SE Region Crappies - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:22 AM

Springer - if you come up here and want bait..... bring it the only thing around here is "vending machines" anymore .... I don't buy bait unless I can look at it.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks. That is the one problem with having Cabelas around. I think they drove some of the small shops out of business. That place on Rt. 222 used to have great bait. Now, going into Cabelas for bait is a 20-30 minute ordeal. If I was the Cabelas CEO, I would build a small bait and tackle shop on the other end of the parking lot for people who just need to run in and grab bait.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:39 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Rick's Bait and Tackle....great shop and not far from my childhood home.

Man, I haven't fished Ontelaunee and YEARS. We used to haul a lot of crappies out of there, then it got overfished and was kind of pointless for a while. I've never gone back, but I should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

You can get rosie reds at an aquarium store, they are a strain of fat head minnow bread for they're color. Some sell the silver ones too.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:08 PM

Rick's closed 3-4years ago. There was a guy(Fink's) in Blandon but he closed last spring - There are NO local tackle/bait shops left .

Don't know about pet shops in the area.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:10 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Yeah, I know Rick's closed. Was pretty much inevitable when it relocated a while back. Was a neat shop, though. Sure miss the old shop in the original building. Walked in and all you could smell were twisters and other soft lures.....creaky floor boards....was a pretty cool shop. I'm assuming Russ's up in Pricetown closed, too...? I haven't been out there in YEARS.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:48 AM

tdd - Sorry I somehow missed Springer's post after mine about no shops and thought you were sending him to Rick's.

Yes.... Rick's was a great shop back in the early 80's when Rick actually owned it - after his nephew took over(86{?} Rick got a "real" job selling cars at Bayliss Olds) it started to go down hill. Around that time - FishinPoles also on 222 closer to Temple opened and was the better shop until he went out of business shortly after they built Walmart across the highway. Russ Blouch's closed a couple of years earlier due to family drama. While they were a great tackle shop they had very little "live bait". Rick's was the last one standing when Kieth bought it and moved to the new location, he did OK even had a bit of resurgence in business.....till Cabela's opened and internet shopping became mainstream. Kieth sold out to the owner of R+R (a daughter - both R's had died) who put her husband in charge of Rick's - nice guy but NOT a people person. Soon after that they sold the R+R location and maybe a year later they closed Rick's too. It was after that that Fink's opened his shop(more like a shed out back) in Blandon and he closed up last spring.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks guys. I remember Ricks. They had great minnows. I ended up going out yesterday. I stopped at Cabelas for bait and all they had were wax worms. We went to Ontelaunee but didn't catch anything. It might be a bit too early.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Last Minute Advice Requested: I am planning to take my kids fishing tomorrow for crappie. I have a small boat with a 15 hp outboard. I am trying to decide between Nockamixon and Blue Marsh. What do you think? Any pointers?

I have fished Nox before but have not caught many crappies. I have never fished Blue Marsh because I have heard it is very tough to find fish.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 03:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think Blue Marsh could be a bit of a nightmere on a nice Saturday with the pleasure boats. I know at times they won't let more boats on the water until some come off.

I saw the largest school of Crappies of my life in the Nock near the launch closest to 611 on the east side of the lake. Large school of nice fish cruising fast in shallow water. Strange sight, a friend and I managed to pick up a few chasing the school before they went deep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page