McKean Co. Camps - Page 58 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #571 of 1642 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Re: McKean Co. Camps

Lots of Yotes and a few deer, Scott that seems like the normal state of things in our hollow. Never saw Stauffer's stand, don't even know what area up there he hunts on. I want to make it up in April / May for trout.. I do have recreational priveledges beyond the gate thanks to our neighbors in the valley.. I just like to bass fish the ponds up on top..

Home Of Coonhound Will's Creek Savage Sioux-Zee...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1642 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 PM

Wayne, Stauffer is in either Camp 144 or Sleepy Hollow and I think he is Corey's father in law, anyway he's next to where Corey is building his house. The tree house is really a house up in a tree by his camp driveway. You can see it from Scaffold Lick if you know where to look. It's a full cabin with electric and a deck about 25 feet up in a big tree. His family sleeps in it when the weather is warm. He put alot of money into it, I wish I had a picture to post. The guys on here would get a kick out of it!

This is who we are. This is what we do.
post #573 of 1642 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

I know who he is, and his camp down the street from us.. I didn't know he built a big tree house behind his place.. His place is next to camp 73... I remember when they dug the big hole out back for a pond but I never went back to look at it after that. He spends alot of time in the hollow with his grandkids...

post #574 of 1642 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:12 PM

Well my girlfriend and I are headed to camp for a nice valentines weekend getaway. We are going to hit up the three local wineries tomorrow and eventually make it to the westline in the evening for a good dinner. Then on sunday morning she said she wants to sleep in so i'm going to sneak off into the woods to take advantage of the fresh snowfall to do some strategic scouting and hit a few trout holes. I should be able to make it back up to camp for the next several weekends. Next weekend to do some coyote hunting, the following weekend for the big game feed, and the first weekend in march to celebrate my 30th birthday. life is good!
post #575 of 1642 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Indian, My whole family loves Flickerwood in Kane.... Best wine around we think !!

post #576 of 1642 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 PM

wayne, I totally agree on the flickerwood wine. Our favorite is the sweet angel red and the bruiser.

The girlfriend decided to go with me on sunday for a long walk along the east branch of the tionesta fishing, shed hunting and scouting. About halfway into our journey we came upon some tracks i wasn't familiar with. We followed them for a few hundred yards in which they would travel on fallen trees, down to the water, then back into the pines and up trees. I couldn't figure out what they were. then as we were walking right beside the water my girlfriend screams and i hear the ice breaking and water splashing. As i turn my head i caught a glimpse of a long black tail disappear under the ice. when she finally calmed down (city girl lol) she explained to me what she saw. she held her arms apart about three feet and said it was that long was all black and looked greasy. she said it looked like a mini seal with a long tail. she said it came out of the hole onto the ice and then saw us and turned around real quick to get back down the hole. the water was only 2 feet deep and crystal clear with half of the crick iced and slushed over. but this thing seemed to disappear and didn't come back up as we waited for 15 minutes back off the shore behind some big pines. i did find the tracks going into the water and under an old hemlock along the bank. help me out with what we saw. the only thing i can think of is a fisher, but i've been reading up on fishers and there is nothing about them going into and under water.
post #577 of 1642 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

My daughters LOVE Sweet Angel Red !!!! Flickerwood is the best kept wine secret in the state !! Being diabetic I can only have dry wine and I really don't like it dry. What you saw was an otter....

post #578 of 1642 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 PM

I would say an otter as well.
As for my wine, I like it dry. I'm a Merlot / Cab Sav guy.
post #579 of 1642 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:38 PM

Just returned from a weekend of coyote hunting, saw plenty of tracks and heard some howlinng but nothing came in. There was a good bit of deer tracks but we saw nothing while walking. The snow was like walking on cornflakes. We also saw Turkey sign. We did see 9 deer from the truck.
post #580 of 1642 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:40 PM

I forgot to mention that we also found bear tracks in the snow already at sgl 30.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page