TurkeyMike Offline
Honored

Loc: Cambria County
epic

#2683464 - Tue May 29 2012 10:59 AM Re: Tiger trout [Re: zkoutdoors]
spangler2k3 Offline
veteran

Loc: Williamsport, PA / Clinton Co...
great pic! if it were me and it were of legal limit, i might have taken it from the creek.. correct me if i am wrong but tigers will put even more of a whoopin on the brookie population than the browns

nonetheless great pic and great catch and release teaching your kid

#2683468 - Tue May 29 2012 11:02 AM Re: Tiger trout [Re: zkoutdoors]
attackone Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Clearville Pa
i cant see one tiger trout hurting the brookie population

#2683819 - Tue May 29 2012 06:10 PM Re: Tiger trout [Re: attackone]
mauser06 Online   content
The man

Loc: PA
Wow! Awesome to go back and catch him again!!! Be cool to measure hin each year!

One tiger will not hurt the brookies hardly at all..if at all...they may be more aggressive and the more dominate fish but there is likely obly one in the entire creek...

#2683942 - Tue May 29 2012 08:21 PM Re: Tiger trout [Re: zkoutdoors]
Kwright032 Online   content
veteran

Loc: In a Blind, Pa
Pretty cool to catch him again!!

#2684135 - Wed May 30 2012 07:52 AM Re: Tiger trout [Re: zkoutdoors]
troutbert Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I've caught 3 wild tiger trout so far. All were small. I've talked to others who have caught them and PFBC guys who sometimes turn them up electrofishing, and all have described them as small. A trout 4-6 inches long is not much threat to the brookie population, whereas a 14+ inch brown trout will eat some brookies.

And I also caught a bunch of stocked tiger trout when the PFBC was stocking them. I didn't see any indication that tiger trout are more aggressive than other trout. The "tiger" name comes from their stripes, not from their behavior.

#2684320 - Wed May 30 2012 12:56 PM Re: Tiger trout [Re: zkoutdoors]
muskyman62 Online   content
veteran

Loc: Western PA
thats a great fish but that is one cool kid! hehe...congrats!

#2684345 - Wed May 30 2012 01:28 PM Re: Tiger trout [Re: zkoutdoors]
spangler2k3 Offline
veteran

Loc: Williamsport, PA / Clinton Co...
troutbert.. actually tiger trout were initially introduced because of their "aggressive" instincts making them easier to catch and to control a certain type of minnnow population if i remember reading right... i just think to myself what a big brown does to a small native stream.. you get the picture, not making a big debate over it.. it is what it is no matter how we shake it.

#2989133 - Wed Mar 13 2013 01:14 PM Re: Tiger trout [Re: zkoutdoors]
zkoutdoors Offline
enthusiast

I just spoke with someone from the Fish & Boat Commission about wild tiger trout for an article I'm working on for one of my newspapers. They stopped stocking them because they already had another novelty fish in the golden rainbow. They did not grow as fast as the goldens so they decided it was a waste of money. He said the average size of wild tigers they find in PA are 4-6" with the largest he's ever seen being 9".

#2989142 - Wed Mar 13 2013 01:26 PM Re: Tiger trout [Re: Trout 2003]
zkoutdoors Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Trout 2003
Originally Posted By: ChrisNeffFCO
There was a thread not too long ago about Tiger trout. One of the reasons the state quit their Tiger trout program was the low hatch rate. So they are basically doomed from the start in the wild.

That's probably not entirely true. They are no more doomed then any other trout from the beginning once born. Keep in mind that any trout born in the wild has a nearly impossible shot of making it to the 7-10" range so naturally any wild tiger trout making it to that size is ultra rare. Just how nature works. That doesn't make them any less capable of survival as they are gifted with the same skills as their parents to survive. Of the 8 wild tigers I've caught they have all looked plump, happy, and healthy! I do believe that the fertilized egg only has something like a 5-10% survival rate for tigers unless heat shocked but I could be wrong with that, making it even more amazing to catch one.
You wont find much info on their rarity. At least not statistically speaking. You have to have a stream with both wild browns and native brooks but the ratio doesn't seem to matter (at least for the places I've caught them in). Two years back I caught a wild tiger from a stream that I have never seen nor heard of a native brook trout being in but I'll bet in the headwaters they are there in small numbers. In reality all it takes is for one female brown to drop eggs and have the brookie male accidently fertilize them with close redds. The odds of catching one are just rediculous.

I once lost one I nearly had in my hands. You'd have thought I had just lost a 30" bruiser. I wanted to fall to my knees and cry. To me it is the greatest trophy and accomplishment in all of trout fishing. It's awesome because you've just landed a fish that 99.999% of all other trout anglers will never get to catch. It's a special thing.

From the research I've found, tiger trout only have a 5% chance of hatching since the brook and brown trout have different amount of chromosomes. Hatcheries used to heat shock the water have a success hatch rate above 80%. According to the Fish & Boat Commission wild trout only have a 10% chance of survival the first year.

So for a wild tiger trout to grow to that size it has to go through the following:

-Have a wild brook trout fertilize a wild brown trout egg
-Have a 5% of hatching
-Have a 10% chance of surviving its first year
-Avoid predators and grow to an adult

Edited by zkoutdoors (Wed Mar 13 2013 01:43 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
257 registered (284, .300 savage, 10der222, 2ForSlashing, 25-OTT6, 25ftup, 29 invisible), 646 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
GarXBow, chez, gophergunner, ruger257rob, Doug Bowser
33218 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Maine Flintlock Bear Harvest!!
by BlackBruin
1 minute 31 seconds ago
2 Goose Chair blinds and Insulated Kennel Jacket
by mikethehelopilot
12 minutes 49 seconds ago
Starting to get pretty jacked for the opener!!
by dstewart
15 minutes 20 seconds ago
Random sentence game
by JGR
16 minutes 46 seconds ago
WTB STEVENS 238A 20ga CLIP
by Tuck It
17 minutes 55 seconds ago
time to hang up the camo
by Matchman
18 minutes 54 seconds ago
Annapolis City Dock, bad idea
by atr
18 minutes 56 seconds ago
New Topics
2 Goose Chair blinds and Insulated Kennel Jacket
by mikethehelopilot
Hang-On Hanging Help
by tippofthehat
22 mag ammo posted in the classified forum
by john1951
05:40 PM
Sargeant Crabapple Size?
by pahoytman
05:16 PM
Garmin GPS12 for sale
by gentleben
05:01 PM
What's cooking for the holiday
by TATERDAVID
04:45 PM
Starting to get pretty jacked for the opener!!
by CBB
03:23 PM
Top Posters
great white hunter 35059
RonM 29181
RB-HPA 27767
Bluetick 23727
DennyF 22853
TATERDAVID 22595
SigPro2340 21448
Peppy 20767
DIYASUB 20287