Camps on the Cheap! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Camps on the Cheap!

Thinking of getting a camp sometime in the future.... Just wondered what the best deal anyone has gotten on a hunting camp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 08:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to 41 MagFan
Re: Camps on the Cheap!

You can look in the paper where you want to buy a camp. I havent found any cheap camps and I dont think there are many out there. Also try looking on craigslist or driving around the area you are looking for. Good luck on the search.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 AM

Cheap and anything real estate don't go together very often. Prices for camps in particular seem to be very overpriced IMO. It doesn't hurt to look but cheap isn't going to happen; affordable might but that's up to your personal wealth.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Like most everything else your gonna get what you pay for. If you're a handy man and can do some improvements to a place you'll likely save some money.

I think you can get more for your money if you buy a camp in the north central region as opposed to areas outside of the Penn State - State College region or the Poconos... places that retain a higher property value.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Many times people think about buying a camp only to find that an extra worry when not there . Depending upon how often you use it is a big thing . I love going to camp with the other members . A joint venture is a great option . Sharing expenses for repairs,taxes etc. can be a good thing . Our camp is open to all members during the hunting seasons , so you don,t have to worry that it may be reserved when seasons come around.I suppose the main concern for most is the way folks are able to get along with one another . We all do at our hunting camp so it is a joy to go there .Good luck finding your retreat .....Finn

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 PM

As mentioned, even the run down places are going to demand a high price for what they are. Remember most of these camps up north are old sometimes poorly constructed (or at least not to standard building expectations). Buying something a little less expensive in hopes to fix could end up being a money pit.

Do your homework and good luck. When you see a camp for sale cheap, there probably is a reason why its cheap. Condition of the camp or hunting around the camp could lead to a lower price. Whats the sense of buying a camp if you have to drive long distances to get into prime hunting. Just be smart and good luck!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM

They exist but you still pay one way or another. I've done it. There are plenty of camps that have obviously lost the interest of their owners. Most of them have been neglected and run down and most haven't been offered up for sale. That being said, there are always a few places out there worth ressurrecting and worth the time spent digging for information like who owns it? will they sell? how much? etc etc.
Pay with cash or pay with time, gas, shoe leather, tire rubber, etc. Just choose your pay plan and have at it

Life Member of NRA, Tall Tine outfitters, and life member of UBP.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 PM
dce

Price is a matter of perspective I guess.I see camps around here going for less than 20k from time to time.I think that would be money well spent if it gets used alot.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Our camp was pretty cheap I think it was a steal. In reality we over paid for what it is but two of us went in on it. It's on a lease which is very reasonable per year. I would have spent more last summer at campgrounds then I have currently in our camp. Deals are out there sometimes you just get lucky

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce280
Thinking of getting a camp sometime in the future.... Just wondered what the best deal anyone has gotten on a hunting camp.
2nd this! My brother and I are looking for something small that boarders SGL or SF. We would perfer dirt because we want to build, but price is always considered if their is already a structure. I've found it tough to find a place under 20K. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Would consider Tioga (certain parts), Centre, Southern Potter, Eastern Clearfield Counties. Clearfield is a big plus.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page