Moisture Issue Whattaya think? - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 02:25 AM Thread Starter

Re: Moisture Issue Whattaya think?

No such thing as a stupid question! Yes the vapor barrier is towards the living space.

There is a gap between the top of the celing and the ridge. About 2 feet of air space.

The caulking looked "dry" under the board closest to the roof.(Trim board that the drip edge attaches too.) I might have to look there.

What is the best way to dry it out? Do I have to take it all out or will it be ok? I want to put some rough cut over it.

Thanks again,

Rick

Gen 21:20 So God was with the lad; and he grew and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 02:46 AM

Chinese Drywall?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Home Depot drywall

Gen 21:20 So God was with the lad; and he grew and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:40 AM

looks like you have a problem on that gable end. Check the drip edge, fascia, etc on that top corner.
Direct a fan toward that corner. Will have to check it when it dries out to see if itís crumbling. Depends on how wet it actually got and how long it stays that wet.
Check to see if someone had too long a screw when installing all those screws in the ceiling drywall

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 AM

That really looks like the roof has a sprung a leak on that end of your cabin. As stated earlier the water is running along the studs. Pumpguns suggestion is spot on. Pull a section of the drywall down and you will be able to see the water marks where it is seeping through the roof.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:18 AM

Do you have air intakes on the soffit? Did you leave a air gap in the rafter bays that will allow air to flow up the bays and out the gables? I use ridge vents with soffit vents on mine. You need positive airflow under your roof to keep the roof cool and pull moisture up and out. I'd pull that end peice of rock and see if your insulation is moldy/wet. Once you fix the problem and the rock is dry you can use Killz primer to seal it and hide the stain.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:49 PM

Use kilms once your problem is fixed for the stains.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hct4all
It seems like it got worse after 12 hrs of having the heat on.
If thats the case, and it wasn't raining, then it is obviuosly a moisture problem. Cold air outside and the warm air inside meet and cause condensation on the warm air side. When you have a cold beer out in the warm air in the summer without a "coozy", where does the condensation form? Outside the can. How much forms inside your coozy? Somewhere up there is a gap that was not insulated, or has fiberglass stuffed to tight in that it's letting heat escape.

"DON'T 'PHILLY' POTTER COUNTY" !!!
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 12:54 AM

Not to critique the work but have you guys ever heard of a chalk line?The screws are over the place on the ceiling.I see a panel ready to fall down.I understand the beer aspect of camp work,but when you had enough you stop working.My guess is that you don't have enough free air space above the insulation for gable vents.That and the shape of the internal roof line won't work with gable vents.You need vented soffit and a ridge vent.I have gable vents in my house but I have a full attic with an uninsulated roof.The floor is insulated though.One gable vent has a thermostatically controlled blower in it.Only to remove summer heat from the roof.It also lowers my ac bill more than you would think.You could try a dehumidifier to clear it up,but my bet is it won't work.Good luck I think you have a project on your hands.Fix the moisture now before the entire roof and walls are ruined.Trust me I know how it works in that department.You are actually lucky,evidence doesn't always show up until you have bigger problems.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hct4all
No such thing as a stupid question! Yes the vapor barrier is towards the living space.

There is a gap between the top of the celing and the ridge. About 2 feet of air space.

The caulking looked "dry" under the board closest to the roof.(Trim board that the drip edge attaches too.) I might have to look there.

What is the best way to dry it out? Do I have to take it all out or will it be ok? I want to put some rough cut over it.

Thanks again,

Rick
pull the whole corner area down....do it right and rectify the issue...you have a vapor barrier/moisture issue somewhere up there. If you have to pour 5 gal buckets of water to find the issue ....do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page