Click here HuntingPA.com
Outdoor Community

Trout Fishing Forum

Topic Options
#2606942 - Mon Mar 05 2012 12:17 AM michigan
mauser06 Offline
The man

Loc: PA
anyone ever do any trout/salmon/steelhead fishing in michigan?? going to be living up on lake michigan may-sept...wondering if i will get into the salmon and steelheads...figure the trout fishin aughta be good all summer???

plus got the lake, smaller lakes all around etc...id LOVE to catch my first salmon and steelhead...and many more after the firsts! lol

just curious if anyone has ever fished up there or anything and what i can expect..im starting to do my homework and prepare for the adventure of a summer full of fishing...errr i mean..working! ya..thats it..im going up there to work!

#2607187 - Mon Mar 05 2012 10:54 AM Re: michigan [Re: mauser06]
TATERDAVID Offline

HPA SW Rep
Stopped counting

Loc: SAXONBURG PA
Make sure to check out the smaller lakes. They did a lot of stocking years back some are really good fishing. You can find stocking reports. Just remember though a lot of the Muskie stockings were hybrids and they are all pretty much dead. A lot of good northern pike though.

My dad has a cabin in lupton. A lot of nice bass crappie and northern.

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America

#2607216 - Mon Mar 05 2012 11:31 AM Re: michigan [Re: TATERDAVID]
mauser06 Offline
The man

thanx Tater..looking on a map up there and theres just water everywhere...ive never caught a northern or a muskie...so those are on the hit list as well! but been a while since ive chased trout (or fresh water fished at ALL) so it'll be a nice change...though im gunna miss the salt!

#2607219 - Mon Mar 05 2012 11:31 AM Re: michigan [Re: TATERDAVID]
5crows Offline
On the board

Loc: CO, USA
Lake Michigan is big and Michigan's got more lake frontage then any state. You're lucky. Go buy some bigger tackle and another photo album!

Last summer, I sold spinners starting in Wisconsin, over to Escanaba on west side of Lake Michigan, across the UP south side, down over to the bridge and along Lake Michigans east side about 1/2 way down the mitten, before going back across the lower peninsula to Lake Huron side, then back up into UP and doing the south shore of Lake Superior, Copper Harbor, what a trip.

Not sure where you're staying, but I will say that Charter captains I talked to thought the trolling cowbells I was selling weren't big enough, wanted welded swivels. Your lucky, but may need to invest in some heavier tackle, lol.

#2607273 - Mon Mar 05 2012 12:22 PM Re: michigan [Re: 5crows]
TATERDAVID Offline

HPA SW Rep
Stopped counting

Don't over look perch fishing either, that's some good eating, see if there are any head boats around that do perch trips.

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

God Bless America

#2607405 - Mon Mar 05 2012 02:14 PM Re: michigan [Re: TATERDAVID]
mauser06 Offline
The man

5crows, thanx...i will be in the traverse city area....biggest name around it looks like...not sure what part of MI that is considered...

Tater, i thought perch and walleye would likely be around...ive never ate much fresh water fish but after living on shrimp and flounder and spanish for 3 summers i will certainly try some of my catches!

Will be shore bound or wading most the time...though i think my supervisor said i have a kayak for recreation use on lake Michigan...id love a charter..maybe get some guys from work together sometime and take a trip one day for salmon amd lake trout or whatever..

I will probably take my 9ft surf rod and both my bigger reels...think itd work fine for the big fishin...will make do atleast....might look a little out of place but thats ok!

Im pumped...just need to find out when the salmon and steelhead run the creeks...probably may and sept if i will catch the runs at all....

Going to be a great summer...no doubt about it...i will find something to catch! I always do....gunna make my 5th state ive fished in!

#2607464 - Mon Mar 05 2012 03:05 PM Re: michigan [Re: mauser06]
TATERDAVID Offline

HPA SW Rep
Stopped counting

That's a real nice area. You will enjoy it. There is a lot of land up there if you have a four wheeler you might wanna take it.

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

God Bless America

#2607484 - Mon Mar 05 2012 03:16 PM Re: michigan [Re: mauser06]
Buckethead Offline
Stopped counting

Loc: Ima Clarkonian!
Find out which of your co workers has a boat and get to be good buddies with him.

#2607580 - Mon Mar 05 2012 04:11 PM Re: michigan [Re: mauser06]
RIZ Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: butler county, pa
also smallies are very abundent there also. may is awesome for nearshore and river/stream fishing during the spawn. if you have a kayak your good to go for the near shore. also the carp fishing is becoming very popular. for the bass and trout get a medium-light power rod with a fast action. good spinning reel and 6lb line. jigs with soft plastics. drop shot rig, wacky rig, carolinia rig or just an unweighted texas rig will be great.

also walleyes are great to eat, you should be able to catch them too. same rigs same areas just if they show up. as for pike and muskies, you'll need med-heavy to heavy weight rods. 20 - 30 lb test mono or 50 - 80 braid. with a wire leader. big spoons, spinnerbait, buzzbait, big minnow style, and big bucktails will catch these toothy critters.

watch some joe bucher to learn techniques. http://www.fishingwithjoebucher.com/

in-fisherman has many articles and videos for this type fishing also.

good luck and i know you'll have some really good fishing in that part of the country

Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
24 registered (blitzinstripes, BCozhunter, Blueeagle, BUBBABUCK, B Tree, 1SHOT1SQUIRREL, 4 invisible), 283 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
Paramedic90, Chesco stuffer, mdawg, shag, Harley dan
33472 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Screamin' Jay Hawkins
by DIYASUB
Got It Ready!
by BCozhunter
.22 bolt prefer magazine style SE/NE PA
by 1SHOT1SQUIRREL