Outdoor Community

HuntingPA.com Forums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2485143 - Sun Dec 11 2011 07:31 PM Recurve questions
buckspa Offline
old hand

Loc: PA
Hello...I am just getting into traditional archery after 20 years of using a compound. Thanks to Richbat, I picked up a recurve and some helpful advice, but I have a few questions.

I was also able to pick up a Bear Grizzly from my dad's basemement, but after many years of standing on its end, it is slightly warped on the one limb. I got it set up today with a new string. The bow is labeled 58 inch, but the 58 inch string was too short, but the 60 is a little too long. Therefore, the brace height on teh Bear is only at 6 inches. That brings me to my questions.

1-Should I shoot the Bear with the slight warp in the limb?
2-Can I pick up 2 inches of brace height on the Bear by twisting the string (Flemish twist), or is it possible to twist them too much?
3-I tried shooting with fingers split around the nock as well as three under-three under seemed to result in better flight. Is this typical?

Thanks for your advice. I'll tell you, I am really excited about getting into traditional archery more. It was so cool to go out and shoot 20 or 30 arrows and still feel like I could have shot more.

Last, if there is anyone around Quakertown who would like to meet and shoot a bit to give me some tips, I would appreciate it.

#2485750 - Mon Dec 12 2011 07:37 AM Re: Recurve questions [Re: buckspa]
HighCountry66 Online   content
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Mount Jackson, PA
1. You should straighten the limb. There is lots of info on tradgang and stickbow on how to do this. Usually you can fix them after running hot tap water and twisting the opposite way to bring it back to center. You may have to repeat. Hold it till it cools. You can shoot it with a very slight twist, as long as the string stays on.

2. The Grizzly should be 58" AMO and take a 58" AMO string which is actually 54" inches long. Research those sites I mentioned and it will give you a ball park on the brace height. They don't all perform their best at the same brace height, so you will have to tweak it some.

3. I shoot 3 under. I like that it puts the arrow closer to my eye. It requires your knock to be higher and sometimes causes a bow to be louder. If thats how you want to shoot, then do it. You can quiet the bow by wrapping the loops with yarn down the string to where the string contacts the limb and also put some cat whiskers on the string. When you get it tuned with the proper brace height, it shouldn't be too loud.

#2485761 - Mon Dec 12 2011 07:53 AM Re: Recurve questions [Re: buckspa]
jimsdad Offline
Honored

Loc: Chester County, PA
I am not an expert but here goes. First, you should log onto this site and get some first class advise from these folks: https://www.tradbow.com/members/login.; second I too tried the split finger shooting method and switched to 3 under because it works better for me. Third take a look at the 3 Rivers Archery site and order Masters of the Bareebow CD's Fourth go ahead and twist that string until you have about a 7.5 inch brace height (lower brace height will give you more power but it has a propensity to cause string slap and is less forgiving relative to accuracy). Question for you, what type of glove / stalls are you shooting with? Lat thing: read some books: Brian Sorrels, Byron Ferguson: Become the Arrow; Brian Sorrels:Beginners Guide to Traditional Archery; Sam Fadala: Traditional Archery. Peersonally, I would stay away from G Fred Asbel. He is clearly an expert and widely known as such. However, for a beginning archer his methods are crammed full of style and technique that, to me anyhow, are a lot of show-boat grandstanding that can frustrate a new barebow shooter.

#2485917 - Mon Dec 12 2011 09:37 AM Re: Recurve questions [Re: jimsdad]
richbat Offline
old hand

Loc: Pa.
Once you get the correct string for the grizzly string the bow up,look and see where the string is laying near the string grooves and give the limb a twist in the opposite direction,you want that string to lay in the string groove.Be careful when stringing it up the first time because if the limb is twisted badly the string may want to slide right down the limb.I have used the warm water method before with great results,it may take a few times to get the limb settled in but it does work,most of the time though you can just bump them right back in place while the bow is strung.Make sure you check the bow over real good for any delams of the limbs.

