Click here HuntingPA.com
Outdoor Community

Politics Forum

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2585654 - Fri Feb 17 2012 07:31 AM HSUS and Sarah Speed Question!
Antlers n Arrows Offline

Loc: pa
With the runnin for a seat in the house by Sarah Speed, people on this website are concerned about our hunting future. Say the day came, where hunting was outlawed; Would you guys still hunt? Or lay down your guns and bows and follow the law? I for one, will never stop hunting, my fines my be heavy and large, but hunting is in my blood, and always will be!

#2585663 - Fri Feb 17 2012 07:40 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
bigt557 Offline
Honored

Loc: Fayette Co Pa
thumbs

#2585701 - Fri Feb 17 2012 08:41 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
Guest3 Offline
Stopped counting

Loc: 2A, 2B
From what I can tell, HSUS has three candidates that have filed or are filing petitions to run for office. This has been well planned.

#2585750 - Fri Feb 17 2012 09:36 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
Flanuva Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: 5A - Chambersburg
and every single one of them needs to be stopped from taking office.

#2585820 - Fri Feb 17 2012 10:48 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Flanuva]
DennyF Offline
Geezer Emeritus
Stopped counting

Loc: Cumberland County 5A
Only a matter of time before they went this route. All have to realize the amount of money they have to spend, on getting their people into office.

They already have an effective PR machine, which raises millions each year, primarily from unsuspecting dupes who believe they really do spend money on pet shelters, etc and send them donations.

Now they've decided it's time for their "end game": Getting HSUS people into elective office.

#2586068 - Fri Feb 17 2012 03:01 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: DennyF]
dpms Offline
VIP

Loc: Pittsburgh
And many are oblivious to what is occuring or willing to ignore it for shortsighted reasons.

#2586081 - Fri Feb 17 2012 03:14 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: dpms]
angus Offline
veteran

Loc: Adams county
Originally Posted By: dpms
And many are oblivious to what is occuring or willing to ignore it for shortsighted reasons.

The timing of this is impeccable isn't it?

#2586111 - Fri Feb 17 2012 03:40 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: angus]
Guest Offline
Stopped counting

Loc: Lancaster County
How so?

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.

#2586114 - Fri Feb 17 2012 03:42 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: DennyF]
Fleroo Online   content
The man

Loc: 2A-Wash. Co.
Quote:
They already have an effective PR machine, which raises millions each year, primarily from unsuspecting dupes who believe they really do spend money on pet shelters, etc and send them donations.

Up until last year or so, I honestly thought the HSUS was the Parent if you will, national organization, to all of the local humane shelters. A thread on here told me otherwise. I STILL don't know how they can take a naming convention, so closeley related, and use it. I know WHY they do it, I just don't know how it's allowed when incorporating. It's meant to dupe, and it does. I mean doesn't it stand to reason that the Humane Society of the United States, and local county Humane Society SHELTERS would be related in some way ? crazy

#2586115 - Fri Feb 17 2012 03:43 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Fleroo]
Guest Offline
Stopped counting

Are they called Humane Society Shelters?

The one we have here is called the "Humane League".

#2586137 - Fri Feb 17 2012 04:18 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
muttleysback Offline
The man

Loc: The village of Saint Thomas, F...
The one in Harrisburg is The Humane Society of Harrisburg Area, Inc. The one in Lebanon is Humane Society of Lebanon County.
Just for kicks, our local shelter in Chambersburg, which is in the midst of a building program, sent HSUS a letter last year asking for their support. No response has yet been received. We are NOT holding our breath.

#2586153 - Fri Feb 17 2012 04:37 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: dpms]
SigPro2340 Offline
Stopped counting

Loc: Pa
Originally Posted By: dpms

I kind of remember some guy in a tin foil hat talking about the evils of HSUS for years. crazy

#2587908 - Sun Feb 19 2012 11:51 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
cbaker47 Offline

Loc: PA
Her opponent in the primary is an avid hunter as well. Shane Richardson has been hunting all his life and belongs to many hunting clubs and fish & game associations.

#2587923 - Sun Feb 19 2012 12:08 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
Guest3 Offline
Stopped counting

thanks cbaker. Hunters in your area need to know to vote in favor of him in the primary and then to pick between hunters in the final vote.

Here are a list of the candidates.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/http;//www.portal.state.pa.us;80/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_160329_1216969_0_0_18/CandidateList.pdf

Mark Purcell is a regular contributor to the Humane USA PA PAC facebook page. He is a candidate in the 20th district in Pittsburgh. Hunters should pay close attention there too and IMO vote against him.

#2587928 - Sun Feb 19 2012 12:14 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
Guest3 Offline
Stopped counting

With 228 elections this year, who knows what about what candidate that has opposition? Not much we can do about those unopposed- but we can try to get hunters elected whenever possible.

