The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Minnesota cop not guilty????

6K views 135 replies 24 participants last post by  whil e kioti 
#1 ·
Well the video finally came out. Guy was quiet calm respectful and now dead. NRA hasn't spoke up in defence of a legal gun owner with proper permit, and justice didn't happen.
And people wonder why there is a divide, and why people of color feel mistreated by the "law" When you can't get a conviction with this then you give people the ability to question the ones that are justified.
Alton Sterling was a bad guy with an illegal gun, Mike Brown young jerk that assaulted a cop. But this guy???? When he doesn't get justice just shows how far we haven't come

Reactions: jimbridger
#3 ·
The guy had a gun, he told the officer he had a gun. Why would the guy continue to move his hands? If I tell a officer that I have a weapon, I am putting my hands on the steering wheel and listening to the commands of the officer. People need to listen to the police. The officer clearly felt threatened , and the court believed that also.

#5 ·
So he was reaching for his gun? He pulled out his gun? He even touched his gun?

I don't believe this guy with no criminal record traveling with his girl friend and 4 yr old daughter was a threat to the police. I stand behind the police as much as anybody but I call it as I see it and this time I see it way different than the police/jury see it. An innocent guy got killed for no reason. The cop should be in prison... but then again I'm only basing my opinion on what I've seen and read. I obviously I haven't see all the presented evidence.

#7 ·
Doesn't the cop deserve justice? Quiet, calm and respectful can turn to something else in less time than it takes to pull a trigger.
The police can't read minds. Carrying a gun for self defence is a great responsibility...preparing for what can/might happen when you carry is the responsibility of the gun owner BEFORE you decide to carry a gun...IMO, the kid wasn't properly trained in conceal carry.

#8 ·

Here's the dashcam video. It doesn't exonerate or convict either party.

But I have a hard time believing that a person with ill intentions would inform the officer he had a gun. All the pertinent events happen in a span of a few seconds.

The officer even states at the end of the video that he wasn't sure what the guy was reaching for, he just thought his grip was wider than the grip of a wallet (which the officer was asking for an ID).

#9 ·
so lets look at what is reasonable. You don't know that he didn't follow orders either.
He was told to get his license was he getting it out when he mentioned he had the permit?? NO ONE! is going to tell you hey I have a gun permit and a firearm and then try and shoot you with it when they see your hand on yours! His girlfriend and small child where in the car as well. This is IMO clearly a case of people NOT being able to ever blame the police for just being wrong. This guy shouldn't have been a cop at all he obviously can't make rational decisions.
Yes cops have a REALLY hard job and have to be on there toes, but in the way that the people are excusing this they can shoot anyone they pull over and then say they feel threatened. Why do we have to be so divided? it's like you have to feel guilty to say (yeah the cop was wrong) I'm sorry the DA completely attacked the victim in every way to try and get the cop off and it worked. Justice isn't blind.

#16 ·
so lets look at what is reasonable. You don't know that he didn't follow orders either.
If he kept reaching after he was told to stop then he didn't follow orders...the vid doesn't show if that happened hopefully the two eye witnessed testified to that point.

He was told to get his license was he getting it out when he mentioned he had the permit?? NO ONE! is going to tell you hey I have a gun permit and a firearm and then try and shoot you with it when they see your hand on yours!
That's a assumption on your part...how do you know he saw the officer with his hand on his gun? How does the officer know he's not trying to act like a good citizen to put the officer at ease? IMO when he said he had a gun and permit he put the officer on alert...at that point the narrative was changed by the gun owner...the officer said "don't reach for it...don't pull it out...don't pull it out." the kid should have stopped reaching IMEADITELY!

His girlfriend and small child where in the car as well. This is IMO clearly a case of people NOT being able to ever blame the police for just being wrong. This guy shouldn't have been a cop at all he obviously can't make rational decisions.
Another assumption...believing a criminal wouldn't put others in danger.

Yes cops have a REALLY hard job and have to be on there toes, but in the way that the people are excusing this they can shoot anyone they pull over and then say they feel threatened.
Another one sided assumption...No one is excusing this TRAGETY..."cops" deserve the benefit of doubt just like every other US citizen.

Why do we have to be so divided? it's like you have to feel guilty to say (yeah the cop was wrong) I'm sorry the DA completely attacked the victim in every way to try and get the cop off and it worked. Justice isn't blind.
Justice IS blind...at least it's supposed to be...you are entitled to your opinion...Justice ISN'T!!!

