Click here HuntingPA.com
Outdoor Community

Hunting Dog Forum

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2643885 - Tue Apr 10 2012 06:29 PM Re: Looking into new dog food...need help! [Re: George K.]
HarnedOutdoors Offline
apprentice

Loc: Perry County
I use Purina Pro Plan with my 18 month old Weim...he loves the beef and rice mix. He's never had any digestive issues or really bad gas. I usually mix in a little Purina Pro Plan chicken and rice wet food at dinner time too. It's a bit pricey, but you can usually get it at Petco or another retailer for about $35-$40 for a 35lb bag...plus you can usually find a coupon somewhere.

#2644216 - Tue Apr 10 2012 10:02 PM Re: Looking into new dog food...need help! [Re: George K.]
Big Don Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Northumberland PA USA
I've been feeding Diamond Extreme Athlete for about a year and am in the process of going back to Pro Plan Performance. Dogs did well on the Diamond but the stool production seemed excessive and the gas could be smelled inside the truck cab even though the dogs were riding back in the bed in their crates! It was bad!! I don't normally change their feed in the summer, just feed them less.

#2644400 - Wed Apr 11 2012 08:39 AM Re: Looking into new dog food...need help! [Re: George K.]
Lyco Setter Offline
old hand

Loc: In the thick of it.
Scratch the Hi-Energy. Feed them a softball, they'll leave you a basketball.

#2645104 - Wed Apr 11 2012 07:56 PM Re: Looking into new dog food...need help! [Re: George K.]
gsptarget Offline
enthusiast

Loc: My own slice of heaven
I feed my GSP EVO red bites. good stools, very little waste and a great coat. Expensive though but he's worth every penny

#2645482 - Thu Apr 12 2012 12:14 AM Re: Looking into new dog food...need help! [Re: George K.]
Pheasant hunter Offline
On the board

Loc: Archbald, PA
If your going to go with the Diamond brand, I would go with the Diamond Naturals line. A lot better ingredients. I currently feed my 2yr old GSP Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete and she does really well on it, aside from the bad gas. Cheaper food her coat looks dull and gets dandruff. I have a 4 month old Deutsch Kurzhaar (GSP), which I feel Orijen cut with Taste of the Wild since its so rich and the pup is doing great with it. I'm thinking about doing the same with the 2yr old since the coat on the pup is noticeably better, and I mean way better looking. Even the vet was amazed at how good she looked. Only problem is that Orijen isn't cheap. It's about $70 for a 30lb bag, and another 40 for the Taste Of The Wild. Although it does last longer since I use the TOTW to cut the Orijen down a little.

For looking through different foods, check the dog food analysis website. But like someone said above, take the reviews with a grain of salt, and just use the content and ingredients for comparison. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html

Edited by Pheasant hunter (Thu Apr 12 2012 12:15 AM)

#2652403 - Wed Apr 18 2012 10:27 PM Re: Looking into new dog food...need help! [Re: George K.]
t-setter Offline
apprentice

Loc: Tioga County, Pennsylvania
I've been feeding Blue Seal Performance and think it's a quality, reasonably priced dog food. Stools are consistently firm. Gas was not much of an issue with my female, but my male can clear a room in a hurry. Not sure if that's the dog food, or all the pens, nerf darts, occasional remote controls and tissues he eats! Overall, though, I am very satisfied with Blue Seal.

#2652570 - Thu Apr 19 2012 09:17 AM Re: Looking into new dog food...need help! [Re: George K.]
RunNGun410 Offline
On the board

Loc: Western PA
Purina Performance Pro Plan is right up there with about any dog food there is also great taste for the dogs with the shredded blend. I also would feed Exceed and Taste of the wild all great foods.

#2652647 - Thu Apr 19 2012 10:39 AM Re: Looking into new dog food...need help! [Re: Lyco Setter]
Carl Bergen Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Nazareth, Pa 18064
When I first started to go to trials, they would talk about knowing what certain pros fed by walking by their trucks and stake outs. Your nose would tell you.
This thread tells you why there are so many foods and so many opinions. I feed whatever is on sale and they are all doing fine, even the pups!! Don't fall for the marketing!!

#2652933 - Thu Apr 19 2012 05:40 PM Re: Looking into new dog food...need help! [Re: Pheasant hunter]
Ducks-n-Labs Offline
On the board

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Pheasant hunter
If your going to go with the Diamond brand, I would go with the Diamond Naturals line. A lot better ingredients. I currently feed my 2yr old GSP Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete and she does really well on it, aside from the bad gas. Cheaper food her coat looks dull and gets dandruff. I have a 4 month old Deutsch Kurzhaar (GSP), which I feel Orijen cut with Taste of the Wild since its so rich and the pup is doing great with it. I'm thinking about doing the same with the 2yr old since the coat on the pup is noticeably better, and I mean way better looking. Even the vet was amazed at how good she looked. Only problem is that Orijen isn't cheap. It's about $70 for a 30lb bag, and another 40 for the Taste Of The Wild. Although it does last longer since I use the TOTW to cut the Orijen down a little.

For looking through different foods, check the dog food analysis website. But like someone said above, take the reviews with a grain of salt, and just use the content and ingredients for comparison. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html

Wasnt there a recent recall on that line of food?

Edited by Ducks-n-Labs (Thu Apr 19 2012 05:41 PM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Kuvats, RidgwayHunter 
Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
318 registered (143 Coyote ln, 25-OTT6, 3Dcabindweller, 1shot2kills, 17 furball, 2BBuckHunter, 29 invisible), 776 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
backwoods z, Jwright, mike33554, paraguy, Tiadauton
33791 Registered Users
Recent Posts
PGC SEEDLINGS?
by TurkeyMike
0 seconds ago
Firearm shot placement on deer
by TurkeyMike
45 seconds ago