The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Your Right to Another Man's Treestand

32K views 168 replies 53 participants last post by  EIGHT POINT 
#1 ·
Ok this is simple. I started a thread before and it went a completely different direction than what I wanted. My eyes were opened to see the way other hunters respect (or lack of) each other.

Do you feel entitled to hunt another hunter's treestand on SGL that you didn't hang or receive permission from the owner?

#3 ·
Nobody will be in mine because I pack it in and out....will not be in another's stand, but may be in the tree next to it.

Reactions: TrailMan
#7 ·
I answered yes to the first question.

I do not feel personally entitled to do so, nor would I ever even consider it, HOWEVER....

My understanding of the law is that it is permissible, and so in the absence of it being phrased as a question of personal ethics, I read that question as permission via law/regs, and to my understanding, that practice (hunting someone else's treestand on SGLs) is permissible.

But I would not do so personally. Heck I have a good friend who hunts the same private land I do...he and I help each other place stands, clear shooting lanes, maintain trails, etc. I still don't go in any of his stands without his ok, and vice versa.

#8 ·
Is this REALLY a problem?

I dont hunt archery. No time. I can see wanting to keep stands to yourself for archery. I can see that if someones using your treestand for archery they are being lazy and using your scouting, work or whatever to benefit themselves. Would I hunt out of omeone elses archery stand.....probably not.

Would I climb in a stand during rifle to get a better view? Every single time. For archery I can see the difference. For rifle most definatly does not make a difference the vast majority of the time.

#10 ·
Despite the title of this thread and the other two common sense questions I also said yes to the first question. I don't hunt public land and don't go where I'm not welcome, but if I wanted to hunt a place on public land and the best tree was claimed by someone's tree stand I would leave mine on the ground and hunt out of theirs. I wouldn't like it, and if I could set up in another tree I would, but I don't feel that I should limit my chances because someone staked a claim on the best tree.

#11 ·
Yes, No, No.

Yes, I would use another hunters stand but leave if they showed up. I haven't done this in years because I have my own but when I did no one ever showed up.

No, I wouldn't be "happy" but as I have done, I put a sign on my stand letting others know their welcome to use the stand, I only ask "they" don't tamper with it. I have never found anyone in my stands but idiots have tampered with them. Pulled ladder pins, tried pulling stand out from tree etc.. Some are criminal minded, others are jealous of the time and effort put forth and all of them forget a 10 year old kid could be climbing that stand the first day of deer season. IDIOTS!!

#12 ·
Public land....I wouldn't use the tree stand, but if they are not there, I would feel I had the right to hunt the spot if I chose to. If they arrived after I got there, I wouldn't feel obligated to vacate that area.

Treestands on public land breed confrontation. I wish there was a law requiring them to be carried in/out same day.

#13 ·
Dude, do you keep looking for answers to the same questions? It is not that difficult to understand.

Can I help you here?

Simple: You hunt PUBLIC land. You use a tree stand YOU leave there. Upset that another hunter uses your stand on PUBLIC land. Looking for support from other hunters since you do not want another person using a stand YOU left on PUBLIC land and not getting the answers you want. Man, carry it in, carry it out. Get a cart to help you or something. People will either
Steal it
Use it
Damage it

Simple.... There is no magic bullet to get slobs to stop using what is not there property.

#15 ·
I think everyone is "entitled" to hunt that tree who buys a license. What "right" do you have to claim that tree ? If I pile a couple of rocks against a tree to sit on is that my spot ? How about if I pile up some brush for a make shift blind ?

#18 ·
I think the respectful thing to do is carry out what you carry in everyday on public land. If you want the privilege of leaving the stand for 4-5 months on public land, you should extend the privilege to others to use that stand. If not, you are claiming entitlement to that tree or spot.

I would also not recommend using someone else's stand for safety reasons. You have no idea if the bolts are rusted or straps are rotten, etc.

There is also no comparison between leaving a tree stand on public property for 4-5 months or leaving a vehicle in a parking lot while you hunt.

#19 ·
I know this may have already mentioned , but what would be the chances of some slick lawyer sueing the pants off of some tree stand owner that his paralized client used and fell from ? Even if the client doesn't win , it would be quite costly ! Lots of ambulance chacers out there these days .

#20 ·
Born2Hunt said:
In my humble opinion the question could be entitled: Do you have good common sense and respect others.....Yes____ or NO____.
I agree BTH, but with 27% answering they believe it's OK to use someone else's stand and even 14% believe it's OK to use the bed of their truck????

I have to believe these were answered in jest...either that or they've been very fortunate to not have run into the wrong guy.

#21 ·
This whole thread just floors me. It's totally indicative of the entitlement mentality in our society today. That being said, that cuts both ways. Leaving a stand up on public lands indicates that you then feel you are entitled to that spot and that no one else should be there. To climb in someone else's stand is even worse. So what do I do? I carry my climber in and out every hunt.

As for my truck, if I were to catch someone sitting in or on my truck without my permission, they'd be lucky if words were all that were exchanged.

#22 ·
I can't even begin to wrap my mind around feeling as though you have a right to hunt out of someone else's stand, regardless of where or how long it is left there.
For Pete's sake, even if you want to hunt that spot, why does it HAVE to be i the person's stand. Find a log or a rock to sit on and hunt from that. The all or nothing mentality just baffles me.
Reading this type of thread just makes me that much more appreciative than I already am to not have to deal with any of this ridiculousness on any of my private or public land spots.

I am at a TOTAL loss on the question of sitting on someone else's tailgate. Heck, why not check to see if the keys are in it as well and go for a ride while you have it. Has that honestly happened to anyone???? With the amount of tools and gear in the back of my truck, I would definitely have a conversation on that one.

#24 ·
JGR said:
Leave No Trace.
If I were tree stand hunting on public ground, this would be my route.

A lot of people out there do not even consider hunting a spot until they see someone's stand there and think oh, this must be a good spot. Leaving your stand out there, though legal, is just advertising your spot and not very smart on public land IMHO.

#26 ·
kudu58 said:
I can't even begin to wrap my mind around feeling as though you have a right to hunt out of someone else's stand, regardless of where or how long it is left there.
For Pete's sake, even if you want to hunt that spot, why does it HAVE to be i the person's stand. Find a log or a rock to sit on and hunt from that. The all or nothing mentality just baffles me.
Reading this type of thread just makes me that much more appreciative than I already am to not have to deal with any of this ridiculousness on any of my private or public land spots.

I am at a TOTAL loss on the question of sitting on someone else's tailgate. Heck, why not check to see if the keys are in it as well and go for a ride while you have it. Has that honestly happened to anyone???? With the amount of tools and gear in the back of my truck, I would definitely have a conversation on that one.
X2.
During small game several years ago I caught a group of guys examining a map spread out on the hood of my truck, with muddy boots up on the front bumper, when I stepped out of the trees.
Geography class ended early that day.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.