HuntingPA.com Forums

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2618922 - Fri Mar 16 2012 03:00 PM Re: EPA/DIMICK RESULTS [Re: buzz]
g17 Offline
On the board

Loc: nepa
Originally Posted By: buzz
I believe the original problem was shallow methane getting into aquifier, and that is what Cabot and Dep were talking about. I am not positive that was all, and dont have time to look it up right now.

There were acusations that a slew of other chemicals are in there water, and all from gas drilling. as I read it, the EPA test show that is not true. I am sure further test will show more results.

Bottom line to me so far......The antis put a big dog and pony show on over in Dimick makeing all kinds of claims.....the EPA results to date show that as usual, they were all talk.

The original problem was indeed methane getting into the water but as testing has shown, it was thermogenic methane from the devonian shale formation - not shallow.

"There were acusations that a slew of other chemicals are in there water, and all from gas drilling. as I read it, the EPA test show that is not true."

Did you not read this part of the initial testing: "the samples indicated the presence of arsenic and OTHER COMPOUNDS that will require further tests at some homes"

by the way, It's Dimock, PA. and still waiting for your thoughts on the Franklin Forks video.....

#2618925 - Fri Mar 16 2012 03:01 PM Re: EPA/DIMICK RESULTS [Re: DennyF]
g17 Offline
On the board

Originally Posted By: DennyF
Quote:
Let me ask you this, if the DEP said the water was no good, If Cabot's own testing last year showed the water was no good, If the EPA looking over the dep and cabot's testing said the water was no good. Would you drink it? All of the above events have happened.

I believe the "operative issue" here, is whether or not the well water was rendered "no good" due to the recent drilling; OR is determined to have been a pre-existing condition, unrelated to the gas drilling?

Which to me, is what the article is about.

Guess we'll have to wait for the rest of the results and hopefully they'll release the results instead of summarizing. When they say "the samples indicated the presence of arsenic and other compounds that will require further tests at some homes", I'm not sure what they found.

#2618951 - Fri Mar 16 2012 03:35 PM Re: EPA/DIMICK RESULTS [Re: g17]
buzz Offline
Honored

Loc: Bradford County
Is arsenic found in water wells in Pa before gas drilling was here ?

All I know about the Franklin Forks well is a homemade YouTube video. I am sure if there is a issue there, related to gas drilling, it will make headline news and credible people will investigate and find the cause.
The anti crowd had some of those home made videos which didnt amount to any truth....time will tell with this one.

#2619088 - Fri Mar 16 2012 05:27 PM Re: EPA/DIMICK RESULTS [Re: g17]
DennyF Offline
Geezer Emeritus
Stopped counting

Loc: Cumberland County 5A
Quote:
When they say "the samples indicated the presence of arsenic and other compounds that will require further tests at some homes", I'm not sure what they found.

Believe they said those compounds were found in the wells tested thus far, but at lower levels, which may be about what is generally found to be "acceptable" per normal testing standards?

Depending on the water found in certain areas, there are standards established for what is and what is not, acceptable. Those include various chemicals, minerals and other goodies commonly found in various local aquifers.

All water is not "created" equally for various reasons and all water is not contaminated to some degree, by industrial or other activities.

#2619091 - Fri Mar 16 2012 05:29 PM Re: EPA/DIMICK RESULTS [Re: buzz]
g17 Offline
On the board

Originally Posted By: buzz
Is arsenic found in water wells in Pa before gas drilling was here ?

All I know about the Franklin Forks well is a homemade YouTube video. I am sure if there is a issue there, related to gas drilling, it will make headline news and credible people will investigate and find the cause.
The anti crowd had some of those home made videos which didnt amount to any truth....time will tell with this one.

Of course arsenic and other compounds are found in the water, and trace amounts won't hurt you. Cabot's own testing which actually brought the EPA in showed much more than trace amounts. More along the lines of what some of the neighbors are experiencing now. (at least according to the DEP and Cabot). Does this mean whatever is in the water is migrating away from the original impacted area? I don't know, nobody does - which is why it's important to see the results for the remaining 45+ wells in the area. I'm more interested in the other stuff they found (quote the samples indicated the presence of arsenic and other compounds). What is it and at what levels?

Quote "I am sure if there is a issue there, related to gas drilling, it will make headline news "

Actually it didn't make headline news and the DEP has been out twice. First test showing 30+mg/liter methane, 2nd test showing 60+mg/liter methane. The results as to whether it is biogenic or thermogenic have not come back yet. Neither has the results for any other compounds.

Seems sometimes "homemade" videos are the only source of information as witnessed by the Franklin Township meeting where all this information came to light, at least to some of us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8l61X7nqT0

#2619097 - Fri Mar 16 2012 05:40 PM Re: EPA/DIMICK RESULTS [Re: buzz]
timberdoodle Offline
Stopped counting

Loc: Bradford Co. Pa
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2008/2008-08-28-093.html

Issued without comment by New Jersey environmental officials, it shows that more than 12 percent of over 51,000 residential wells sampled failed to meet drinking water standards.

