The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Truck Caps - Leer, A.R.E, Century

13K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Wiz 
#1 ·
Looking for a new truck cap. Had an A.R.E on my last truck but it was already on it when I purchased the truck. Nice cap, no complaints but that cap was made around 2000.

Any opinions on Leer, A.R.E or Century caps?

#3 ·
I have had Leer on my last 2 truck and they are a good sturdy cap. I have the windows on both sides hinged at the top so I can swing them up and reach things inside the bed without crawing into the bed.

I also have the attachments on the top, with removeable racks, so I can haul a ladder, conduit etc..

I had mine color coded to match the trucks and never had a problem with the paint.

When I trade trucks I will get another Leer.

#5 ·
I have a Leer 100XL. My only complaint, the 3M tape holding the plastic drip edge on rear window keeps coming loose. I've re-taped it twice in two years and yes I completely cleaned both surfaces used the primer!

If I had it do it over I'd buy the 100R with a framed rear window.

Bill

#8 ·
Big Redneck said:
I have had Leer on my last 2 truck and they are a good sturdy cap. I have the windows on both sides hinged at the top so I can swing them up and reach things inside the bed without crawing into the bed.

I also have the attachments on the top, with removeable racks, so I can haul a ladder, conduit etc..

I had mine color coded to match the trucks and never had a problem with the paint.

When I trade trucks I will get another Leer.
My rig is similar to Big Reds. Wish I had the rack set-up though. LEER

#9 ·
Leer on two trucks. The s-10 had the opening side windows which is real nice along w/ ladder racks [aluminum cap] while my ranger had a glass top w/ sliding side windows/screens so you could not reach in from the side...

Both held up well.

This truck has an Extang 'tuff tonno' which I like though I do miss the cap sometimes.

#10 ·
I have 1 work truck with a Leer, 1 with a Century, and my personal truck has a Century. All have been great. My only complaint is that the Leer I have has a push button to open the glass. Very poor design that doesn't work as intended. The cables slip after a year or so and then the class won't shut correctly without constant adjustments. However, this was a returned cap so I got a good deal on it.

When I bought my Century, the owner of the Leer shop said that both Leer and Century are owned by the same corporation and the two plants are directly across the road from each other. After looking at the caps side by side, I can see no difference other than the Century having a round recess for the sticker vs. the triangular recess for the Leer sticker.

I believe my Century was around $100 dollars less than the same Leer.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.