Trapping Forum

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2612874 - Sat Mar 10 2012 01:50 PM Re: favorite PA land trap [Re: Lugnut]
dietsch Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: north east
Originally Posted By: Lugnut
My preference is probably useless to you but I'm going to throw it out there anyhow.

I've always loved the 1.75 Northhwoods and consider it the best all-around Pa. trap. Like you I like the square jaw. It's a big trap for a 1.75, all but 5 1/4" outside to outside and it is identical in design to the Bridger traps.

Way back they were the premier fox trap around here. When my daughter got me back into trapping 7-8 years ago I still had some and still had a fondness for them.

I kept my old ones and, over the years, bought a bunch more.

I actually found a place with OEM Northwoods parts and put new springs on all my old traps and every used one I buy. I keep the square link chain attachment on the frame (same set up as Bridger) or put it back on if it's missing. I run a swivel at the frame, mid-chain and stake end, I replace the ring with a flat stake swivel.

One last thing I do is put the little shock springs back on. I know they are not very effective and don't do much...but it's a nostalgia thing...

I do run # 2 Bridgers when I'm targeting yotes up north but I've often considered (and still do) selling them off an standardizing with all NW 1.75's.

There ya have it...

i agree with lugnut. here is one i found at my old buyers place. brand new dozen still in a box. i rusted them up a little and boiled and dyed for this year.this is a round jaw northwoods 1.75. caught a 26lb cat with it and several yotes.no need for a bigger trap.works for anything in pennsylvania!

#2612939 - Sat Mar 10 2012 02:56 PM Re: favorite PA land trap [Re: mauser06]
Buckshot1822 Offline
Honored

Loc: Clearfield County (2g)
In my opinion people are getting out of control with all of the mods that they do to traps, and the amount of money that these modified traps cost........I dont think that it is at all necessary........I mean what did trappers do before people started doing all of these mods???

I have caught a few coyotes in Duke 1.5's and have held them no problem.......the only mods that I have done to any of my traps are: I center swivel all of them.......a lot of them I just drill a 1/4" hole right through the X of the trap frame and install a J hook.......some of them do have center locators, and even a few baseplates....but anything more than a hole with the J hook is basically unnecessary as far as I am concerned......the only other thing that I do is bend the jaw tips up, or bubble weld them.......I mostly run Duke 1.5's for my fox sets, and if it is in an area with a high probability of a coyote catch I will go up to a Duke #2

I am sure that those 17 dollar a piece traps are nice, but I can't see spending that when you can get 3 or more traps for the same price.....

Edited by Buckshot1822 (Sat Mar 10 2012 02:56 PM)

#2613173 - Sat Mar 10 2012 07:27 PM Re: favorite PA land trap [Re: mauser06]
skube Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: perry co.
I've used a lot of different traps over the years. I'm in the process of switching to all MB550's. In my opinion there the toughest thing going.

#2613176 - Sat Mar 10 2012 07:36 PM Re: favorite PA land trap [Re: TrapperRon2]
beagler Offline
Stopped counting

Loc: Lackawanna County
I'm new to the game but I've caught coyote, fox, raccoon and fisher in my MB550's this season.

#2613215 - Sat Mar 10 2012 08:12 PM Re: favorite PA land trap [Re: mauser06]
cooncrazy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: venango co,pa
i've run bmi 1 1/2's for years.started to switch over to mb450's this year.great trap.i guess i like the smaller jaw spread traps,i don't care if i ever catch another yote!
member fta
member nta

#2613649 - Sun Mar 11 2012 12:50 PM Re: favorite PA land trap [Re: cooncrazy]
mauser06 Offline
The man

Loc: PA
thanx for the input guys!! all great points ive tossed around a TON...

are those beefed up big traps REALLY needed?

are those expensive traps better than say a Duke??

smaller traps are lighter..can carry more...cheaper..can buy more..can set more..could increase catches...

id say i dont care to ever catch another coyote...but if i dont, i wont be catchin much of nothin! id LOVE to have the "fox problem" out east...all them pretty fox plugging up perfectly good coyote sets! lol easier to skin...easier to put up...typically worth more...not rough on gear...

hope the fox come back soon! might be wishful thinking!

