Click here HuntingPA.com
Outdoor Community

HuntingPA.com Forums

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#2594187 - Thu Feb 23 2012 04:53 PM Re: Building a bow, help appreciated [Re: loridr]
Toxopholite Offline
old hand

Loc: Latrobe Pennsylvania

Edited by Toxopholite (Thu Feb 23 2012 04:57 PM)

#2594466 - Thu Feb 23 2012 08:02 PM Re: Building a bow, help appreciated [Re: Toxopholite]
loridr Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Pa, Dauphin co
Nice rig. Your grid line board servers the same purpose as the pegboard in the one that I recall seeing.

Question: is it ok to momentarily hold the draw on the bow in order to get a good look at the grid to see if the limbs are bending equally? Seems I read something somewhere that you should avoid holding the bow at draw as much as possible.

Spent a little time on the bow this morning before going for a ride (rode down to LAS and ordered some arrows for the Widow). Rounded the edges on the limbs a bit. Glad you said you like flat bellies (on selfbows I mean grin) because that's what I like as well. Is the bow then considered an American Flatbow? Also worked on slimming down the handle a bit.

But the cool thing was fooling around with the scrapers; before trying one I couldn't get my mind around how the thing would work, but man, the touch and feel of using it and the smooth way it scrapes off a shaving is way too cool, I'm hooked.

Next deal is to get my fades a little better (less steep) and trim the limbs to length. Then I'll be ready for some serious tillering.

Lo

#2594666 - Thu Feb 23 2012 09:53 PM Re: Building a bow, help appreciated [Re: loridr]
Toxopholite Offline
old hand

After you work the limbs its should be fine to hold the bow AT THAT DRAW DEPTH for a short period of time. Dont overdraw and hold, it will cause chrysals in the belly.

#2594925 - Fri Feb 24 2012 08:13 AM Re: Building a bow, help appreciated [Re: Toxopholite]
jkhunter Offline
Honored

Loc: Pittsburgh
Yep, that's the one I copied thanks again Toxo thumbs This thread is getting me moving again. Thanks for getting it started loridr.

I have two semi finished bows one is a red oak board bow and the other from a hickory stave. Neither turned out the way I wanted so I never finished them completely. I am going to try a hickory backed ash bow next. I also have an osage stave and another hickory stave I'm saving until I am a little more confident.

Anyone have any pointers or experience with backed board bows I'm all ears.

#2595732 - Fri Feb 24 2012 06:50 PM Re: Building a bow, help appreciated [Re: jkhunter]
loridr Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

It was too wet to work outside most of the day but I did manage to work on the fades, they are much better now. Gonna go on 3 Rivers site in a minute and order a tillering string and some other stuff.

JK, glad to here I got ya movin' again.

#2596313 - Sat Feb 25 2012 10:23 AM Re: Building a bow, help appreciated [Re: Toxopholite]
loridr Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Tox,

Spent a little time this morning working on the bow.

Laid out a new center line on the belly and trued up the limbs for width and taper, they are pretty dead on now. Also trimmed the tips to my target length of 68Ē.

Pics and questions, please comment:

Handle and fades: yesterday worked on the fades to make them a little less steep, how are they looking now?

Potential trouble spots. This one is about 10Ē from tip on one edge of one limb. Not sure how close Iíll get to it as I get close to tiller, current thickness at that spot is 5/8Ē and as you can see its about dead center on the edge. I know itís hard to predict at this point, but do you think Iíll end up down to that point as I shave the limb?

This is the opposite limb. As you can see there is some ďcharacterĒ in this limb causing it to vary in thickness at several spots. While I donít anticipate a problem here, Iím not certain how you handle this while tillering. Do you just ignore it and evenly remove material from the belly, or is it necessary to remove additional material in these spots to get an even thickness in relation to adjacent areas?

Last pic is just a full edge view of the bow as it now sits and shows a good look at the natural deflex. Iím assuming it was a good idea to take advantage of it, correct?

Comments appreciated.

