Outdoor Community

General Hunting Forum

Page 16 of 24 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23 24 >
Topic Options
#2622291 - Mon Mar 19 2012 08:29 PM Re: Bait with roots [Re: 59Willys]
steelhead125 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Steeler Country 2D/2C
No it's a flood control area. There are times the water gets so high that it's over the tree tops. Mostly happens in the spring if we get alot of rain and a major snow melt. Last season was rough down there. Did alot of wading to get to some of my spots. It holds deer though every year even though there is not much food. I think they do alot of traveling at night and are back down along the river bottoms well before day break.

#2622295 - Mon Mar 19 2012 08:32 PM Re: Bait with roots [Re: Takemrarely]
59Willys Offline
veteran

Loc: ..
WOW, That's tough hunting,My hat is off to you sir. music

#2622296 - Mon Mar 19 2012 08:34 PM Re: Bait with roots [Re: Takemrarely]
59Willys Offline
veteran

what river is it?

#2622298 - Mon Mar 19 2012 08:36 PM Re: Bait with roots [Re: 59Willys]
steelhead125 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hunter-2
WOW, That's tough hunting,My hat is off to you sir. music

It is but it's also alot of fun. I like going into tough places other hunters try to avoid. I usually have to start my walk 2 1/2 hours before daylight to get there in time to set up. Plan on going out next week to get one of my stands ready for the fall. Can't wait ! thumbs

#2622303 - Mon Mar 19 2012 08:37 PM Re: Bait with roots [Re: 59Willys]
steelhead125 Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hunter-2
what river is it?

I will send you a PM.

#2622308 - Mon Mar 19 2012 08:41 PM Re: Bait with roots [Re: Takemrarely]
59Willys Offline
veteran

Sounds good.

#2622379 - Mon Mar 19 2012 09:32 PM Re: Bait with roots [Re: RWBROOKSJR]
hightine Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: 4D - valley of the bad wind
Originally Posted By: RWBROOKSJR
Originally Posted By: hightine
Thx. I see no issue with hunting plots (as some tried so deseparately to paint me).

I do have property in a good deer funnel with over 20 big white oaks in my yard with a steep drainage, a good year round flowing creek. Never counted the oaks down the drainage and up the other side. Probably 20. See deer in my yard often. I could plant something there if it excited me, but it doesn't. Not jealous; just don't care. I have never been a jealous person. I think it's a terrible and infact an unhealthy quality for a person to have. It eats some people up badly and that is sad. I think food plotting is neat and is good for wildlife. I am able to separate plots and the "dump corn" bait sites. Some are not, and that is okay because their opinion matters to them, just as yours does to you. I see the difference, the law does too.

As for your comment after your answer, we'll have to disagree on that. The key to me, is intent. An oak stand: I did not place it there. It's intent is not to deer farm. It's intent is not to hunt over. It's intent is not to alter game movement for the benefit of a hunter. At this point, I am part of the food chain and yes, I am certainly taking advantage of a food source..oaks dropping acorns. However, by hunting an oak stand, I am hunting the deer on their terms. By hunting something artifically placed, I am hunting them on my terms. Explain to me how they are the same ?

RB-Admin - did I mention I set a crossbow hunter up this past year. Took him to a spot he has never been, heck not even the area. I helped him set up a blind. He did not shoot a deer but he did get a turkey with his crossbow. Not that it matters to you, since you've already made your mind up.

You say you own some property, what do you do for wildlife besides keeping their numbers in check. If you have deer coming to your backyard, why don't you plant food for them the year round. Do you buy oaks, other nut bearing trees, fruit trees, cut browse in the winter, put food out during the winter? Anyone owning land should be a conservationist first, a sportman second and harvester next, our goal should be to leave this earth, in a better condition than we found it.

On my property, very little. Any work I do in the yard or around the house, I take the trimming back in the woods for whatever wants them instead of cutting them up for the trash. But the intent of that work is for the house. What I carry back into the woods isn't something I'd consider habitat improvement. I've kicked rabbits out of some of the piles I make. I down anything that is dead to let sunlight in but again, it's not a routine or something I look at as habitat improvement. I've thought more than once putting a plot in at the end of the yard as I know it would bring more wildlife in. I could probably get a crack or two at deer if I spent a few days there with or without a plot as it's a transition/feeding area that's very secure.. There's a whole ridge of white oaks they head to and from most evenings; I just have no interest. I do not buy seeds, nor put out food during winter. The neighbor owns a bunch of area where they bed and allows hunting, but again it doesn't interest me. It would only be conducive to hunt there Saturdays, and during vacation which I'd rather spend else where.

