And then this guy shows up... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

And then this guy shows up...

Never saw this dude all year and now he is on two of my cams. Not sure what to make of it, But I hope he is still growing. I had a picture of a buck from last year that has an identical (but larger) left side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STC_0039_LI.jpg (819.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg STC_0054_LI.jpg (1.03 MB, 83 views)

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:52 PM

You lookin' at me?

Are You lookin' at ME?

Are YOU lookin' - AT ME?!

Nice deer, looks like he's an experienced dude.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

He's the skinniest deer ive seen this winter... he is either all sexed out or old

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:11 AM

The second picture looks like he has a couple little character points around the brow bases. Nice spread. He'd be really nice with a little more height and mass. Still a beautiful deer.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Part of the Community

That guy has the looks of an OLD little mountain buck. It's just hard to get attached to specific bucks in the big woods. They are so much more unpredictable. Hunt the good travel routes and whack the first decent one that gives me a chance. I still like the thought of knowing what's out there and moreso just getting good pictures to enjoy.

How many cams do you run over how large an area, if I may ask? How long do you leave them up at a time? You've been doing pretty well. This is my first year running cameras and I did pretty well getting bucks during the rut, but postseason I had some hiccups with the first couple cams I put out. I adjusted my placement and I am going to check 2 tomorrow and hoping to get some survivors.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:37 PM

Nice buck
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk yinzer View Post
That guy has the looks of an OLD little mountain buck. It's just hard to get attached to specific bucks in the big woods. They are so much more unpredictable. Hunt the good travel routes and whack the first decent one that gives me a chance. I still like the thought of knowing what's out there and moreso just getting good pictures to enjoy.

How many cams do you run over how large an area, if I may ask? How long do you leave them up at a time? You've been doing pretty well. This is my first year running cameras and I did pretty well getting bucks during the rut, but postseason I had some hiccups with the first couple cams I put out. I adjusted my placement and I am going to check 2 tomorrow and hoping to get some survivors.

Right now I'm runing four cameras over about a three mile radius. I took advantage of the big snow over christmas and found where the heavy travel corridors were and what oak trees were getting hit. I now have alfalfa out so most of my cams are on those sites. During the pre season I tend to forgo putting bait out in favor of finding where the deer are moving.

Once I find the first scrapes of the year, cams go on them or near them immediately. Ive also found that those first scrapes will go dead, leading to another scouting trip to find the new individual scrapes that rutting bucks seem to maintain. When I cam during or right before archery season, I treat each trip out for them like a hunt. This means that my normal scent control happens on a cam trip.

Good set over 2-3 weeks may reveal 30 trips or better. Scrape sets can get up to 200-300 over the same span if ya find a hot one. I had a cam on an alfalfa bale that got 548 pictures in three days last weekend. All of those 548 pics were of the same group of 8 does and fawns. So its a matter of what you are looking to gain from your set that should dictate how, where and when you set up.
Outside of that, I pull all of my cameras except for a one or two out of the woods for bear and buck season.
elk yinzer likes this.

Never Forget.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobbleBuck View Post
He's the skinniest deer ive seen this winter... he is either all sexed out or old
I agree that he is extremely skinny, but also has a very nice rack!
Any buck that still has his rack hasn't had much breeding. Without going into a long winded explanation, there are hormones in their body that, when "used up", they drop their rack. This is controlled by daylight. However, the more breeding they do, the faster they use up that hormone. Less breeding, more hormones in the body, thus they can still be carrying their rack. I'm sure many have seen buck's with their racks still attached even into March.
To me, this guy looks like an older deer. His face, maybe around his eyes, looks like one I shot that was 7.5 years old.

Is that a high fence in the background or a highway fence? Just wondering, he seems to be following along the fence line?

Good Sanctuary vs. Good Food Plot
Sanctuary wins by a first round Knockout!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa-Guy View Post
I agree that he is extremely skinny, but also has a very nice rack!
Any buck that still has his rack hasn't had much breeding. Without going into a long winded explanation, there are hormones in their body that, when "used up", they drop their rack. This is controlled by daylight. However, the more breeding they do, the faster they use up that hormone. Less breeding, more hormones in the body, thus they can still be carrying their rack. I'm sure many have seen buck's with their racks still attached even into March.
To me, this guy looks like an older deer. His face, maybe around his eyes, looks like one I shot that was 7.5 years old.

Is that a high fence in the background or a highway fence? Just wondering, he seems to be following along the fence line?

Wow, so that's how that works...that there's a mighty scientific-like explanation about your extensive hormone research! Ya scared me, am I gonna use up all my hormone by breeding too much?

I'd bet my paycheck it's a DCNR fenced clearcut. They gotta protect all them poor wittle tender young plant sprouts from the evil deers so they don't have to justify DMAP tags....oh wait, they still do, I'm confused.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:04 PM

nice looking buck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page