huge 5 point - Page 15 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 182 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 PM

Re: huge 5 point

We all shoot the first legal buck we see in rifle season. If it is big great, if not, great. Still a great day of hunting, and fun night of telling stories with some cold ones! Then it starts all over again the next day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 182 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 11:30 PM

Couldnt agree more. Hunting has changed and its not all for the good. To many cant see past what they want . Congrats to you buddys wife a great deer for her and first with a bow. Tell her way to go.

Dale
post #143 of 182 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
It is a shame that we have come to this as supposed sportsmen.
I remember when hunting was about comaraderie and everyone got along. You were happy if they were happy.
Good bad or in between each season was special and each harvest celebrated.
Not all this bickering about AR - HR or Just blasting someone for shooting a legal buck that made them happy.

My Buddy's wife shot her first buck with the bow this year, a really decent 12" 9 pointer. Instead of being just thrilled with it, she was afraid hat someone would pick on her because it wasn't a slammer or "mature enough"

She never really enjoyed her day of a lifetime and that is just not right.
We have lost something here and that is the biggest shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sholder
Couldnt agree more. Hunting has changed and its not all for the good. To many cant see past what they want . Congrats to you buddys wife a great deer for her and first with a bow. Tell her way to go.
+1

Lo
post #144 of 182 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Runner
It is a shame that we have come to this as supposed sportsmen.
I remember when hunting was about comaraderie and everyone got along. You were happy if they were happy.
Good bad or in between each season was special and each harvest celebrated.
Not all this bickering about AR - HR or Just blasting someone for shooting a legal buck that made them happy.

My Buddy's wife shot her first buck with the bow this year, a really decent 12" 9 pointer. Instead of being just thrilled with it, she was afraid hat someone would pick on her because it wasn't a slammer or "mature enough"

She never really enjoyed her day of a lifetime and that is just not right.
We have lost something here and that is the biggest shame.

And that's all I got to say about that.

John L
if i'd have been there she wouldn't have had any doubt that i was proud of her, and her deer. if she was happy to shoot it, i'd certinly be happy to help her celebrate her accomplishment.
post #145 of 182 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Banned

Not sure what the problem is John. My family enjoys our time afield each and every year. Every trip to the woods is an adventure and we always have stories and memories to share at the end of the day. We are happy for any successful hunters and congratulate them when we see them. There is no "should have waited till next year to shoot him" or "I wouldn't have shot that" nonsense that so many seem to claim is an epidemic in this state.

I just don't see the ruining of traditions that others see. Everyone I talk to is always excited about deer season and traditions remain stronger than ever. Groups still get together the weekend before deer season to swap stories, play cards, eat good food, and discuss what their strategy will be. In short, deer season is still deer season. There is nobody at each other's throats claiming that their way of hunting is superior to another's. They may have differences of opinion but in the end they are all hunters who just want to spend an enjoyable day afield.

I have never finished a day of hunting or a season for that matter shaking my fists in anger and blaming something on someone or something else. I look forward to the season all year long and enjoy every minute of it whether I am successful or not. Nobody looks down on me for not filling a tag nor do I do that to anyone else. As long as we all have fun and enjoy each minute that we can in the outdoors, rules and regs shouldn't matter. What we can and can't shoot shouldn't matter.
post #146 of 182 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to 41 MagFan

very nice buck congrats.
post #147 of 182 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I doubt it Fleroo, good buddy of mine lives in Ohio. He just sent me a pic the other day of 5 slugs out of his thompson center with a 12gage barrel. Said it patterns better at 100 yards than any rifle he owns.
Oh sure. Getting slug guns to "group" at 100 yards is no sweat nowadays. BUT, there isn't that reach out capability that the rifles have. There is little doubt that you can "wing" a Deer 250 yards out, much easier with a 300 RUM than a slug gun.

More importantly, what Ohio has going by way of "Trophy" over PA, is less opportunity in the MAIN season. There's a good amount of Buck being killed that second week of gun season here in PA. Could you imagine the carryover if they only had to survive 1 week of "gun" ?

Ohio's soil isn't that far different than the non-mountainous regions of PA. Ohio doesn't grow a different hybrid corn than PA, that adds additional numbers to B&C scores. Ohio doesn't have some genetically mutant species of Whitetail. PA, like Ohio, has plenty of posted land also, so what is the BIG difference ? The gun types and the amount of time you have to use em.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #148 of 182 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Just a couple two three things for you to consider, Fleroo. First, most of the bucks taken in PA are taken during three days; the first day, the second day, and the first Saturday. Very few are taken during the second week, perhaps less than 10%.
Second, I'll wager that less than 5% of the bucks taken in PA are taken at ranges greater than those for which a shotgun is capable.
Third, Ohio's one week of gun hunting includes Sunday, a day on which more hunters can be in the woods.

Personally, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of bucks I have taken in PA at a range of over 100 yards, and will not use all the fingers nor the thumb. If memory serves, that number would be exactly zero, so I'm not missing any digits. Thinking back, I can remember one doe taken in the 1960s across an open farm field that would have been out of range for a slug gun. I have taken a few deer along powerlines and across open fields in other states at greater distances, but down there you hunt out of stands that they place for you. Most of my Pennsylvania hunting is done in the forests, not along farm fields.

An addition: Here is a link to Ohio's seasons and bag limits for this past year. Note that they do have a slightly more liberal archery season than we do, an early muzzleloader season for inlines, a two-day later season for guns, and a youth gun season.
http://ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regu...s/seasons.aspx
post #149 of 182 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 01:24 PM

Oh yeah mutt, I'll give you all of that. Down here in SW PA, MOST shots I would take a stab at saying 50-60 yard range or less. And sure, MOST Buck are taken on those select days you've mentioned. BUT, even at your modest, and probably conservative 10% guess on 2nd week Buck, Imagine adding that many more to the next years crop... year after year after year. I am thoroughly convinced you would see wayyyyy more "Ohio class" Buck in the photo op's of the Hunter Succcess Forums.

Think of it this way mutt. Send Ohio's what ? 500,000 hunters over here for 1 week with slug guns, and in turn, we'll send 900,000 over there for 2 weeks with our trusty -06's and 30-30's. After a few years you think you would see the tide start to turn a bit ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #150 of 182 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 02:35 PM

Except where it drifts across the border, the soil is different.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page