Click here HuntingPA.com
Outdoor Community

Firearm Forum

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2054125 - Fri Dec 31 2010 09:07 AM Re: Nikon buckmaster vs Leupold vx1 [Re: patonyk]
308Havoc Offline
veteran

Loc: Fayette PA / Wash. D.C.
i have both scopes, the Nikon buckmaster and the leupold vx-1. i am a huge leupold fan. both are great scopes but the BM has a slight edge in my opinion in clearity. when it comes down to it, its gonna be all preference, because the clearity difference is too minimal to choose one over the other. my BM is mounted on a 338win mag and the vx-1 is on a 7mag. both keep and hold zero and i have not had a problem with either in any conditions.
Limb driver
Easton flatlines

#2054150 - Fri Dec 31 2010 09:32 AM Re: Nikon buckmaster vs Leupold vx1 [Re: 308Havoc]
Tony300wby Offline
old hand

Loc: Pa. Lehigh
"when it comes down to it, its gonna be all preference,"
I agree with 308Havoc.

I have only owned one Nikon scope and it was nice. I have many Leupold scopes, low end to top end. I honestly have a hard time seeing any difference in clearity. If I was you I would go to a store that sold the models that you are looking for and compare them side by side. I would do this in the evening or on a overcast day, most all scopes look good on bright sunny days.

Good luck, Tony

#2054174 - Fri Dec 31 2010 09:44 AM Re: Nikon buckmaster vs Leupold vx1 [Re: Tony300wby]
patonyk Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Rome, pa
Tony I have Both are clear and both will do the job that I am looking for. I was kind of looking for the problems that anyone has had. I have found some reviews from BOTH that some people had problems. Here on this board some good info can be shared. I wasn't looking for arguments or mine is better than yours type of thread. which I read all the time. Winchesterbob will never own a nikon....well why? What happened that he isnt happy. I own about 30 or so rifles and each has a different scope from low end tasco, weavers redfields and so on. I feel ......say problems with the vx1(not that there will be) I would like to here experiences of fogging or I shot my 243 and a glass cracked....anything. I'm building 2 Identicle guns to go on a hunt that I am planning. That is my only reason for the thread. I don't want to be out in the middle of no where with glass that isn't going to hold. That is why I didn't ask about a tasco vs NcStar.

#2054192 - Fri Dec 31 2010 09:55 AM Re: Nikon buckmaster vs Leupold vx1 [Re: patonyk]
winchesterbob Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: forest county, pa
Well, I own what works...For that matter I own no VX-1s as I do not like friction adjustments when click adjustments are available as they are these days....

I do not need to personally own something to stay away from it...the Internet shooting boards are full of complaints about Nikon....

As for your general statement about some people having problems with Leupolds as well as Nikons, it is just that....a VERY general statement....had you gone further you would have learned that any problems with Leupolds are quickly corrected, unlike Nikon....

At the risk of sounding boastful (which I am not) I have a couple hundred, or so,Leupolds and have had a problem with exactly ONE Vari-X III which Leupold replaced....ANY issues I have ever had with Leupolds were with the old friction adjustment models....and all were repaired and returned within two weeks.....

Most Leupold scope problems arise from people who turn them out of adjustment, a problem which Leupold quickly fixes upon their return.....

Yeah, I've had a little bit of experience with Leupolds.....

#2054204 - Fri Dec 31 2010 10:07 AM Re: Nikon buckmaster vs Leupold vx1 [Re: winchesterbob]
patonyk Offline
enthusiast

Awesome that was exactly what I was looking for just info.I understand people like what they like. Thats great! I just want to know why. See with that kind of knowledge and experience with leupold is just the thing I was looking for. I do have extra money put aside along with what my wife has given me for christmas to get 2 vx3's if I wanted to go that route. The experiences are what sways me not here say.

#2054212 - Fri Dec 31 2010 10:09 AM Re: Nikon buckmaster vs Leupold vx1 [Re: winchesterbob]
Antler Offline
old hand

Loc: pa
I would go with the Burris for the price you can't beat em for clarity and dependability.(in the low end of things)$200

#2054234 - Fri Dec 31 2010 10:20 AM Re: Nikon buckmaster vs Leupold vx1 [Re: winchesterbob]
Tony300wby Offline
old hand

Loc: Pa. Lehigh
Sorry, guess I didnt understand your original question.