Lo

#2596542 - Sat Feb 25 2012 01:25 PM Re: Building a bow, help appreciated [Re: loridr]
Toxopholite Offline
old hand

That worries me a bit. I would try to leave it a bit flat (thicker) in that area-about 1" or more on each side of that discrepancy, during draw. I'm afraid too much bend there will crack it. However leaving that area a bit stiff or thicker during tillering will keep it together longer. It may disappear during tiller then you can round that area in symmetry to the rest of the limb. Any other pics of that? Is it on both sides?

I like my fades to have a longer taper which give a bit of protection against a hinge. Virtually every hinge I've ever seen on a selfbow attempt has been in the 1/3 of the limb closest to the handle. It's now just a habit of mine. My handles are 4" What is yours on the back?

Edited by Toxopholite (Sat Feb 25 2012 01:51 PM)

#2596942 - Sat Feb 25 2012 06:51 PM Re: Building a bow, help appreciated [Re: loridr]
hawg chaser Offline
enthusiast

Loc: central PA
I would gladly help you with your bow, but I can't explain how I do things. I would show you anything I could if you want. Welcome to the selfbow addiction!

#2597018 - Sat Feb 25 2012 07:43 PM Re: Building a bow, help appreciated [Re: hawg chaser]
loridr Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Where are you located, Hawg?

#2597054 - Sat Feb 25 2012 08:12 PM Re: Building a bow, help appreciated [Re: Toxopholite]
loridr Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Quote:
That worries me a bit. I would try to leave it a bit flat (thicker) in that area-about 1" or more on each side of that discrepancy, during draw. I'm afraid too much bend there will crack it. However leaving that area a bit stiff or thicker during tillering will keep it together longer. It may disappear during tiller then you can round that area in symmetry to the rest of the limb. Any other pics of that? Is it on both sides?

It does not run through the width of the limb (the opposing edge is clear), but it's hard to tell how far into the limb it does run. The bummer is it's exactly dead center in the thickness of the limb. There is about 5/16" clear wood below the defect. I know there's no definitive answer, but how thin do limbs typically tiller down to at the tips? My limbs are 1-1/2" wide at the fades and my tips are currently 7/16" wide. Do you think I'll get down below that defect shooting for a 45# pull?

Quote:
I like my fades to have a longer taper which give a bit of protection against a hinge. Virtually every hinge I've ever seen on a selfbow attempt has been in the 1/3 of the limb closest to the handle. It's now just a habit of mine. My handles are 4" What is yours on the back?

Below is a pic with measurements of the handle and fades, I do still have room to adjust if you think I should. (Note: the fades may appear steeper due to the thickness of the handle, it's currently 1-7/8" thick.)

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  Punkinhead 
Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
333 registered (308 ruger, 20gapnut, 11bdickey, 007hunter, 10der222, 284, 30 invisible), 828 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
hunter32, kt9685, esteadman6, Jrcampbell, etaz
33643 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Items found in deer
by yellodog
9 seconds ago
question
by 410-er
14 seconds ago
25-06 or 270?
by JGR
1 minute 31 seconds ago
Good morning in the field with GSP
by bird_dog_pa
1 minute 45 seconds ago
New hunter here in 5D/5C (intro and questions)
by WestPhillyFam
3 minutes 27 seconds ago
Mathews NO CAM HTR
by Pahack
4 minutes 1 second ago
looking for 20 guage rem barrel
by jec turkeydad
8 minutes 22 seconds ago
New Topics
I guess it's official
by Boatman
knife - Schrade USA 6OT
by T.R.
Items found in deer
by Bowkills
squirrel trouble....
by T.Maurer
05:32 PM
25-06 or 270?
by driftbuster53
05:32 PM
question
by shootkill
05:31 PM
great Winter day, not frigid, and blue skies
by Setter Rescuer
05:29 PM
Top Posters
great white hunter 35667
RonM 30855
RB-HPA 27983
Bluetick 24017
DennyF 22975
TATERDAVID 22737
SigPro2340 21480
Peppy 20895
DIYASUB 20647
timberdoodle 19402
Forum Stats
33643 Members
97 Forums
113583 Topics
1437870 Posts

Max Online: 1869 @ Mon Nov 03 2014 08:43 PM

Please note: To post or reply to posts you must be a registered member and be logged in.  You can register by clicking on New User on the message board menu.