Click here HuntingPA.com
Outdoor Community

General Hunting Forum

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2613139 - Sat Mar 10 2012 07:02 PM Re: Pa hunters shooting skills gotten better [Re: pete65]
59Willys Offline
veteran

Loc: ..
Camp Whitetail Acres,Year 2011,Location 2F. Kill 4 8 points 3 does,Another good year.Hunters 8. 2F has always been good for us. YOU HAVE TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND STUDY BEFORE THE BIG TEST. music

#2613355 - Sat Mar 10 2012 11:18 PM Re: Pa hunters shooting skills gotten better [Re: pete65]
gooseguy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: pete65
Originally Posted By: gooseguy
The GC getting ready to reveal the harvest reports for Sdeer and people are estimating they will say appox 330,000. In 2002 the deer kill was 517,000,that's appox 1/3 more deer killed. Remember when you were in the woods in 2002, it sounded like a war zone. This year hardly any shots, at least50-75%less,at least.So what does this mean, either Pa hunters have become alot better shots or the GC deer kill numbers are not close to accurate.

Why don't you wait until the actual harvest estimates come out before you start making assumptions!! Until then, read up on the methods used for estimating the harvest so your opinion will be a semi educated one.
Semi- educated, pretty funny. If the harvest estimates that I claimed are within 20,000 either way it's still apppox 30% less deer harvested than 2002.If the GC # say there was a harvest of anything higher than 350,000, it would seem to make my post accurate"Pa hunter shooting skills gotten better.If the numbers come out that the harvest was 300,000 or less, peoples complaints about no deer on public land would seem to be accurate

You're swinging wildly at the ball and the pitcher isn't even on the mound yet! All I'm saying is wait until the estimates are published. Who gives $.02 about what people on here are guessing, or what you claim they will be! The only estimates that matter aren't published yet! You are beating a dead horse before it's even pulled the cart!

Of course there are less harvested than 10 years ago, that was the idea with the herd reduction program! I hunt public land only, in multiple units, and have no trouble seeing deer! Plenty of deer out there, just have to hunt them!

#2613422 - Sun Mar 11 2012 07:18 AM Re: Pa hunters shooting skills gotten better [Re: pete65]
Uncle Nicky Offline
old hand

Loc: Montgomery County, PA, USA
I agree, I hear less shooting during deer season than in years past. Less gun hunters, less deer in general, more people bow hunt now, more people hunt with scoped rifles these days.

#2613447 - Sun Mar 11 2012 08:30 AM Re: Pa hunters shooting skills gotten better [Re: pete65]
Elk Offline
On the board

Loc: home- north of pgh.camp -2f
TO my suprise this year was the first year of splits season in 2f .Iwas expecting a quiet 1st day although our little area still has deer..Well shooting was pretty regular ALL day,my neice n I saw 11 deer total 5 bucks she was unable to shoot at any... As for other areas in 2f that I know alot of other people who have camps and hunt hard some saw lots of deer and others not many to none....Point is I feel some areas due to whatever circumstance have good deer populations or dont .ITS NOT the same everywhere in the state. and alot of times when someone on here is told to hunt where the deer are or they arent hunting hard enough,many cant or wont cause lots of them are at deer camp sticking to tradition that in LOTS of cases goes back generations.... Its definaly not like the old days ANYWHERE my areas at camp are still good for all of those who things arent so good I hope they improve..

#2613496 - Sun Mar 11 2012 09:46 AM Re: Pa hunters shooting skills gotten better [Re: pete65]
dpms Offline
VIP

Loc: Pittsburgh
Remember when you were in the woods in 2002, it sounded like a war zone. This year hardly any shots,

I remember those days. I hunt the same spots as I did then. Less shots now for many reasons. There are less deer, less rifle hunters, those rifle hunters are hunting less often, less open sighted lever gus, more scoped bolt guns, less driving, more stand hunting, mentored youth hunting requiring more patience and better shot selection etc.....

I could go on but the point is there are many factors involved when discussing the issue of less shooting.

#2613537 - Sun Mar 11 2012 10:38 AM Re: Pa hunters shooting skills gotten better [Re: pete65]
59Willys Offline
veteran

The past is the past i just look towards the future!I agree the numbers of hunters has been going down thru the years BUT last year on opening day of rifle season Davey Hill was like I-80! It was great to see the hunters coming back.Even for one day. music

#2613564 - Sun Mar 11 2012 11:19 AM Re: Pa hunters shooting skills gotten better [Re: 59Willys]
Big Redneck Offline
Honored

Loc: Clarion Co. Pa
My crew had a great year, that being said we saw fewer hunters and heard about the same amount of shots as the last couple years (not many compaired to the 80's, 90's).

My Son and I covered a lot of ground and saw a lot of deer compaired to the past several years.

I started hunting in 58, I have seen the lows then the highs and now the "reductions".

The deer numbers, both deer in the woods and tags reported, are the result of hunters actions or inactions. Do you fill every tag you can get your hands on and honestly report every kill?

If someone complains about the number of deer in the woods but fills every tag they can get their hands on who fault is that? Same goes with complaining about the PGC's numbers, if everyone would report honestly the PGC would have a set of solid numbers to work with to issue tags.

These issues are like weeds, they come up every year and are a pain to deal with.

#2613750 - Sun Mar 11 2012 02:32 PM Re: Pa hunters shooting skills gotten better [Re: pete65]
Pine-Creek Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Pa Mountains, Life Member NRA
Pete,
I kind of doubt that a Grouse hunter of today is the serious gunner of my Grandfathers era, I am very good with my shotgun in the Grouse woods, but to say I have the talent for gunning Grouse, of a man who added to his table
meat every day with his dog and shotgun, along with his rifle and hand gun is foolish. With my Father and Grandfather both trained as military snipers, I doubt seriously my Viet Nam era sniper training, equaled theirs in the 1st and 2nd World Wars. Believe me when I tell you the men of those eras, had a lot more experience shooting weapons, of all different kinds, than us modern men will ever dream of.
Pine Creek/Dave

Edited by Pine-Creek (Sun Mar 11 2012 02:35 PM)

#2613871 - Sun Mar 11 2012 04:49 PM Re: Pa hunters shooting skills gotten better [Re: pete65]
59Willys Offline
veteran

Big Redneck, music

#2613915 - Sun Mar 11 2012 05:45 PM Re: Pa hunters shooting skills gotten better [Re: Pine-Creek]
jimbridger Offline
The man

Loc: kunkle, pa
Quote:
I kind of doubt that a Grouse hunter of today is the serious gunner of my Grandfathers era, I am very good with my shotgun in the Grouse woods, but to say I have the talent for gunning Grouse, of a man who added to his table
meat every day with his dog and shotgun, along with his rifle and hand gun is foolish. With my Father and Grandfather both trained as military snipers, I doubt seriously my Viet Nam era sniper training, equaled theirs in the 1st and 2nd World Wars. Believe me when I tell you the men of those eras, had a lot more experience shooting weapons, of all different kinds, than us modern men will ever dream of. Pine Creek/Dave

Agree. thumbs Waugh!

Edited by jimbridger (Sun Mar 11 2012 05:46 PM)

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
189 registered (19Delta, 2BBuckHunter, 6.5-284BMF, 3D Hunter, 16 invisible), 654 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
Treed, MattyG84, Bobcat68, egs62, Willard
33813 Registered Users
Recent Posts
HELP!!!
by Bluetick
Got my first Red of the season
by npellegrene
Fur shed pics
by npellegrene