#2587932 - Sun Feb 19 2012 12:19 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Guest3]
kent07 Offline
old hand

Loc: ne pa
Gal is there anywhere a person can go to find out what there views/stances are on our issues, are they hunters or not etc?

#2587949 - Sun Feb 19 2012 12:36 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
Guest3 Offline
Stopped counting

Other than their personal campaign pages, or people like me who keep a daily eye on the HSUS facebook page; or people with direct personal knowledge; no.

HSUS's goal right now is to mainstream their supporters as candidates into public office where they will work against hunting. Its something we need to be diligent about.

Personal conversations with candidates in our individual districts is becoming increasingly critical.

Jesse White is a rep from the Cecil area who posts on the HSUS page. He has an Abigail and Delano page on facebook- showing he supports some animal rights activity.

He's running unopposed.

We need to seriously consider finding a good candidate in our own districts to challenge these folks. They are out to win, and since they can't beat us as they are now, they are seeking office to beat us there.

#2588647 - Sun Feb 19 2012 08:21 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Guest3]
Lifes2Fun Offline
The man

Loc: York, and Tioga
What party is she running under?

Is Keith Gillespie running as well?
He is the 47th District Rep. right now

#2588731 - Sun Feb 19 2012 09:01 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
Guest3 Offline
Stopped counting

She;s running as a Dem in the primary and her opposition is a hunter. Yes, Gillespie is running, as an R. Two tickets.

#2588891 - Sun Feb 19 2012 11:17 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
cbaker47 Offline

Sarah is definitely running as a Democrat against Shane Richardson in the primary. Shane has been hunting and fishing all his life and is a major supporter of hunters, their issues and would be a primary advocate in Harrisburg. Shane's website is www.richardsonforstatehouse.com. He will be posting a statement about his position on hunting and fishing within this week. Please feel free to contact him and ask any questions you may have.

As hunters, it is vital he is elected in April.

#2588908 - Mon Feb 20 2012 12:12 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: cbaker47]
buckhunter Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: grove city
Thanks for the heads up guys, one thing we can all agree on is we don't need HSUS members becoming elected officials. thumbs

#2590492 - Tue Feb 21 2012 12:20 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
cbaker47 Offline

Shane Richardson, the other Deomcrat running in the primary, posted the following on his website today:

Quote:
As someone who has spent many hours perched in a tree-stand overlooking a patch of white oaks and someone who has lost many hooks and split-shot pursuing brown trout in the Yellow Breeches, I understand and share the importance and values of the hunting and fishing community. I have been an avid outdoorsman for 16 years and have spent countless hours pursuing wild game as well as sharing camaraderie with friends and family around the woodstove at camp or on a fishing boat.

Nothing compares to watching the sunrise over a fog-filled valley from your favorite hunting spot. While waiting for a whitetail, black bear, elk or spring gobbler you get the opportunity to reflect on past adventures with friends and family, as well as members of camp that have passed on. This is what hunting and fishing mean to me. Harvesting an animal or catching a fish are all part of the experience, but it is the time spent with your outdoor companions that cannot be matched.

For these reasons, I will be a strong advocate for hunters and fisherman alike. I am a hunter, a fisherman, an NRA member, a concealed-carry permit holder, a member of the Yellow Breeches Anglers and Conservation Association, and an avid reader of Pennsylvania Game and Fish, Pennsylvania Game News and Pennsylvania Outdoor News. All of those avenues allow me to stay up to date with current issues facing our sporting community. I urge you to elect a fellow sportsman to help make sure the next generation has the opportunity to chase wild game on a State Game Lands or wet a line in our many streams, lakes, rivers and ponds. Please remember to introduce someone new to hunting and fishing so that we may increase the members of our sporting community!

#2590513 - Tue Feb 21 2012 02:06 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
Flanuva Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Shane sounded good up until he mentioned he read the PA Outdoor News eek

smile

#2590542 - Tue Feb 21 2012 05:31 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Flanuva]
Guest Offline
Stopped counting

Originally Posted By: Flanuva

smile

If Shane really wants to keep up with hunters, he needs to be HERE! LOL

Actually, that promo piece sounds a little to "smoothe" to me. smile

#2590569 - Tue Feb 21 2012 06:53 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
Guest3 Offline
Stopped counting

Well, he's the other Dem in the primary, so he gets the vote in spite of his views.

Still, before the general election we need to ask what values he places on our hunting community. We need to ask that of all of them.

I think I may use Survey Monkey for that and we can post their results on the board for all hunters to see.

