Outdoor Community

Fables and Tales Forum

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#1030540 - Wed Feb 18 2009 02:53 AM Re: arrowhead hunting [Re: wilbursuZiki]
YankeeHunter Offline
The man

Loc: Wayne Co., Pa
I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I've had some experience and instruction. There was a local guy back home in Western NY, who was an amatuer archaeologist with thousands od artifacts he had collected over the years. He "learned" me and my freinds how to and where to. Often anthropologists and archaeologist from the Universities and museums would consult him.
That site where you found the chips could also be a "kill site" where they cut up one or more animals. They used small flakes cut meat and scrape hides, full knives were rare. They would usually carry a large peice of flint and make tools as the went along or as needed.

#1030549 - Wed Feb 18 2009 04:21 AM Re: arrowhead hunting [Re: YankeeHunter]
Big Ken Offline
Honored

Loc: Pitman
Being an amateur collector for over 40 years, I can think of no more satisfying of a hobby than collecting Indian artifacts..Each one is different, and each one tells a story.First of all, most "arrowheads" were actually made thousands of years before bows & arrows even existed, and were actually knife blades, hafted to a wooden handle.

I've done all my collecting along the Susquehanna and it's tributaries within Northumberland, Schuykill, and Dauphin Counties.The good news is that 90% of those arrowheads are still out there..The bad news is that most plowing has given way to no-till practices where these arrowheads are no longer being raised to the surface for us collectors..But not everywhere.

Where do I look for arrowheads?...Along water sources, native americans built their camps at the first terrace above flood stage..Those are the fields to try first.I wait until after at least three good rains to wash mud & dirt off of the stones.. Dig along creek banks, especially around uprooted trees. Some of my favorite places are washouts right after a huge downpour...Want to know a secret?..The islands of the Susquehanna are loaded with artifacts, but you have to dig.Try the downstream end first, especially during a drought when the water levels are down..Be careful as some islands are PGC sanctioned and are off-limits as far as removing objects.Building excavation sites are another good place to snoop around.

Aging arrowheads comes with reading about them. Native American cultures span some 11,000 years until maybe 1000 years ago when metal processes were discovered.Each culture had their own "designs' by which they knapped points, with the most recent being the "triangle" points of the woodland era. Stemmed and notched points,generally, are older...What's cool is walking a field and finding arrowheads from different cultures all in the same field...Groups would come and settle in a spot for maybe a few centuries, and move on..Another group would come later and settle the same area, etc...A very addicting hobby!..I often go trout fishing in the spring only to turn around and find a freshly plowed field directly in back of me...Soon, the fishing pole is lying on the bank while I walk back & forth looking for that tell-tale stone with an odd shape..When I go hunting for arrowheads, I take an old golf putter that I fashioned into a point, which I use for flipping over potential stones..Many times, all you see is an edge or the side of an arrowhead sticking above the ground..Farm machinery probably ruins about 80% of the points I have found..I have, maybe 2000 points but many are in a five gallon bucket as damaged pieces..I only display the decent ones anymore...Here are a few.......Ken

#1030824 - Wed Feb 18 2009 09:42 AM Re: arrowhead hunting [Re: Big Ken]
Fleroo Online   content
The man

Loc: 2A-Wash. Co.
Holy Smokes... WOW !!!

#1031689 - Wed Feb 18 2009 05:13 PM Re: arrowhead hunting [Re: Fleroo]
YankeeHunter Offline
The man

Loc: Wayne Co., Pa
Thats great advice Ken
You've got a few celts too I see.
I have not done it in a while, but maybe I can try looking again soon. I have a farm the lady will let me go looking along the Lackawaxen River in Wayne County. not sure what Indians were here. But I'll find out.
Where I grew up in Western NY, we found a lot of Seneca stuff. There was a double palisaded village of the Neutral Tribe (as the French called) them which were massacred by the Seneca in the early 1600s. We used to dig there and search the fields. We had tons of pottery shards, points, tools, and my buddy found a soapstone pipe bowl in perfect shape.
If if you have a County historian, he/she may be able to direct you to any such sites like my above mentioned village.

#1031782 - Wed Feb 18 2009 05:59 PM Re: arrowhead hunting [Re: YankeeHunter]
Big Ken Offline
Honored

Yankee,

Actually, any of the tributaries leading to the Great Lakes are gold mines for artifacts...The Onondaga Chert favored by western New York Cultures is very beautiful, and we even find some of it around here which proves that the people traveled and traded their regional tool making materials...Congrats on the soapstone pipe, I've never found one!........Ken

#1031792 - Wed Feb 18 2009 06:04 PM Re: arrowhead hunting [Re: Big Ken]
Joseph Lungblood Offline
old hand

Loc: PA
Awesome collection. I always wanted to find an arrowhead.

