Outdoor Community

General Hunting Forum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2598775 - Mon Feb 27 2012 10:51 AM A reality check for rural America
shade mt Offline
enthusiast

Loc: pa, juniata county
Yesterday my family all came for a get together for my wifes birthday...after they all left i was sitting alone pondering the day and much of our discussion.

During the day some of the discussion revolved around hunting...my son in law brought a new rifle along to sight in..we discussed how healthy wild game is for you..and we discussed politics..A wood fire crackled all day in the kitchen..We discussed our church services from earlier in the morning..made plans for my one sons upcoming wedding..played with my grandson..it was mentioned that my wife and i have been married 28 years now..and how long its been now since the oldest kids were married..my how time fly's..the bible say's "life is like a vapor" here today gone tomorrow..and indeed its true...you will graduate from high school..and suddenly one morning you will wake up..and you will realize you don't have a lot of years left.
I fear for the upcoming generations...what they might have to endure....of the new mentality's arising in our country ,that will forever do away with our rural way of life.
It concerns me that so many people in our country are promoting .."gun control"....how can they not realize that a firearm could lay in the middle of NY city for hundreds of years and never harm anyone until someone picks it up aims it at another ..and pulls the trigger..how can we be so blind to see that the problem exist not in firearms themselves..but in we as people...how can we not realize that gun control will never cure man of hatred.
How can we not realize what happens when we remove a teaching from our young people that promotes "love thy neighbor as thyself"....and allow a teaching that promotes killing infidels with the sword.

What sense does it make when hunting is thought of as cruel and inhumane...yet its ok to pen domestic animals up to wade in their own manure all their life awaiting slaughter...to package our food with all sorts of preservatives and chemicals..yet to dine on wild game is barbaric.
And even we ourselves as sportsman in our endeavor to make use of the latest and greatest equip....many times in our quick and easy mentality ,lose sight of the blessings of a day afield ..of the beauty in a sunrise..of large tracts of unbroken forest..of the colorful spots on a brook trout..of the joy of taking a youth hunting...to lean back against a log and stare up into a star studded sky ,and listen to the lonesome sound of a hound far down the hollow..or wind in the pines.
To enjoy the company of one another at camp...Hunting...it's about so, so much more than than just killing...it's part of a way of life...And i pray that for generations to come it never changes.

#2598800 - Mon Feb 27 2012 11:16 AM Re: A reality check for rural America [Re: shade mt]
InVenangoNow Offline
Where's Da Beef?
The man

Loc: Not Here
Very well written and true.

#2598808 - Mon Feb 27 2012 11:22 AM Re: A reality check for rural America [Re: InVenangoNow]
pocobowhunter Offline
journeyman

Loc: 3A
Great reminder to enjoy all the "little" things in life that we so easily take forgranted.

#2598849 - Mon Feb 27 2012 12:10 PM Re: A reality check for rural America [Re: shade mt]
mtnboy Offline
veteran

Loc: Monroe Co.
This is one time I'm glad I'm at the end of my life and not the begining. Those of us that view hunting as a lifestyle and not just a pass time are a dieing breed.

Edited by mtnboy (Mon Feb 27 2012 12:11 PM)

#2598860 - Mon Feb 27 2012 12:17 PM Re: A reality check for rural America [Re: shade mt]
Asajoe1 Offline
veteran

Loc: Lycoming county
Amen, great thoughts.

#2598864 - Mon Feb 27 2012 12:19 PM Re: A reality check for rural America [Re: shade mt]
Glenn D Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Centreville, MD camp in 4A
Nicely done. If you are the original author, send it the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia newspapers..

#2598893 - Mon Feb 27 2012 12:36 PM Re: A reality check for rural America [Re: shade mt]
Freytown Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Daleville, Pa, 3D
Another school shooting doesn't help gun ownership.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/27/justice/ohio-school-shooting/?hpt=hp_t1

#2598916 - Mon Feb 27 2012 12:56 PM Re: A reality check for rural America [Re: shade mt]
shade mt Offline
enthusiast

when people and the Gov't realize the need to teach our young people Love... charity...And to "love thy neighbor as thyself"..and the value of life, and they accept and grasp it...a gun would be harmless ...even in a public school

#2598924 - Mon Feb 27 2012 01:02 PM Re: A reality check for rural America [Re: shade mt]
shade mt Offline
enthusiast

how often do you hear of students shooting one another in a private church school?.......and what makes the difference?....and why is it that my children would never, never, never, never! take another human life...think about it..if your honest...you know the answer.

#2598940 - Mon Feb 27 2012 01:13 PM Re: A reality check for rural America [Re: shade mt]
acorn1956 Offline

Loc: Pike County
Here's an intersting article in Mother Earth News about modern day hunting

http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-community/wild-meat-zm0z12fmzalt.aspx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ole' Raspy, Peppy, treestand91 
Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
124 registered (47studebaker, barebonemounts, abowhntr4life, 284, Bagre, 16 invisible), 206 Guests and 82 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
tpr25, DH11, Firelight, Jim Keee, bigturk88
32866 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Hit and Run Deer: SW PA
by Run2Catch
restocking hatchery fish
by harmie
sunday's pa elk shed
by ELKCNTYOUTFITTER
aftermarket choke tubes
by MQ-1
cool snowshoe video
by Musky73
Spinoff of Last Letter Game
by Bearclaw
this may opener stinks
by sq32
New Topics
hare video
by dietsch
Today at 06:16 AM
Joke of the Day 4/20/14
by dc 21
Today at 06:13 AM
aftermarket choke tubes
by ONEiiSHOTiiDROP
Today at 05:50 AM
Eagle Cams and Transparency -
by Bluetick
Today at 01:19 AM
Tough year!
by firefig18
Today at 01:11 AM
Just a few of the dogs at todays CPRC traing day.
by 25-OTT6
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
In case you didn't know.....
by BlkKnt62
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
Top Posters
John S 37943
great white hunter 34432
RB-HPA 27568
RonM 26134
Bluetick 23217
DennyF 22654
TATERDAVID 22394
SigPro2340 21358
Peppy 20516
DIYASUB 19570
Forum Stats
32866 Members
100 Forums
103116 Topics
1311914 Posts

Max Online: 1692 @ Mon Dec 02 2013 08:38 PM

Please note: To post or reply to posts you must be a registered member and be logged in. You can register by clicking on New User on the message board menu.