Edited by richbat (Mon Dec 12 2011 09:38 AM)

#2485920 - Mon Dec 12 2011 09:39 AM Re: Recurve questions [Re: jimsdad]
buckspa Offline
old hand

Thanks alot...I will check out some of those books. I am shooting what seems to be a plain, leather three-finger glove...don't know brand. Doe sit matter? Recommendations?

Will some arrows fly better out of a recurve than others?

#2485928 - Mon Dec 12 2011 09:42 AM Re: Recurve questions [Re: richbat]
buckspa Offline
old hand

I'll try the warm water...it is not delaminated or cracked in any way.

So, 2- 3 inches is not too much to pick up, if necessary, by twisting the string? As it is now, the feathers lay in the shelf and the string slaps my wrist-it needs to be increased.

#2485933 - Mon Dec 12 2011 09:45 AM Re: Recurve questions [Re: buckspa]
buckspa Offline
old hand

By the way Richbat...love the Samick...must have shot 40 arrows yesterday.

#2485986 - Mon Dec 12 2011 10:11 AM Re: Recurve questions [Re: buckspa]
richbat Offline
old hand

Pretty sure that glove is from Kustom King Archery.Now as far as string slap 2 things can be happening.1 increase your brace height. 2 loosen up your grip abit,don't use to much heel of your hand,the grip should just be right in the web of your hand with little pressure on it.

#2486072 - Mon Dec 12 2011 11:01 AM Re: Recurve questions [Re: buckspa]
jimsdad Offline
Honored

Loc: Chester County, PA
I tried a glove and a tab and then eventually slipped a set of "Soft-Fingers" on my string and now I don't use a glove or tab at all. I have to use 3 fingers under to get the knocking point as close to the bottom of my eye as I can. It causes a shortened draw but since I wear glasses I can not bring the string back beyond the edge of the frame of the glasses. Has a tendancy to rip them right off my face!!

#2486093 - Mon Dec 12 2011 11:15 AM Re: Recurve questions [Re: jimsdad]
richbat Offline
old hand

Yeah glasse can be a nusiance[sp] I get into the habit of taking them off while shooting but have tried shooting with them on and seem to do pretty good that way also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Punkinhead 
Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
360 registered (25-OTT6, 284, 007hunter, 06canyon, 171farm, 1 Happy Hunter, 26 invisible), 849 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
GarXBow, chez, gophergunner, ruger257rob, Doug Bowser
33218 Registered Users
Recent Posts
SGL210 Dauphin County for Bear Hunting
by sparkchaser
0 seconds ago
Pop-Up Blinds
by DCabets28
8 minutes 33 seconds ago
Coyote hunting
by Hunterknapp16
11 minutes 44 seconds ago
Maine Flintlock Bear Harvest!!
by DCabets28
16 minutes 7 seconds ago
So...there is this bear...
by theaceman
16 minutes 9 seconds ago
How to Prune Fruit Trees
by basdjs
16 minutes 40 seconds ago
Starting to get pretty jacked for the opener!!
by Pa.Bone
18 minutes 42 seconds ago
New Topics
SGL210 Dauphin County for Bear Hunting
by AlFIL
13 minutes 59 seconds ago
SGL 170 PDF map?
by Whiskey
Today at 08:16 PM
Help me out
by Backwoods Boy
Today at 07:55 PM
Coyote hunting
by Buck72
Today at 07:40 PM
2 Goose Chair blinds and Insulated Kennel Jacket
by mikethehelopilot
Today at 07:11 PM
Hang-On Hanging Help
by tippofthehat
Today at 06:50 PM
22 mag ammo posted in the classified forum
by john1951
Today at 05:40 PM
Top Posters
great white hunter 35059
RonM 29187
RB-HPA 27767
Bluetick 23727
DennyF 22853
TATERDAVID 22595
SigPro2340 21448
Peppy 20767
DIYASUB 20288
timberdoodle 18937
Forum Stats
33218 Members
99 Forums
109079 Topics
1378294 Posts

Max Online: 1692 @ Mon Dec 02 2013 08:38 PM

Please note: To post or reply to posts you must be a registered member and be logged in.  You can register by clicking on New User on the message board menu.