Outdoor Community

General Hunting Forum

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#2622670 - Tue Mar 20 2012 10:15 AM ticks
rflktrman Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Robinson, Indiana county, Pa
I keep hearing ticks are going to be terrible this year. I am considering skipping spring turkey because of them. I am on Enbrel for my rheumatoid arthritis and can't afford to get any infections.

#2622729 - Tue Mar 20 2012 11:01 AM Re: ticks [Re: rflktrman]
Rabbit410 Offline
Honored

Loc: 5C
Not to keep you from spring gobbler, but to confirm about them being bad this year -
Three weeks ago, the boys and I were doing some hiking and 22 plinking. I leaned against a fallen tree and by the time I got to the car, my pantleg had half dozen or more of the little ones!
I was disposing of some old plants and such from the garden this weekend. I took one trip to the edge of the adjacent woods and emptied a barrel. Came back and cleaned up for dinner - a tick was crawling up my arm.
Good thing I stocked up on permethrin last fall!

#2622773 - Tue Mar 20 2012 11:44 AM Re: ticks [Re: rflktrman]
pumpgun Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Under a Hemlock in the rain
i am 50 years old and have been tramping the woods since i could walk and i have never seen them as bad as now. it seems like it got real bad last fall in my areas (2B & 4A) and is even worse now. i got bit on the first day of deer season last fall and went on anti-bio's real quick. i'm thinking turkey season is going to be ridiculous. i have to get some spray soon.

#2622787 - Tue Mar 20 2012 11:56 AM Re: ticks [Re: rflktrman]
Goosehunter Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Schoeneck, Lancaster County
Why Ticks Are Gonna Be Bad This Year

Everywhere you turn, someone is saying this year's mild winter will unleash a ferocious tick season.

Richard S. Ostfeld says they are all wrong.

Ostfeld, a disease ecologist, should know. For more than two decades, he has studied the life cycle of ticks at the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies in Dutchess County.

Ostfeld agrees that the 2012 tick season will be a bad one, but he said weather isn't the cause. Instead, he blames the white-footed mouse and the acorns they devour.

"There is simply no evidence of warm winter weather having any impact on tick populations at all," said Richard S. Ostfeld, a disease ecologist at the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies in Dutchess County.

A bumper crop of acorns in 2010 led to a surge in the population of white-footed mice in 2011, which in turn fed a thriving generation of young ticks, Ostfeld said. The mice are the favorite blood meal of baby ticks, and often they are infected with Lyme.

The mouse outbreak "was unprecedented, and we've been monitoring it for 20-plus years," Ostfeld said.

Black-legged ticks, better known as deer ticks, generally take three blood meals over their two-year lifespan. An adult female tick lays about 3,000 eggs in the spring. The baby ticks, called larvae, hatch in the summer and are disease-free until they feed on an infected animal. Often, their first blood meal is from a mouse. That first meal lasts them through winter, which they survive in pockets of the soil in a state of suspended animation.

They awaken the next spring as hungry teenage ticks called nymphs. Nymphs, which are about the size of a poppy seed, prefer to feed on deer, mice and small mammals, but a human will suffice. Nymphs are most active in May and June. By fall, they have reached adulthood and are looking for one more blood meal before they reproduce and die. Adult ticks that fail to find a meal may survive one more winter to continue their search for a host in the fall.

When the baby ticks hatched in 2011, Ostfeld said they had an abundance of mice to feed on. Each mouse can carry hundreds of larvae, which are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. But this spring, the massive legion of teenage ticks will awaken to a different world because the 2012 acorn crop failed and the mice population crashed.

"This will make matters worse," Ostfeld said. "Those infected nymphs are more likely to crawl on us because there won't be all those little mice vacuum cleaners sucking them up."

The mild winter doesn't change the number of ticks out there, but it does affect their behavior, he said. Ticks wake up when the temperature reaches the upper 30s, so the early warm-up means that adult ticks who failed to find their final blood meal last fall are already on the prowl for a host right now.

"It's the perfect storm," Ostfeld said.

The state Department of Health advises people use DEET, wear long pants and long-sleeve shirts, and check themselves for ticks when visiting wooded areas.

"One tick is just as dangerous as 30 ticks," said Peter M. Constantakes, a DOH spokesman. "We stress taking precautions."

Ostfeld has some good news. The dying mouse population means this year's batch of baby ticks will struggle to find their first meal.

