 seconds ago