The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

25-06 Powder

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  mauser06 
#1 ·
I Just picked up my 7600 in 25-06 and was wondering if anyone had a powder they preferred. I think I'll be loading 117gr Hornady SPBT's. I know some books give the "accurate" load but mine does not. I'm not set on the 117's either,any suggestions?

#5 ·
never heard of a reloading book giving accurate loads. one load may shoot accurately out of one rifle may not shoot the same out of another. every rifle is different. best way is to work up a load that shoots accurate out of your rifle. i usually start out by taking the minimum load and max load and starting in the middle. i load in 1\2 grain increments working toward max. i usually load 4 or 5 rounds of each load and put them in sandwich bags and mark how much powder is in each set of loads. using different targets marked for each load i shoot them to see how they group. this has always worked for me.

#6 ·
I know how to handload, I'm just trying to find out which powder guys are using so I don't waste money buying 4 different cans of powder. The manuals list a bunch of powder choices, I figured I'd narrow it down by asking opinions, which I appreciate.

#8 ·
Pa. Slim said:
never heard of a reloading book giving accurate loads. one load may shoot accurately out of one rifle may not shoot the same out of another. every rifle is different. best way is to work up a load that shoots accurate out of your rifle. i usually start out by taking the minimum load and max load and starting in the middle. i load in 1\2 grain increments working toward max. i usually load 4 or 5 rounds of each load and put them in sandwich bags and mark how much powder is in each set of loads. using different targets marked for each load i shoot them to see how they group. this has always worked for me.
Thats the way you should work up a load but many shooters are hung up on the books so called accuracy load. Always wondered that my self. I always change charge in 1/2 grain incriments have yet to load 48.8 graind of powder xyz.

#17 ·
im still workin on the 280! tried some h4350 the first day...might have a load that shoots out of my 7 test charges..going to reshoot one of the charges...need a break in the weather this week to test H4831 charges...

really like the caliber..ive never shot one but always liked the ballistics of it and wanted one...recoil is nice and the hotter loads are comin outta there pretty dang fast...

looks like another few days till the wind dies down and i can get back to it..

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.