"They may die off and 2013 may be a better year," he said.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Nature-the-trickster-3419367.php#ixzz1pfmYcxfi

#2622807 - Tue Mar 20 2012 12:12 PM Re: ticks [Re: rflktrman]
InVenangoNow Offline
Where's Da Beef?
The man

Loc: Not Here
I have quite a few white oaks, and haven't seen this bumper crop in 4 years.

#2622814 - Tue Mar 20 2012 12:21 PM Re: ticks [Re: rflktrman]
JetMaxx Offline
veteran

Loc: Western Chester County
I live in the woods and I can't walk on the edge of my yard with out getting them on me. Stacking wood yesterday I pulled a couple off. The buck I killed a few years ago out back had over 500 ticks on him. His fur was literally crawling, never seen anything like it.

#2622819 - Tue Mar 20 2012 12:23 PM Re: ticks [Re: rflktrman]
Bodhi Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Beaver County, PA
two of the coldest days of the year in feb I was walking the dog looking for sheds and he brought two home on him. THis is crazy. I cant stand them.

#2623038 - Tue Mar 20 2012 05:06 PM Re: ticks [Re: rflktrman]
HomeintheWoods Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern PA
Like many of us, I spend many hours every week in the woods. I live in the country and it's hard to walk out the back door and not be in the woods. Anyway, I just got back from walking a border where a neighbor is logging his land. I pulled 8 ticks off me during the walk. I have never experienced anything like it. I am convinced I need to start applying a spray before entering the woods, maybe even before going outside.

#2623094 - Tue Mar 20 2012 06:08 PM Re: ticks [Re: rflktrman]
Jabshier1 Offline
journeyman

Loc: 2B
last year I had lyme disease.. went to doctors they said I caught it in time, Red bulls eye on my thigh.. leg gotten stiff, the numb felt like my leg fell off...they gave me meds look like Horse pills I took them for whole month! this year I went in woods looking for Shed, came out in evening stepped in shower with wife, what do you know! i had 3 ticks crawling on my back! all black tick (males), from what doctor told me the (female) ticks with Redish-brown on ticks back are carrier of Lyme disease.... but so far, I been seeing more and more ticks in last 5 years I been out archery hunting, than I ever saw in past....I used butcher deer for my dad every year when I was younger, we did around 40 to 50 deer during rifle season, and I've never seen to many deer covered in ticks, Like I do today!it's even more worse today then it was 10 years ago...

#2623111 - Tue Mar 20 2012 06:28 PM Re: ticks [Re: rflktrman]
longfellow Offline
On the board

Loc: blue mountain
Go to the Turkey hunting section on the PA hunting forum and you will find what turkey hunters use to kill the ticks that get on them in the spring.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Ole' Raspy, Peppy, treestand91 
Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
231 registered (5chunter, 4x4dad, 06canyon, 3D Hunter, 308 ruger, 18 invisible), 553 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
kimsmm, SamyIsh, Andyinpa, C Jay, JustTheTip?
33200 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Gunsmiths in PA?
by outofstater
elk zone 10.
by mybuzz
Fire woodin fur deer...
by Hunterknapp16
glad to have co workers that used to goose hunt
by alex folmar
Michigan Legislature Protects Future of Profession
by casey
Discounted Fishing License Available for Labor Day
by casey
Pending: Game Fish Commission Merger Bill
by oliver88
New Topics
Michigan Legislature Protects Future of Profession
by casey
Discounted Fishing License Available for Labor Day
by casey
Fire woodin fur deer...
by Swamped
10:03 PM
Wanted 35 rem brass (cash or trades)
by TRAPJAW
09:34 PM
Marlin Lever Action Rifles
by keystoneMAN 85
09:26 PM
TC triumph loads
by HNTRDAVE
09:22 PM
Otters
by Madison408
09:16 PM
Top Posters
great white hunter 35033
RonM 29068
RB-HPA 27759
Bluetick 23725
DennyF 22853
TATERDAVID 22588
SigPro2340 21444
Peppy 20767
DIYASUB 20269
John Henry 18922
Forum Stats
33200 Members
99 Forums
108852 Topics
1376179 Posts

Max Online: 1692 @ Mon Dec 02 2013 08:38 PM

Please note: To post or reply to posts you must be a registered member and be logged in. You can register by clicking on New User on the message board menu.