Click here HuntingPA.com
Outdoor Community

Trout Fishing Forum

Topic Options
#2563784 - Wed Feb 01 2012 09:16 AM 5 Mile High Org. .......Stocking
klotzy9 Offline
On the board

Loc: JT, PA
Hey guys, just wanted 2 get a heads-up out there about the 5 mile high Org. We are accepting new members/donations. The donations will be used to stock trout in the Lehigh River from the 903 bridge in Jim thorpe upstream 5 miles above Glen Onoko towards White Haven. If you are interest, please contact me and I will get you more information. Meetings are held @ the Mauch Chunk Rod and Gun club the last Tuesday of every month.

Here is the actual news letter.

Press Release

A new organization supporting trout fishing in the Lehigh River is taking shape in the Jim Thorpe area. The purpose of the group is to raise money to stock trout in the Lehigh River from the Route 903 bridge in Jim Thorpe to the confluence of Bear Creek, some 5 miles upstream. Thus, the name of the organization, “Five Mile High”. This 5-mile stretch of water has some of the most beautiful fishing waters, scenic views, and wild terroritory the Lehigh Gorge State Park has to offer.

The organizers are meeting at the “Mauch Chunk Rod & Gun Club” the last Tuesday of every month. The public is welcome to attend. At present, the efforts will not include any fundraisers. All monies raised will be through individual contributions. Also, there will be no membership cards, buttons, websites, or newsletters. This could change in the future, but for now this streamlined approach will help support their goal of putting every dollar contributed into purchasing fish. They are trying to cover any expenses incurred by individual’s donations. The membership list, financials, minutes, and other information are available at every meeting.

Five trustees have been appointed to oversee the efforts. They are: Pete Bott, Davey Gasker, Andy Hoherchak, Keith Ramsay, and Dave Thomas. They are asking interested individuals to donate $20 to the efforts. In doing so, the contributors get the satisfaction of knowing they are helping revitalize the mighty Lehigh River with trout for all to enjoy. They also ask those that fish the Lehigh River to continue to support other organizations that support trout stockings and environmental issues supporting clean and cold water for the Lehigh River and it’s tributaries.

Five Mile High
P.O. Box 4000
Jim Thorpe, PA 18229

Thanks.

Edited by klotzy9 (Wed Feb 01 2012 01:34 PM)

#2564105 - Wed Feb 01 2012 01:19 PM Re: 5 Mile High Org. .......Stocking [Re: klotzy9]
Fleroo Online   content
VIP

Loc: 2A-Wash. Co.

Quote:
Meetings are held @ the Jim Thorpe Rod and Gun club the last Tuesday of every month.

Quote:
meeting at the “Mauch Chunk Rod & Gun Club” the last Tuesday of every month.

Might want to clarify that, or one gun club might get a surprise boost of patrons the last Tues. of the month. lol

#2564118 - Wed Feb 01 2012 01:33 PM Re: 5 Mile High Org. .......Stocking [Re: klotzy9]
klotzy9 Offline
On the board

Thank you and good catch. it is the "Mauch Chunk Rod & Gun Club"

#2564238 - Wed Feb 01 2012 03:25 PM Re: 5 Mile High Org. .......Stocking [Re: klotzy9]
Trout 2003 Offline
Waterfowl and Fishing Forum Mod
Stopped counting

Loc: SE PA
Cool, it's about time that someone pays more attention to that section. That's my favorite water but why are they stopping at Bear Creek??? Any rationale behind that other then not biting off more then they can chew?

#2564305 - Wed Feb 01 2012 04:09 PM Re: 5 Mile High Org. .......Stocking [Re: klotzy9]
klotzy9 Offline
On the board

Trout, the org. is in its 3rd year. We have done great things so far with the monies raised, but are not big enough to stock a bigger stretch. Anything is open to conversation, but I believe @ the moment its "not biting off more than they can chew". Some of the holes up that way are beautiful! Hope 2 see ya out there!

#2565911 - Thu Feb 02 2012 04:04 PM Re: 5 Mile High Org. .......Stocking [Re: klotzy9]
Trout 2003 Offline
Waterfowl and Fishing Forum Mod
Stopped counting

Loc: SE PA
I can respect that stance for the club. I just like how you aint getting to any of those places easy up above the Glen. You're walking or biking in and that is that. The experience in the gorge is second to none as far as trout fishing goes....at least from a visual standpoint. Dont catch a ton but it's breathtaking veiws around every corner and enough fish to keep ya busy. Now if only FEW would give us fisherman a real shot at fishing on the weekends more people would know about it. I stopped fishing there cause every Saturday I'd role up and see water twice the volume for the rafters.

#2566185 - Thu Feb 02 2012 07:27 PM Re: 5 Mile High Org. .......Stocking [Re: klotzy9]
klotzy9 Offline
On the board

Trout,
You nailed that one, We all wish the FEW would stop with the nonsense. Its ridiclous how much of a difference a flow can be from one day to the next. However, I have learned from experience that you can time it correctly. ex) If the release Saturday AM and you start above the glen, say Bear creek and fish downstream, you have till noonish b4 the water reaches you @ the glen. Also, there are weekends that they dont release any water.. you can find that info out online.

Dont get me wrong, it is total BS... But with the fish we have been stocking it is well worth a bike ride or two. You shouls check it out. I believe we are stocking the Sunday after the spring gobbler opener.

Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
318 registered (143 Coyote ln, 25-OTT6, 3Dcabindweller, 1shot2kills, 17 furball, 2BBuckHunter, 29 invisible), 773 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
backwoods z, Jwright, mike33554, paraguy, Tiadauton
33791 Registered Users
Recent Posts
PGC SEEDLINGS?
by TurkeyMike
0 seconds ago
Firearm shot placement on deer
by TurkeyMike
45 seconds ago