Click here HuntingPA.com
Outdoor Community

Archery Hunting Forum

Topic Options
#2390094 - Mon Oct 10 2011 08:12 AM Full moon and new moon deer movement
Strick21 Offline
apprentice

Loc: Windber, PA
I know some people have alot of information on this but would like to know what the people from PA think. Is there more deer activity on a full moon or new moon. I know that these phases do you have a lot to do with deer movement but which phase is your most favorite to hunt. I have heard from alot of people that the new moon actually gets the pre rut started. Please let me know everyone's feelings and comments on this.

#2390104 - Mon Oct 10 2011 08:24 AM Re: Full moon and new moon deer movement [Re: Strick21]
Padeerhunter71 Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: 2C,2D,2A
I am thinking tomorrow will be good in the evening due to the full moon being tomorrow! Wednsday morning should be good! Killed my buck last yr the morning after a full moon! Have killed several buck in the past the morning after one actually!

#2390141 - Mon Oct 10 2011 08:58 AM Re: Full moon and new moon deer movement [Re: Padeerhunter71]
hightine Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: 4D - valley of the bad wind
For the rut, I don't pay attention to the moon. The doe controls the rut... nothing else.

I'm not sure I have a favorite moon to hunt. There are alot of other variables involved. However, without question in my experience, a bright moon at night slows twilight movement of mature deer.

#2390149 - Mon Oct 10 2011 09:03 AM Re: Full moon and new moon deer movement [Re: hightine]
shootbowtech Offline
HPA Commercial Advertiser
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Washington County
I prefer to hunt several days after a full moon. I know for a fact right now that this bright moon and clear skies at night is definitely affecting morning deer movement. Went from seeing tons of deer the first 3 days of the season to next to nothing now. The end of this week should be great. Weather front moving in, temps dropping, and a waning moon. Deer activity should be high.

#2390329 - Mon Oct 10 2011 11:16 AM Re: Full moon and new moon deer movement [Re: shootbowtech]
rmh181 Offline
veteran

Loc: State College, PA
I really don't like hunting full moons unless I'm out West glassing for bulls/muledeer in the meadows before daylight or in the evening 'cuz then I can use the moon to see them w/ my Swarovsky's. Here in PA, the full moon always seems to have the deer moving earlier to bed in the am, and later from bed to feed. Making it nearly impossible for me to catch them during the transition due to legal shooting hrs and the public ground I have to hunt. For me, I like to hunt most when the sky is the darkest...seems the deer move significantly later in the am on way to bed, and ealier from bed to feed in the evening.

Now, when the moon is up while the sun is out, it seems the animals love to hit the field food locations well before dark. If you have access to them, which I really don't, it's a great time to hunt a field source.

#2390342 - Mon Oct 10 2011 11:23 AM Re: Full moon and new moon deer movement [Re: rmh181]
Roscoe62 Offline
old hand

Loc: Jefferson County
I know lots of guys like to hunt the full moon.. don't need a spotlight. Seriously, the full moon generally seems to make the deer more active at night and the late morning and early evening seem to be a lot less active.

#2390353 - Mon Oct 10 2011 11:38 AM Re: Full moon and new moon deer movement [Re: hightine]
Paul C Offline
old hand

Loc: Erie, PA
 Originally Posted By: hightine
For the rut, I don't pay attention to the moon. The doe controls the rut... nothing else.

I'm not sure I have a favorite moon to hunt. There are alot of other variables involved. However, without question in my experience, a bright moon at night slows twilight movement of mature deer.

WHAT?!?! The Lunar cycle controls the estrous cycle of just about every female mammal on the planet including humans and deer. The "doe may control the rut" but its the MOON that controls the doe.

#2391104 - Mon Oct 10 2011 08:20 PM Re: Full moon and new moon deer movement [Re: Roscoe62]
hunterpa64 Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: 2D
 Originally Posted By: Roscoe62
I know lots of guys like to hunt the full moon.. don't need a spotlight. Seriously, the full moon generally seems to make the deer more active at night and the late morning and early evening seem to be a lot less active.

+1

Moderator:  Adam, KenBuck, Peppy, Realtrehntr, TurkeyMike 
Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
163 registered (6-DASHER, 47studebaker, 5chunter, 284, 250dieselgun, 9 invisible), 474 Guests and 110 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
vern faulkver, Spencer12345, Kennasdad, Mossback_klapp, justepete
33086 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Spinoff of Last Letter Game
by dc 21
The last letter game
by dc 21
Joke of the Day 7/24/14
by dc 21