20 Best States For Whitetail Hunting - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Re: 20 Best States For Whitetail Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ptspike
Wow top 20 in B&C entries in the last decade. That's pretty good right there!
courtesy of private property

im sure the vast majority of record class deer do come off private land but not all.
The posting problem has only gotten worse as the racks get bigger...
personally ive never thought much of a big buck being killed by a guy who hunts posted property. Those types of chest beaters probably would quit hunting if they solely had to rely on state ground.
you really have to respect the hunter who consistently kills good deer on state ground because thats a true skill.

This state would definately produce trophy class deer if we limited the amount of people hunting but WHY would we want to limit people hunting?
for the sake of a rack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:29 AM

[QUOTE=clearfield12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ptspike
Wow top 20 in B&C entries in the last decade. That's pretty good right there!
courtesy of private property

im sure the vast majority of record class deer do come off private land but not all.
The posting problem has only gotten worse as the racks get bigger...
personally ive never thought much of a big buck being killed by a guy who hunts posted property. Those types of chest beaters probably would quit hunting if they solely had to rely on state ground.
you really have to respect the hunter who consistently kills good deer on state ground because thats a true skill.

This state would definately produce trophy class deer if we limited the amount of people hunting but WHY would we want to limit people hunting?
for the sake of a rack?
[/quote)

Best answer I have ever read on here, posted land and feed make large racks also. Which of these states farm feed deer?
post #13 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearfield12
20 Best States for whitetail hunting

18. Pennsylvania

Public Land: 9
Trophy Production: 6
Harvest Numbers: 9
Hunter Density: 1
TOTAL: 33

There's a lot of great things to say about Pennsylvania, including the insane number of deer harvested there each year (430,000). The state has about 4 million acres of public land and ranks in the top 20 for B&C trophy entries in the last decade. Only two states, Texas and Wisconsin, produce more deer kills than Pennsylvania annually. A solid deer population (1.2 million) and abundant licenses (800,000) make for an opportunity-rich deer hunting experience. Why doesn't Pennsylvania rank higher, you ask? It has the highest hunter density in the U.S. (20.5 hunters per sq. mile) and can be a nightmare come opening morning of deer season.
http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/20.../#ixzz2fTMMtiSb

Quote:
Why doesn't Pennsylvania rank higher, you ask? It has the highest hunter density in the U.S. (20.5 hunters per sq. mile) and can be a nightmare come opening morning of deer season.
AMEN TO THAT!!!!

What could be done to make Pa better?
For the past 5 years after the first day I see little to no gun hunters in my area. Seen guys post on here they do not see a hunter all day. that's a terrible write up. The only thing that will ever make hunting in this state better is to drop AR and make hunting a family fun sport not the greed horn hassle it is at the present.
post #14 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
for the sake of a rack?
we don't always agree, but this is something i also feel strongly about. i like big bucks, but the opportunity for everyone to hunt every year trumps everything else as far as i'm concerned.
post #15 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellodog
Quote:
for the sake of a rack?
we don't always agree, but this is something i also feel strongly about. i like big bucks, but the opportunity for everyone to hunt every year trumps everything else as far as i'm concerned.
I think every guy who hunts ultimately likes big racks but in the end the social aspect and camaraderie win out for me. Id much rather see other guys get a legal buck then me get a big one
post #16 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Banned

i like the chase. the big racks are just a byproduct of that. i don't know or care why anyone else hunts, but i know that folks hunt for a variety of reasons. limiting anyones opportunities to cater to any groups particular ideas would be foolish.
post #17 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellodog
facts?

do we really harvest 430,000 deer?

are there really 1.2 million deer here?
sounds like an opinion article, based on the authors
"research."
That's the problem I have, I don't buy those numbers.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #18 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 11:15 PM

I agree especially hunting over standing and cut corn and beans on Private Property......RESIDUE if You know what I mean , a lot easier than hunting in the Woods
post #19 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 04:35 PM

We'd be in the top ten pretty quick if folks would let the bucks mature a little.

Oh but wait... this is PA, we each gotta shoot a buck every year so that we can throw the rack in a bucket along with the rest and never look at it again.
post #20 of 376 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBlaster
We'd be in the top ten pretty quick if folks would let the bucks mature a little.

Oh but wait... this is PA, we each gotta shoot a buck every year so that we can throw the rack in a bucket along with the rest and never look at it again.
easily said by those who hunt posted private ground....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page