Personally, I have no experiance with that Nikon model, I do have a few Leupold VX-1's. I have never had them fog, glass fall out, crosshairs break, ect.ect.ect.

I am sure if you research enough you will find problems with any make/model. While working in a outdoors store I did all of the returns for defects/broken products. I NEVER had to return a single Leupold scope.

You say you own/use both models. Have you had problems with YOUR scopes?

Good luck, Tony

#2054264 - Fri Dec 31 2010 10:39 AM Re: Nikon buckmaster vs Leupold vx1 [Re: patonyk]
winchesterbob Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

You will NEVER regret buying those VX3s....I spent a small fortune upgrading my friction adjustment Leupolds into Vari-X IIIs and VX2 and 3s....thank God for the ability to sell what I no longer needed on eBay....

I do have some rimfire Leupolds that, come to think of it. are VX1s....never had a minute's trouble with any of them..

#2054271 - Fri Dec 31 2010 10:43 AM Re: Nikon buckmaster vs Leupold vx1 [Re: Tony300wby]
patonyk Offline
enthusiast

No I do have a Buckmasters and works great The leupold I have is a straight 4X.I have found cons with everymaker of scope. That is why I was looking for personal experiances. I have only put about 50 rounds thru my buckmasters scope mounted on a 243. The 4X leupy is mounted on a marlin 35 rem. Both not having heavy kick. I'm going to have it sighted to 400 yards Vx-1 I don't think will do. After reading bobs post about the friction turrets. I'm going to look at the VX-2 and 3 also. They all look good in the store. I had a good friend in NJ go thru 3 Vx-2 on his 300 winny. We did that down the road from me last year.With the amount of shooting on this board I thought it would have helped more than it did. I shoot about 1000 rounds a year out of several rifles. Thats nothing compared to some of the guys here some 1000 yard shooters some 100 yard shooters. Some with 50 years of hunting on me. Thats why knowledge is so important to me. Thanks for the input I'm going to head out and spend the day looking at some more scopes.

#2054277 - Fri Dec 31 2010 10:46 AM Re: Nikon buckmaster vs Leupold vx1 [Re: Antler]
winchesterbob Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

I have had to send four Burris scopes back....In EVERY instance I was never notified when they received them and all took five to six weeks to be returned....

Three of the four had adjustable objectives that would not focus! One had a windage adjustment that did not move the point of impact...ALL were bought new and obviously left the factory with the problems mentioned.

Will I ever buy Burris again? Nah....plus they are comparatively heavy and bulky to boot.....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
266 registered (06canyon, 2ForSlashing, 1A archer, 4cslabs, 007Mike, 3 Jaegers, 19 invisible), 731 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
wincester-only, 16inpotter, ahitz3, Paramedic90, Chesco stuffer
33475 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Day 19 October 25 Saturday
by bleapline
2 minutes 31 seconds ago
albino buck.........
by big28hunter
2 minutes 36 seconds ago
2014 PA ARCHERY BUCK HARVEST TRACKER THREAD
by DrewMc
13 minutes 18 seconds ago
Woodchuck Mount
by big28hunter
14 minutes 2 seconds ago
Mid-Week Mallard Mash
by big28hunter
16 minutes 18 seconds ago
camp for sale
by furman
17 minutes 46 seconds ago
The last letter game
by deerslayer9688
19 minutes 52 seconds ago
New Topics
2014 / 2015 SUCCESS THREAD / PICTURES
by KenBuck
Web attack
by RidgeHunter88
After a limit I still shoot
by Boatman
08:16 AM
Joke of the Day 10/25/14
by dc 21
07:54 AM
First harvest with my Flintlock
by EnglishSteve
07:10 AM
One of the perks of driving late at night...
by muskyman62
04:55 AM
Day 19 October 25 Saturday
by boli
04:49 AM
Top Posters
great white hunter 35350
RonM 30331
RB-HPA 27907
Bluetick 23971
DennyF 22926
TATERDAVID 22695