#1032189 - Wed Feb 18 2009 08:37 PM Re: arrowhead hunting [Re: YankeeHunter]
Savagehunter99 Offline

Loc: Adams County, PA
Great info...thanks. Where in Western NY are you from? My grandparents live in Cuba, NY, near Olean.

#1032230 - Wed Feb 18 2009 08:51 PM Re: arrowhead hunting [Re: Big Ken]
Savagehunter99 Offline

Loc: Adams County, PA
Wow Ken, That definately gets the fire going, for sure. I live in Adams County, and work in Franklin County...not too far from the Susquehanna. What you had to say shows a lifetime of study and experience. Thank you for sharing. You hit the nail on the head too, without the story, without the history of the artifact, its just a neat looking rock. You've shown otherwise. A good buddy and I are going to hit it hard this spring and summer, and hopefully with some luck and determination, we'll have something to post too. Thanks for the hints.

#1032232 - Wed Feb 18 2009 08:51 PM Re: arrowhead hunting [Re: Savagehunter99]
Sqrlhntr Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: northeastern Pennsylvania
We used to find a lot of arrowheads along the Susquehanna in Susquehanna County and just over the border in Broome County. I had about 50 arrowheads and when I moved they disappeared to one of the movers. Didn't miss them as it took awhile to unpack. I did buy a bag of arrowheads in Canadaigua NY at an antique store for $5.00. About 20 of them but they had small broken points. Where we used to pick them along the Susquehanna there was a potato farm that was plowed every year but that is long gone. It is exciting to find one and I still find a few.

#1032359 - Wed Feb 18 2009 09:47 PM Re: arrowhead hunting [Re: YankeeHunter]
Big Ken Offline
Honored

Originally Posted By: YankeeHunter

You've got a few celts too I see.

Actually YankeeHunter, those are axes, and I have about a dozen of them..Most have the obvious tip damage and were probably disgarded by the users at some point..Susquehanna axes run huge and several of mine tip the scales at around eight or nine pounds. I can't help but think that some were camp axes, as nobody is going to lug something that heavy from place to place!...Axes are not easy to find, simply because most of them have already been found, as they are easy to spot from a distance...Ken

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Finn Anthony 
Google Ads
HuntingPA Sponsors
60X Custom Strings
ADT Security
Arrowhead
Boondock Outdoors
FoxPro
Growing Up With Guns
Hilltop Seeds
Hunting GPS Maps
Huntworth Gear
James Creek Outfitters
Knob Mountain Kennel
Lancaster Archery
Lowes Whitetail Scents
Martz Gap Hunting Preserve
Midwest Turkey Call Supply
Magees Optics
Mt. Hope Game Preserve
Night Eyes Predator Lights
No Limits Outdoors
On-Point Outfitters
Outdoorsman's Insight Magazine
Pheasants Forever
Premier Hunting Adventures
Randy Kuntz's Taxidermy
Realtree
Stony Gun & Archery
TrailCamPro
Two Bear Outfitters
Ultimate Camo
Who's Online
369 registered (007Mike, 171farm, (+)Squeeze86, 1shot2kills, 17 furball, 40 invisible), 795 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Google Ads
Newest Members
Dan W York, roughneck065, Tompovo, Bogey, JessJ
33504 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Best call for the rut?
by ram345
1 minute 17 seconds ago
First Kill
by Hunterknapp16
2 minutes 58 seconds ago
BBD 10-30-14!!!!!
by deluxe hunter
3 minutes 9 seconds ago
Day 24, October 31st - Halloween!
by missedshot
3 minutes 38 seconds ago
Camp financial burden?
by HomeintheWoods
3 minutes 52 seconds ago
With a little help from my friends..........
by Moss
4 minutes 25 seconds ago
I know this sounds crazy
by Pops423
5 minutes 36 seconds ago
New Topics
Geneva swamps
by nellie
First Kill
by kdvarmint
FoxPro ----- THANK YOU!!!
by hi_tech_redneck
PGC SGL Naming Convention
by grousechaser
8 got 8
by Chesco stuffer
WTB flintlock pistol
by D'Donny
With a little help from my friends..........
by lonnielou688
Top Posters
great white hunter 35452
RonM 30452
RB-HPA 27923
Bluetick 23985
DennyF 22933
TATERDAVID 22709
SigPro2340 21480
Peppy 20884
DIYASUB 20534
timberdoodle 19305