Click here HuntingPA.com
Outdoor Community

Hunting Laws and Regulations Forum

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1999520 - Mon Nov 29 2010 10:41 PM Distance from a road?
cen Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Sharpsville, PA 1A
While hunting this afternoon, I decided to try a new spot and posted up towards a pretty active road. There are no houses or anything near my spot or any other things in the typical "safety zone". I did see some does and found a nice tree to climb next weekend. This might be a dumb question but for the life of me I can't see it in the Rules digest, Is there a specific distance you have to be to hunt from a road, with a firearm? Sorry for the duh.

#1999529 - Mon Nov 29 2010 10:50 PM Re: Distance from a road? [Re: cen]
comblockshooter Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: jeff co pa
as far as i know no distance from road. you can actually shoot across a road

#1999535 - Mon Nov 29 2010 10:57 PM Re: Distance from a road? [Re: comblockshooter]
Dances with Skunks Offline
Carpal \'Tunnel

Loc: Bloody Ridge
You may not shoot across a road unless the line of fire is high enough to preclude hitting a motorist. You may stand just off of the roadway, however you need to go 25 yards after alighting from a vehicle.

#1999822 - Tue Nov 30 2010 09:04 AM Re: Distance from a road? [Re: cen]
bloodhound Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mars,Pa
When we do drives a lot of the blocks we work, our posters ALL stand on the road and shoot... As long as your legally walk 25yards from the vehicle you can shoot right from the road, or as mentioned above you can shoot ACROSS the road as long as your bullet travel path is well above the line of travel the vehicles travel...

#1999836 - Tue Nov 30 2010 09:12 AM Re: Distance from a road? [Re: cen]
deadon4 Offline
HPA SC Rep
Pooh-Bah

Loc: USA
I had a WCO tell me once that as long as you did not locate the game from your truck (hence the 25 yard rule), I could rest my gun on the guide rail and shoot. I would still feel strange about it and it's not the way I like to hunt but it is legal.

#2000504 - Tue Nov 30 2010 03:42 PM Re: Distance from a road? [Re: bloodhound]
John S Offline
Stopped counting

Loc: Lancaster,PA,Lancaster
You cannot shoot from a public road because the line of the shot would not be high enough to pass over vehicular and pedestrian traffic.

Sec. 2504. Shooting on or across highways.
(a) General rule.--It is unlawful for any person to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is on a public highway or on a highway open to use or used by the public or to shoot across a public highway or a highway or roadway open to use or used by the public unless the line of fire is high enough above the elevation of the highway to preclude any danger to the users of the highway. It shall be unlawful for any person, after alighting from a motor vehicle being driven on or stopped on or along a public highway or road open to public travel, to shoot at any wild bird or wild animal while the person doing the shooting is within 25 yards of the traveled portion of the public highway or road open to public travel

You are also misinterpreting the 25 yard rule. You must go 25 yards into the field or woods away from the vihicle, not walk 15 yards along the roadway away from the vehicle.

#2000544 - Tue Nov 30 2010 03:59 PM Re: Distance from a road? [Re: John S]
Woodywoodduck Offline
VIP

Loc: 5B wishing to be in 4B
 Originally Posted By: John S
You cannot shoot from a public road because the line of the shot would not be high enough to pass over vehicular and pedestrian traffic.

\

John, you REALLY need to reword that part of your post!

Reason being...

If I go out at o'dark thirty and park my car along a road and walk to the guide rails and stand right there on the Berm (Basically the Road but not the Traveled Portion) at the guide rails I could Legally shoot at something at Legal Shooting time that is on the Side of the Road in the Woods that is on the SAME Side I am on(I'm pretty SURE that is what Bloodhound ment in his post of them standing on the road, he ment on the Berm)...You, Yourself explained this a time or 2, but your wording there needs fixed!

From reading that part of your post, your saying you can not hunt from it due to vehicles and walkers...The Vehicles and walkers would be passing behind your Back and would not be in the line of fire.....

You have a gun that fires the bullets backward when it leaves the barrel and then goes forward??

Edited by Woodywoodduck (Tue Nov 30 2010 04:02 PM)

#2000620 - Tue Nov 30 2010 04:36 PM Re: Distance from a road? [Re: Woodywoodduck]
John S Offline
Stopped counting

If that is what he meant I misinterpreted it. He said they stand on the road, I take things literally, if he meant the berm, then it is fine. You are correct, if you park you car and just get out to hunt, there is no distance from the vehicle but if you see game, stop and fet out to hunt for it, then you must go 25 yards into the field before you can shoot.

#2000689 - Tue Nov 30 2010 05:16 PM Re: Distance from a road? [Re: John S]
erschiessen Offline
The man

Loc: Columbia County
 Originally Posted By: John S

Sec. 2504. Shooting on or across highways.
(a) General rule.--It is unlawful for any person to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is on a public highway or on a highway open to use or used by the public or to shoot across a public highway or a highway or roadway open to use or used by the public unless the line of fire is high enough above the elevation of the highway to preclude any danger to the users of the highway. It shall be unlawful for any person, after alighting from a motor vehicle being driven on or stopped on or along a public highway or road open to public travel, to shoot at any wild bird or wild animal while the person doing the shooting is within 25 yards of the traveled portion of the public highway or road open to public travel

You are also misinterpreting the 25 yard rule. You must go 25 yards into the field or woods away from the vihicle, not walk 15 yards along the roadway away from the vehicle.

JohnS,
Not TRYING to be nit-picky - but the digest (nor the Game Laws) does not state that one can not be on the road and shoot.
One can not shoot across a road, unless the projectile will not be a danger (line of fire high enough above the elevation of the highway).
One can not shoot at game that is on the road.

But one can shoot from the road, albeit not from a vehicle... since it is not shooting across a road, but from the road.

I believe RSB posted something similar a few years back, during a discussion about seeing guys quickly unloading their guns when they saw him while they were walking on the roadway.
ixnay on #11534

#2000754 - Tue Nov 30 2010 05:41 PM Re: Distance from a road? [Re: erschiessen]
John S Offline
Stopped counting

If you are in the middle of a road and shoot, you are shooting accross it, and no it is not unlawful to walk on a road with a loaded firearm, a lot of people think it is, I grew up thinking that. I don't want to get into a protractd argument on this but if you are shooting accross a lane of travel, you are shooting accross a highway.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  BCozhunter, corey22, DIYASUB, Samuel 
Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
151 registered (abowhntr4life, 5chunter, 54flint, armyvet, arrowflight1, 25ftup, 14 invisible), 595 Guests and 111 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
JMackanick, vern faulkver, Spencer12345, Kennasdad, Mossback_klapp
33087 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Pending: Game Fish Commission Merger Bill
by jimbridger
up close and personal sony homebrew
by zaj56
waxed dirt??
by stroker97