Most habitat work I do is at my father's house. He has a plot, which needs some care and about 20 crabapple trees that need some major trimming. They are quite old and many are in bad shape. The deer trails look like motorcross tracks. It's a great sanctuary with alot of food but make no mistake about it.. we watch the deer all the time but it's there for his hunting. I put a trail cam there with a decoy every year during the rut for pics of ticked off and horny bucks. laugh

#2622481 - Tue Mar 20 2012 01:04 AM Re: Bait with roots [Re: steelhead125]
RWBROOKSJR Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Germansville, PA
NO one should be expected to spend their money, for food plots on open land where it is legal to do, only those they enjoy doing so.

My contribution to public land hunters is not hunting SGL's, which I also contributed to the purchase and upkeep for 58 years now.

Could you explain to me, how I'm supposed to feed and hold deer on my property, with 7 acres of food plots and 5 acres of woods, with the woods being inside my neighbors safey zone? My area is an AG area, how do I tell the deer that my crops are better than the others? My corn fields and soybeans attract the deer after the farmers harvest their crops, is that such a bad thing, to feed the deer, turkey and squirrels over winter?

#2622502 - Tue Mar 20 2012 04:52 AM Re: Bait with roots [Re: Takemrarely]
Takemrarely Offline
old hand

Loc: Central PA
key to me, is intent. An oak stand: I did not place it there. It's intent is not to deer farm. It's intent is not to hunt over. It's intent is not to alter game movement for the benefit of a hunter. At this point, I am part of the food chain and yes, I am certainly taking advantage of a food source..oaks dropping acorns. However, by hunting an oak stand, I am hunting the deer on their terms. By hunting something artifically placed, I am hunting them on my terms.

Could not have said it any better....thanks Hightine.

#2622505 - Tue Mar 20 2012 04:58 AM Re: Bait with roots [Re: Takemrarely]
Takemrarely Offline
old hand

Loc: Central PA
Go ahead and make food plots unlawful, then when herd reduction is required, will that make you happy?

So, without food plots, PA hunters can't kill enough deer to keep up? Not sure I agree with that one....

Page 16 of 24 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23 24 >

Moderator:  Ole' Raspy, Peppy, treestand91 
Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
251 registered (12pointfeva, 06canyon, 284, 25ftup, 1 Happy Hunter, 10der222, 24 invisible), 671 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
ruger721, RecurveNuke, GarXBow, chez, gophergunner
33220 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Joke of the Day 9/2/14
by misfire1
4 minutes 2 seconds ago
I knew the noise was comming
by cbowdeer
4 minutes 7 seconds ago
noise exocet200
by misfire1
5 minutes 1 second ago
Spinoff of Last Letter Game
by dc 21
12 minutes 11 seconds ago
The last letter game
by dc 21
13 minutes 54 seconds ago
Random sentence game
by dc 21
15 minutes 27 seconds ago
Questions on ML rifles for deer hunting
by Jester
16 minutes 20 seconds ago
New Topics
noise exocet200
by 54flint
44 minutes 32 seconds ago
legal calibers
by psweigle
Today at 03:49 PM
I knew the noise was comming
by 54flint
Today at 03:31 PM
Help - looking for Martin bow draw stop
by Jetboater
Today at 03:18 PM
2014-2015 Success Pic Thread
by Adam
Today at 02:34 PM
Barnett Quad 400
by jonah
Today at 02:31 PM
CROW HUNTING
by chez
Today at 02:24 PM
Top Posters
great white hunter 35061
RonM 29205
RB-HPA 27768
Bluetick 23727
DennyF 22853
TATERDAVID 22597
SigPro2340 21448
Peppy 20768
DIYASUB 20289
timberdoodle 18943
Forum Stats
33220 Members
99 Forums
109116 Topics
1378668 Posts

Max Online: 1692 @ Mon Dec 02 2013 08:38 PM

Please note: To post or reply to posts you must be a registered member and be logged in. You can register by clicking on New User on the message board menu.