Financing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Financing

I have a line on a Dry camp, no well, but has compost toilet. Anyway, looking to see what banks or other financial institutions will finance a purchase. It has a cabin already on it with close to 2 acres of land. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 09:20 PM
The Man

Are you buying thru a realtor? Sometimes they can offer suggestions. Alot of time local or small banks are more willing to do loans that bigger banks won't such as "land only". Bet thing is to call some banks and find out what they say. I know when I checked into a "land only" loan most wanted 25% down.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I dont know your living arrangements but you might be able to get a better rate and might be easier to get a line of credit against your current house if you own one
Team Dougherty likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:06 PM

You may do better taking a personal loan or go through a Credit Union.
A conventional lender most likely want you to have money invested in case things go south.
A few years ago I looked into buying a place over the water as an investment at the shore.
My credit rating and long term affiliation with the bank meant nothing.
They wanted me to put down 25% and since 75% of the house was on pilings they were not even sure the house would appraise for what the note would be.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 05:52 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 171farm View Post
I dont know your living arrangements but you might be able to get a better rate and might be easier to get a line of credit against your current house if you own one
Good advice if you are able to do it.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:47 PM

Definitely paying attention to this thread. Looking to buy a camp myself, don't have the capital upfront to do so, but making the monthly payments isn't an issue at all.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 08:29 AM

As mentioned I would try the Home Equity loan approach..
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 02:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just bought a camp this past year and I can tell you it's not easy. Some lenders will finance as a vacation property but it cannot be within a certain distance of your house. The rates are high and the restrictions on the building are pretty tough. The best two options are a home equity loan on your existing house which was already mentioned and financing through a local bank. For instance, most local banks will have easier restrictions and be more willing to work with you. For instance, the bank of Ickesburg will finance a cabin in any county that borders Perry county. They understand that a good deal of the properties in their area are cabins and have adjusted accordingly. My suggestion, if a home equity loan is out of the question, is to start calling local banks in the area you are looking to buy. They can usually help or point you in the right direction, don't even wast your time on the big name lenders, they'll make it clear they don't even want to touch it. We ended up going through Northwest Savings and Loan and they had a really good rate and relaxed "vacation home" rules that allowed us to finance through them with no problem. Our biggest hurdle was that we had two cabins on one property and nobody wanted to finance that. Northwest didn't even blink an eye.
cspot and mgdrobert like this.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 04:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

1shot2kills, I pulled a little annuity money for the down payment, then used Honesdale Bank for the loan with absolutely no problems. Next to buying my family home, its the best move I ever made.
cspot likes this.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 07:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

You may also be able to borrow against your 401K. You would be paying yourself the intrest. The downside is you probably would not be maximizing the growth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page