The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Reloading 12 ga trap loads

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  hunter177 
#1 ·
Last week I had a discussion with another trap shooter who told me he discards all his AA and Gun Club hulls after 2 reloadings. I reload my hulls until they show signs of splitting or burned out crimp edges and I am wondering if I am missing a safety issue with what I am doing. I get as many as 6 to 8 reloads out of each hull before they are ready to trash. I reload AA, Premier, Gun Club and Nitro 27 hulls with the following charge:
18 gr American Select
Win 209 primer
7/8 oz #9 shot
Claybuster CB178-12 shot cup

Am I missing something or is the person I was speaking with throwing out hulls I should be picking up?

#3 ·
when I reloaded & shot a lot, I did the same thing. the crimp was so bad at times the ends were open & would lose some shot :blush:
one time a fellow shooter looked at my shells & said I am stuffing to much shot in them :shocked:
I gave him a box of my reloads & told him to check them, see how much shot was really there because he would not believe how many times I reloaded a shell!
never a safety issue & if I did my part the targets got busted !!!

#6 ·
If the ends are not split but are not crimping tight and leaving a small whole for the BB's one can add a drop of candle wax; However, if they are splitting it is best to discard. When I was moving state to state ever few years and had no place or time to shoot clays I got tired of moving empty hulls and could find no one who wanted them so I discarded over 1200 hated to do that.

I now have boxes of empties shot once or twice which I will be reloading shortly. I also have part of a keg 700 X power from the 70's which appears to be working well...will reload and shoot soon.

#8 ·
One time I tried to mark my hulls to determine how many times I fired them before they were unusable. I stopped because they had so many marks I could not keep tract. When the crimps get ratty I toss them but I would bet I get 8 plus reloads from some.

I use Gun Clubs and AA for 12 and Federal, AA and Remington for 20. I see no difference between expensive hulls and Gun Clubs and Federal.

Reactions: bad primer
#9 ·
Reloading Trap Hulls

Personally I never use hand loads, just don't trust them, but I shoot with a ton of guys that reload both Gun Clubs and AA as many as 7 or 8 times.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.