Advice for buying land - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Advice for buying land

All, I appreciate everyone's help on my other topics and I'm searching for some new help . I recently got in contact with a lady about buying her land. I spoke with her today and she told me that if she is going to sell it she feels it is right to offer it to the neighbor who previously bought her other lot. I understand where she is coming from, but do you all have any advice on how you think I can convince her to possibly give us the chance to buy it first?

It is a dream to own my own land with my father. Her late husband was good friends with my grandpa, so I was hoping that would help, but didn't seem like it right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:54 PM

If the property is listed with a realtor, then I would say the neighbors had their opportunity to purchase it.

If not listed, then the lady offering it to her neighbors may be a nice gesture on her part, but I would make your offer contingent on a timeframe where the neighbors have to make a decision to purchase within a timeframe that you agree with.

Starting off on the wrong foot with future neighbors can have issues !

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa-Plinker View Post
If the property is listed with a realtor, then I would say the neighbors had their opportunity to purchase it.

If not listed, then the lady offering it to her neighbors may be a nice gesture on her part, but I would make your offer contingent on a timeframe where the neighbors have to make a decision to purchase within a timeframe that you agree with.

Starting off on the wrong foot with future neighbors can have issues !
From what he wrote, I do not believe the property is even for sale. Putting any contingency like that in my opinion is not going to win her over. It is her choice. I wonder if he told her the same reason he told us why he wants to buy the property. Sounds crazy but he may be better off trying to talk to the neighbor to see if they are even interested in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Part of the Community

My own two cents - if it isn't for sale, try to find someone she is willing to sell it to and get them to buy it for you. Pay them a fee, buy it off them, after the sale is final.
Sounds to me like her mind is already made up!

Your problem is - you can only see today, you aren't looking at the future.
Your dad isn't going to live forever, nor is the neighbors.
What may look like prime territory to you - today, may be worthless - from a hunting standpoint - tomorrow.

I had a friend that was poor as a church mouse.
His wife's family owned 40 acres, and gave him 5 of those acres, right in the middle of the property.
His belief was that 5 acres was not enough land to do anything with, and he gave it to his worthless adopted son.
The adopted son sold the land to a group of hunters that wanted it for the purpose of hunting, or so they said.
They started out with a tent, then a camper, then built a large house.
In no time at all, it went from being a hunters paradise, where rabbits, grouse, deer, pheasants were a plenty, to a place where no one else in the whole family could no longer hunt - because the house created a situation where it turned all of the other property's into a safety zone around it..

I don't even look out the window of the truck anymore as I pass the gate and the mailbox.

Go someplace where there is lot's of land, like Potter or Cameron County and stake a claim on a piece of property, where after you build your camp, there will still be lot's of woods where you can go to hunt.
Take your friends, family members, children up to that camp as often as you possibly can.

Leave your POSTED signs at HOME!

Backyard hunting might be convienent, but not practical.

No memory is as deeply ingrained into my conscience as my memories of going to CAMP!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

JMackanick, you are correct. The property is not for sale at this time and she is maybe considering it but she has not decided yet. Do you think I should mention about buying the property is a dream of mine. The number reason I would like to really by it, when I talked to my Grandpa last night he told me that if we ever had a chance to get the property he would consider going to go hunting again. He isn't in the best of shape and I would love for him to be able to hunt again. I care more about him living out his dream than myself going hunting.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 02:49 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater86 View Post
JMackanick, you are correct. The property is not for sale at this time and she is maybe considering it but she has not decided yet. Do you think I should mention about buying the property is a dream of mine. The number reason I would like to really by it, when I talked to my Grandpa last night he told me that if we ever had a chance to get the property he would consider going to go hunting again. He isn't in the best of shape and I would love for him to be able to hunt again. I care more about him living out his dream than myself going hunting.

I think everything you just said is your best chance at winning her over.
loridr likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 02:54 PM
Part of the Community

My only advice would be to try to be sincere and let the woman know how important this would be to you and your family if you were able to purchase the property and what your intentions are. When I was trying to buy a house we were in competition with other bidders and our realtor suggested that we write a letter to the seller (who also happened to be an elderly widowed woman) just to inform her of who we were, what our intentions were, etc... My wife and I were newly weds at the time and so I wrote a letter basically trying to instill that we were respectable people, a young couple starting a life together, looking for a place to start a family, how we really loved the home and could tell how much love and care the seller had put into it over the years, etc... The woman ended up accepting our offer but I don't know whether or not the letter had anything to do with it. Unfortunately in the end we were not able to come to terms over some faults that were uncovered during the home inspection but that is another story.

However as other's have said having a good relationship with the neighbors is important as well and if they feel they were somehow forced out that could cause issues. Do the neighbors have permission to hunt the property currently? Are you planning on building a home, just a seasonal hunting camp, or just having land to hunt? I know this sort of thing is not uncommon, my Father got a farmer to subdivide 12 acres off the end of his property to build a house about 20 years ago and he made it known to the farmer that he would like to have an opportunity to buy any adjoining ground if the farmer was looking to sell more in the future.

Last edited by Marcus99; 02-03-2017 at 02:56 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Actually, I started the conversation with the lady first asking for permission and she said in the 50 plus years she owned the property I am the first one to ever ask for permission to hunt the land, but she knows others hunt it. She appreciated me calling for permission very much. We are planning to build a cabin at some point on the property. In my assumptions, I believe the neighbors would buy it. They own a excavating company and I'm pretty sure they have the money to purchase it, which is why I'm hoping she can offer it too us first.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Part of the Community

I think you're just going to have to wait and see for the most part. If she tells you the neighbors are interested, maybe try appealing to the neighbors and letting them know your intentions. They may only want to buy it to keep someone from developing the land, but wouldn't mind a small hunting cabin, a promise of long term ownership(or give them first chance if you sell in the future), and maybe an offer of reciprocal hunting privileges and a promise to build your cabin out of sight of their home (if that's an issue). Communication among the parties always helps.

How big of a piece of property are we talking here?

Last edited by Marcus99; 02-03-2017 at 03:45 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

It is 15 acres and their piece is 17 acres.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page