This means that people drinking from those 6,120 wells are drinking polluted water.

Found in 2,209 wells, the most frequent violation was radioactive contamination, called in the report "gross alpha particle activity."

Water in New Jersey's private wells tests too high for radioactivity, arsenic and other contaminants. (Photo by Ray Rocket Creasey)
The term "gross alpha" does not refer to a specific contaminant, but to a group of radioactive elements found in drinking water. Data on gross alpha particle radioactivity in New Jersey private wells are included and evaluated in this report for the first time, the report states.

The next most common violations found through sampling were high levels of arsenic, found in 1,445 wells; nitrates, found in1,399 wells; fecal coliform or E. coli, found in 1,136 wells; volatile organic compounds, found in 702 wells; and mercury, found in 215 wells.

These figures do not count the contamination from lead, found in more than 5,200 wells, because the state Department of Environmental Protection considered the sampling results to be "questionable" in part due to "unrealistically high concentrations of lead."

Edited by timberdoodle (Fri Mar 16 2012 05:41 PM)

Pleasing everyone is impossible, but ticking off everyone off is simple

#2619141 - Fri Mar 16 2012 06:40 PM Re: EPA/DIMICK RESULTS [Re: buzz]
g17 Offline
On the board

just on WNEP - half of a page of test results:
2-butanol - 10 ug/ml
ethanol - 10 ug/ml
methanol - 10 ug/ml
anionic surfuctants .01 ug/ml
2-butoxylethanol 10 ug/ml
2-methoxyethanol 5 ug/l

Clearly the results should be released as the above compounds have no MCL (maximum contamination level) listed.

#2619162 - Fri Mar 16 2012 06:59 PM Re: EPA/DIMICK RESULTS [Re: g17]
bearhollow Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: centre co pa
Originally Posted By: g17
just on WNEP - half of a page of test results:
2-butanol - 10 ug/ml
ethanol - 10 ug/ml
methanol - 10 ug/ml
anionic surfuctants .01 ug/ml
2-butoxylethanol 10 ug/ml
2-methoxyethanol 5 ug/l

Clearly the results should be released as the above compounds have no MCL (maximum contamination level) listed.

I just drank about 4 beers, did I exceed the mcl for ethanol?

#2619247 - Fri Mar 16 2012 08:16 PM Re: EPA/DIMICK RESULTS [Re: bearhollow]
jimbridger Offline
The man

Loc: kunkle, pa
Quote:
just drank about 4 beers, did I exceed the mcl for ethanol?

Ethanol? I have not seen iron city beer in a long time. Waugh!

#2620435 - Sun Mar 18 2012 08:29 AM Re: EPA/DIMICK RESULTS [Re: buzz]
buzz Offline
Honored

Loc: Bradford County
It is interesting that originaly there were no chenicals in the water, just gas. Now as the homeowners are looking to sue, the chemicals show up. Now DEP 7 EPA have both indicated there are no unsafe levels or elevated levels due to NG Drilling.

So to me, after all that testing , I say heck yea.....release all the results , and lets try to figure out who contanimated that water. If it came from fracking , there water would continue to get worse as the frac water poured into the aquifier.

The water and gas is under several thousand lbs of pressure, the water aquifier has 0 lbs pressure. If frac fluid got in aquifer, it would continue to flowing in there due to pressure .

How ever, if someone were to pour something down there well, it could be concentrated there and slowly flow around through part of the aquifier.

I say yea, lets figure who put what in there ?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  casey, DIYASUB, Flintlock, HuntingPA 
Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
69 registered (Bearclaw, 2-State Archer, bees_obrien, BCozhunter, atr, 10der222, 9 invisible), 314 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
redgtc, HeclaSportsman, Helshollowhunter, 8man, trappin14
33677 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Happy Thanksgiving!
by limbhnger10
7600 in 300 SAV
by Retired_Rusty
The last letter game
by Bearclaw
Remington 141 .35
by winchesterbob
Canoe trip on French Creek Crawford Co.
by hacimsaalk
Shot my first coyote tonight!!!
by Moss
04:22 AM
And on this thanksgiving....
by DIYASUB
04:08 AM
New Topics
Shot my first coyote tonight!!!
by grouse11
03:08 AM
Happy Thanksgiving!
by BCozhunter
02:00 AM
Bill Monroe
by atr
12:49 AM
And on this thanksgiving....
by Danesdad
11:46 PM
today was my turn in our group
by ratherbhuntin
11:40 PM
Worth another re-post, to all, be prepared
by Backwoods Dan
11:14 PM
wifes request
by 19Delta
10:50 PM
Top Posters
great white hunter 35698
RonM 30963
RB-HPA 27995
Bluetick 24025
DennyF 22988
TATERDAVID 22744
SigPro2340 21480
Peppy 20895
DIYASUB 20672
timberdoodle 19432
Forum Stats
33677 Members
97 Forums
113936 Topics
1442077 Posts

Max Online: 1869 @ Mon Nov 03 2014 08:43 PM

Please note: To post or reply to posts you must be a registered member and be logged in.  You can register by clicking on New User on the message board menu.