The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

What kind of bird did I see?

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  soup1279 
#1 ·
Not really sure what it is and I'm curious to know. I wish I could have stopped to take a picture but traffic didn't allow it.

There were 3 of them in a group around Skippack/Worcester
They were about the size of a Smaller adult Turkey but they had the shape of a partridge (slopped back) and were flat grey color with some brighter colors (red/blue?) in their head/beak area.

This is the second time I've seen a group of birds that fit this description. Once in Limerick (Saw 2 during deer season) and again this morning (3).

What kind of birds are these?

#13 ·
soup1279 said:
John S said:
People are buying the and turning them loose in ther yards to reduce the tick population.
so the next logical question is...... do they taste good?
They do better against 'yotes but eventually get eaten. They eat a lot of ticks and make noise.

#16 ·
Interesting. I wouldn't want to shoot someones pet or whatever but I found it odd I've been seeing a few of these in areas where I hunt. I've come across a number of Chukar on game lands in the past and was wondering if these were used for the same thing as that is where I've been seeing them

I guess not.

#17 ·
The chukars you saw on game lands are more likely there because of people training dogs. The PGC does not release them to kill ticks and released chukars do not last long in the wild.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.