New Tent Time - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

New Tent Time

After the St Bernard took out the rainfly, and me managing to break one of the fiberglass poles last year, it's time to replace my old tent. The one I had was a 20 year old Outbound, that had seen me through many hunting and fishing trips, as well as many family camping vacations. It has served me extremely well. The only time it ever got water inside was when it wasn't set up right and a severe storm pounded us all night. And that was just one corner that got wet. The rainfly is shot though. Two years ago the dog tried to squeeze between the tent and a tree and put a large tear in it, but some fancy duct taping fixed that. Last year I noticed it was starting to show some dry rotting and the fabric getting brittle, then one of the boys landed a soccer ball on it right above the tent door, putting a multi direction tear in it.
The tent itself is still in excellent shape, and goes up as tight as it did 20 years ago. So I'm going to order new poles for it and see if I can get a new rainfly made. And keep it as a secondary.

Last week I was getting all the measurements for the poles when I decided to buy a new tent. The five of us fit in the old one, but could definitely use more space. I have a Kodiak Canvas truck tent that I use for overnight hunting here, but obviously too small for the family. That tent is super quality and strong, so I first looked at the Kodiak cabin styles. They have a line called Flex Bow, and I really liked them (always been a canvas tent fan). The weight doesn't concern me since I don't see myself ever packing an 8 person tent on my back. I found a dealer with a good price on them and that would ship one to my APO address (Amazon wouldn't) so I got it all set to order. Just had to get the wife to bless off on it first (I pick the style and quality, she looks at the niceties like color...). She didn't like the off-white/tan canvas, but was willing to go along with it, but she wants the new tent to have a dividing wall. The Kodiak doesn't have one.
So I started looking again. On one of the outdoor gear review sites they do a nice side by side comparison for tents of similar uses. One of them was a tent called Big Agnes Flying Diamond 8. It's a nylon type material dome-like style, but with an extra room. Looks to be plenty spacious for us and every review and write up I saw on it says it is exceptional quality and withstands extreme weather superbly. I thought about it for a few days, and looked at several other tents, then made the decision today to buy it. Even got free shipping through Amazon. Should be here by end of March, and will get it's first test run in early May in the Alps.

Will update after that first trip on whether or not I chose wisely.

Stock pics.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 06:51 PM

Re: New Tent Time

Big Agnes makes fine stuff. Doubt you will be disappointed.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhollow
Big Agnes makes fine stuff. Doubt you will be disappointed.
+ 2 on Big Agnes ! Great gear .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks for the reasurrance.

I haven't kept up much on gear over the past few years, and wasn't familiar with Big Agnes. When putting out that much money I like to feel confident. Every review site I found spoke highly of their quality, but the input from you guys makes me feel much better.

Shoot straight

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 07:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good luck with your tent. I went with the kodiak deluxe and camp year round in it every other weekend. No complaints other than its heavy, especially when wet.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thanks.
I have the Kodiak truck tent, and am very impressed with the quality. I've used that in all kinds of weather and haven't had any problems. That's why I initially started looking at their ground tents.
If it was just me doing the selecting it would have been the Kodiak Flex-Bow Deluxe 10-14, based on already knowing their tents and the fact that I prefer canvas over nylon for a large tent. But the wife gets her input too. From my research and what the others said, I think we'll be happy with the Big Agnes too.

Shoot straight

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Finally got a chance to set her up on a practice run. Wanted to have the wife and kids there so everyone knows what to do. Nothing worse than being the only one setting up the tent while the rest sit in the truck because it's raining a little, and use the excuse "we don't know what to do".

Laid out the custom cut ground tarp first, and that was the first realization as to how big this thing actually is. All 6 of us will fit very comfortably in there, and space for them to hang out if the weather gets bad. Which is what the wife wanted.

For the size of it, it went up extremely easy. Definitely need to do the poles in the order the instructions say. We took our time, followed the instructions, and start to finish was less than 1/2 an hour. That included inspecting the seams, grommets, clips etc. And I didn't raise my voice once.
Pretty sure we'll be able to have it all set up in 15-20 minutes from now on. And if need be I'm certain I could do it myself.

Here she is all complete, except I didn't put out the guy ropes. I did pull on them to see how well they tighten the rainfly though.

Without the rainfly

Looking through from the main entrance to the rear. There's a divider wall that I have pulled back. The rear section is big enough for two plus gear.

And all packed up. I took it down myself, in about 10 minutes. Amazes me that everything is in this bag!

Looking forward to trying it out. We'll give it a trial run in mid May.

Most importantly, the wife says she likes it......

Shoot straight

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 07:31 PM

Nice tent. One thing I found with any tent Iv'e ever gotten is to seal the fly seams with seam sealer. Heavy rain will always eventually leak thru the stitching needle holes,and there's a million of them. Happy camping

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 12:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

Very nice tent. Big Agnes is a good company.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 01:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

Nice tent. I'm amazed you got it back into the bag. I always struggle getting tents back into its bag. Good luck with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page