.270 NEF handi rifle - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

.270 NEF handi rifle

I just got a .270 NEF and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these. I'm trying to find the most accurate ammo for it. I've tried winchester super x and federal soft point the blue box next is the core lokt.Any input is appreciated.

Gotta Killem' 2 Grillem'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 01:57 AM
Banned

Re: .270 NEF handi rifle

I hope you got a better one than I did. I ordered a brand new .270 Handi and it shot 3"-4" groups @100 yards. I passed it on.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

thanks mike. that stinks though, oh well maybe a new rifle next year

Gotta Killem' 2 Grillem'!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:15 AM

Moosemike why didn't you contact them and have them fix it?

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo666
Moosemike why didn't you contact them and have them fix it?
Good luck with that. Since Remington bought them they have had terrible customer service. The gardner Mass plant was great to work with when you had a problem. Now they basically tell you to go pound sand and to them a rifle shooting 3-4" at 100 yards is in spec so they would just ship it back to you (in about 2-3 months).

I have a bunch of handi rifles and if you tinker with them you can usually get them to shoot, but out of the box they are a crap shoot. I've had a few shooters and a bunch that were not. I don't have any 270's so I can't help there but a few things to check, make sure the stock bolt is tight, many came from the factory loose, check latch engagement and make sure it is even all the way across, if not lightly stone the high side, you can float the forarm but some of them shoot alright with it as is, make sure you rest it just infront of the hinge not out too far on the forend, they are hold sensitive if the forend is not floated. Lastly if you reload, almost every handi rifle I've had has quite a bit of freebore, they tend to shoot best when you load the bullet out a bit. Some of the ones I've had were so long throated I could't get to the lands setting the bullet out in front of the case.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 11:12 PM

Sounds to me like it is best to stay away from NEF stuff.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:33 PM

Unscrew the forearm. put a rubber washer in between the barrel n the forearm. Watch the tite groups u get. Gota float for these rifles to shoot.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 12:03 AM

I have to handi one a 30-06 the other a BC 38-55 both guns are tack drivers.
My 30-06 will tack drives bullets from the bench
My 38-55 I shot out to 500 yards using lead and starline brass hold a great 12" groupe with peep sights.
I also had and I say had a 7MM-08 barrel ,the barrel best groupe was about 11/2" to 3" at the 100 yd target.I tried a few powders and different bullets but it would never do what I was looking for.I did sell it and moved on to a new 1999 243 cal. barrel seem to be mint was purchased for a young shooter hew out grew it in a year maybe the barrel has 75 rounds down the tube.I yet have tried it more then likley it will be next year project.
I find handi barrel are a luck on the draw,I hope you have a shooter there ;good luck
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Banned

I had got an awesome H&R Ultra hunter in 450 Marlin that would just about shoot through the same hole at 50 yards. And I got a pretty good H&R Ultra varmint .223 that was minute of angle. But I stayed away from NEF since that .270. I know they're the same but I think they put more love into the H&R's.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemike
I know they're the same but I think they put more love into the H&R's.
That's possible. The ones stamped H&R usually had better finish and better wood. I never noticed any difference in how they shot though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page