#2590621 - Tue Feb 21 2012 07:52 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Guest]
octagon Offline
The man

Loc: Pittsburgh,PA.
Originally Posted By: Dutch
Originally Posted By: Flanuva

smile

If Shane really wants to keep up with hunters, he needs to be HERE! LOL

Actually, that promo piece sounds a little to "smoothe" to me. smile

I agree Dutch, way too smooth. That was a political statement written by a staff member. It is sad these people can`t write their own stuff and from the heart.

#2590653 - Tue Feb 21 2012 08:21 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
Flanuva Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Way too smooth, seeing how every post cnaker47 has is pushing Richardson.

If he really likes him that much to come on here and push him..great...if that isnt the only reason he joined HPA.

It would impress me if the candidates would come on here and talk to the masses.

#2590692 - Tue Feb 21 2012 08:48 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Flanuva]
DennyF Offline
Geezer Emeritus
Stopped counting

Loc: Cumberland County 5A
Probably time to send this'un off to the Politics forum.

#2590707 - Tue Feb 21 2012 08:59 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: octagon]
Fleroo Online   content
The man

Quote:
I agree Dutch, way too smooth. That was a political statement written by a staff member. It is sad these people can`t write their own stuff and from the heart.

Really ? I don't see the "smooth" part in any of it. Nothing Rhodes Scholarly that caught my eye. I reckon those 3 paragraphs could have been written by any outdoorsman that has even a mild command of the English language. deal

#2590711 - Tue Feb 21 2012 09:04 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
bawanajim Offline
veteran

Loc: State of Euphoria
Shes kinda hot, any one got better pics? kiss

#2590771 - Tue Feb 21 2012 10:06 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: bawanajim]
Fleroo Online   content
The man

Search her name on Google, then click on Images. Not ALL of the images are the Speed you want though.

Funny, I googled GalThatFishes, and the image brought up a "retiree looking" gal sitting on a cooler of Beer, watching a pole on some riverbank. eek

#2597515 - Sun Feb 26 2012 11:02 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
Shane Richardson Offline

Loc: York
Hello everyone,

I am Shane Richardson, the Democrat who is facing Sarah Speed in the primary in York County. I wanted to clear a few things up. 1: I am a hunter and fisherman 100%. 2: I absolutely wrote my release on hunting and fishing by myself. 3: I do not have one single paid staffer working for me, I cannot afford any.

I fish for bass and walleye on the lower Susquehanna River near Wrightsville during the spring and summer. I fish the warm waters near Saginaw in the winter for walleye. I do most of my trout fishing in the Yellow Breeches and Muddy Creek.

As for hunting: I archery, rifle and small game hunt on public lands, as I do not have any private land access. I black bear hunt out of a friends cabin in Hillsboro West Virginia. I have also traveled to New Brunswick to hunt spring black bear.

I am a frequent camper at Pine Grove State Park in the summer.

All of the above are fact. Another fact is that I will be a strong advocate and voice for the hunting and fishing community.

Thank you,

Shane Richardson
Democrat
Candidate for State House, 47th District

#2597793 - Sun Feb 26 2012 03:28 PM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
mountainhippie Online   happy
The man

Loc: Newark, DE
Good luck Shane, if I lived there I'd vote for you.

#2598635 - Mon Feb 27 2012 08:20 AM Re: HSUS and Sarah Speed Question! [Re: Antlers n Arrows]
John Henry Offline
Stopped counting

Loc: Hanover, PA
Is the actual solicitation of votes in accordance with board guidelines?

POTTER COUNTY, GOD's COUNTRY

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  CRENoutdoors, DIYASUB, Ole' Raspy, Peppy 
Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
335 registered (2ballcane, 2Bornot2B, 1shot2kills, 17 furball, 007Mike, 222Shooter, 28 invisible), 742 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
Dan W York, roughneck065, Tompovo, Bogey, JessJ
33504 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Hill camp gets another...
by fallair
0 seconds ago
Eric Frein Captured?
by SEHunter
1 minute 9 seconds ago
Sniper on the loose in NEPA
by steelerfan58
1 minute 22 seconds ago
Shot deer back tracking. What are the signs?
by Deer archer
2 minutes 20 seconds ago
Sad day for this guy.
by 5chunter
2 minutes 55 seconds ago
?Halloween Skunk?
by redneck08
6 minutes 29 seconds ago
Day 24, October 31st - Halloween!
by treed74
7 minutes 17 seconds ago
New Topics
A shot deer "back tracking". What are the signs?
by Deer archer
Hang On Treestand
by Backwoods
Joke of the Day 10/31/14
by dc 21
Should Yotes?
by Clearfield12
BBD 10-30-14!!!!!
by JasonN
Past Poll results 2011-2013
by TAMU
08:01 AM