#2613654 - Sun Mar 11 2012 12:57 PM Re: favorite PA land trap [Re: mauser06]
dietsch Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: north east
how many coyotes do you really catch? i think you are fantasizing about all these coyotes you catch. from your own words you have caught a few coyotes a year for what? a year or two.come on. i've been at this game for 30 some years. some years i'll catch a dozen or so others only a few.if you think you need to buy the biggest, baddest trap for a few yotes a year go right ahead.chances are you will still catch only the few you are getting now.with major leg damage to all the "incidental" coons,possum, and fox that find your trap first.

#2613843 - Sun Mar 11 2012 04:10 PM Re: favorite PA land trap [Re: mauser06]
cooncrazy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: venango co,pa
i know i look at the fur population like a pyramid.a few coyote at the top,a larger population of fox on the next tier,a even larger population of coon come next.i like the odds on the bottom,more critters! even with fox lure i get a lot of coon in the dirt hole sets.coyotes are around here, but not a big concentration of them.i've held them with my 1 1/2's,put a good centering pad catch on them and a good anchoring system,you can hold them.but think of all the other critters youmiss looking for a fe coyotes!
member fta
member nta

#2614729 - Mon Mar 12 2012 03:17 PM Re: favorite PA land trap [Re: mauser06]
Denny Emery Offline
old hand

Loc: Jefferson Co, Pa
And coyotes smell smile

#2614933 - Mon Mar 12 2012 06:15 PM Re: favorite PA land trap [Re: Buckshot1822]
hunter4095 Offline
Honored

Loc: 5D 3D
Originally Posted By: Buckshot1822
In my opinion people are getting out of control with all of the mods that they do to traps, and the amount of money that these modified traps cost........I dont think that it is at all necessary........I mean what did trappers do before people started doing all of these mods???

I have caught a few coyotes in Duke 1.5's and have held them no problem.......the only mods that I have done to any of my traps are: I center swivel all of them.......a lot of them I just drill a 1/4" hole right through the X of the trap frame and install a J hook.......some of them do have center locators, and even a few baseplates....but anything more than a hole with the J hook is basically unnecessary as far as I am concerned......the only other thing that I do is bend the jaw tips up, or bubble weld them.......I mostly run Duke 1.5's for my fox sets, and if it is in an area with a high probability of a coyote catch I will go up to a Duke #2

I am sure that those 17 dollar a piece traps are nice, but I can't see spending that when you can get 3 or more traps for the same price.....

i agree 101% every foot hold on our line is a lightly mod'ed #2 duke , 1 extra mid swivel and night latched.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  foxtrapperwoman, Moss, OldMink 
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
41 registered (BUBBABUCK, bhairhoger, 1SHOT1SQUIRREL, basser75, Big Red, Bearklr, 3 invisible), 286 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
16inpotter, ahitz3, Paramedic90, Chesco stuffer, mdawg
33474 Registered Users
Recent Posts
awesome spot gone forever
by firefig18
Opening Night
by Hunterknapp16
Got a nice 9 pt. this morning!
by RidgeHunter88
01:04 AM
Ohio Wayne National Forest Buck
by diesel333
12:44 AM
Where's the Perry Co. guys?
by Pollock21
12:43 AM
Another one from 2B
by diesel333
12:43 AM
Mountainlion trapping
by Backroads
12:13 AM
New Topics
Another one from 2B
by ZJSullivan
11:33 PM
Rinehart Targets
by BillMotlet
10:08 PM
Hunting Alone
by ZachAttack
10:00 PM
Ohio Wayne National Forest Buck
by Pa.Bone
09:57 PM
Did you know Scorpions glow in the dark?
by muskyman62
09:44 PM
Hunting partners
by varmint
08:38 PM
A few to look at...one graphic
by Njoyinlife
07:41 PM
Top Posters
great white hunter 35350
RonM 30327
RB-HPA 27907