#12 · (Edited)
Ok so in the vid posted I clearly heard the officer say "don't reach for it...don't pull it out...don't pull it out" before firing his weapon...what about the responsibility of the gun owner to understand the NEED to obey the officer's command...even if in his own mind he was only reaching for his wallet...how is the officer supposed to know he isn't reaching for his gun?

#14 ·
Does that give the officer the right to shoot? That's what you want as a precedent for the police? Shoot if they merely feel threatened? From the video, I don't see or hear an escalation of threat from the driver. I see a cop who assumed the guy was pulling a gun out on him while asking for an ID.

The driver would have to be the dumbest person in the world if he thought he could win a gun fight with the cop from the position he was in.

#18 ·
Go back and look at the transcripts of the officers description taken the day after the shooting. Then condense it all into under 5 seconds. He was a BAD cop with an opinion that this guy was a bad dude before he ever walked up or this wouldn't happen. If every cop reacted to ever traffic stop with the same set of circumstances we would have 10,000 + people shot and killed every year.
The golden key or the smoking gun is that this only happened because the cop felt threatened by who he was pulling over. No one calmly and nicely tells you they have a licensed firearm on them then tries to use it on you from a seated dominated position.

#19 ·
The golden key or the smoking gun is that this only happened because the cop felt threatened by who he was pulling over.
OR...when the kid said he was armed and continued to search for his wallet he escalated the situation...IMO... this was a tragedy...perhaps a lack of understanding and judgment on both parties involved...but NOT CRIMINAL.

#20 ·
How about we stop referring to Philando Castile as "kid".

He was a man. A law abiding gun owner...licensed to carry a firearm in the state of Minnesota. He was not a bad actor, suspect or deserving of suspicion. Yanez had time to back out to the rear of the vehicle, obtain concealment and order Castile out of the car...at least give himself enough time to make distance, draw his weapon and order Castile to put both his hands out the window. The total duration of the vague "don't reach for it" command to opening fire was less than four seconds. This was a bad shoot.

Philando Castile didn't have TIME to do the wrong thing. Yanez' service weapon was out of its holster before he gave the first utterance of "Don't reach for it".

Personally, I think that the jury saw the dashcam video and registered Yanez' obvious remorse for having shot a completely innocent motorist without regard for human life...and acquitted him.

#21 ·
He may have be acquitted of criminal charges but I'd bet he never works as a cop anymore and will likely face a civil lawsuit. This is a result of black/white tensions and outright assaults on police, IMO. Mr. Castile felt, being a black man, he should inform the officer of his weapon (which we all know he didn't have to). Officer Yanez only "saw" a black man with a gun.

#22 ·
A lot of people playing Monday morning quarterback on the subject. Clearly the kid didn't follow the orders that were directed at him by the officer. The kid had a history of not being able to follow the rules and regulations of our society, and this time it cost him his life. The jury made the right decision based on the facts. Personally I am glad the officer was not hurt or killed in this exchange. Unfortunately situations like this will happen again, because for some unknown reason some people don't think they have to follow the instructions directed to them when stopped by law enforcement.

Good luck, Tony

#24 ·
A lot of people playing Monday morning quarterback on the subject. Clearly the kid didn't follow the orders that were directed at him by the officer. The kid had a history of not being able to follow the rules and regulations of our society, and this time it cost him his life. The jury made the right decision based on the facts. Personally I am glad the officer was not hurt or killed in this exchange. Unfortunately situations like this will happen again, because for some unknown reason some people don't think they have to follow the instructions directed to them when stopped by law enforcement.

Good luck, Tony
Really????
No record - maybe minor infraction that we all have had. legal gun owner and worked at a school.
Kid - is this the new Black man = Boy??
Follow our rules and regulations???

And people wonder.

#23 ·
the officer was clearly wrong. He was reaching for his license as commanded to do. Same for the black guy shot in NC a year ago, when the cop told the guy to produce his ID, the guy reached for his wallet on the car seat and the cop opened up on him. At least the NC cop was convicted. when the motorist reaches for a wallet the police officer does not know if the motorist is reaching for a weapon, so just blow them all away when they reach for ID I suspect the trial was thrown by a "soft prosecution" by the DA's office.

The NRA should have been all over this and didn't do crap. One reason why I ended my relationship with them.

#25 ·
Yes, life is very simple when you follow the rules. People have direct interactions with police officers every day without getting into even a slight physical altercation, because they follow the instructions given by the officer. Those instructions are for the safety of everyone involved. Obviously this guy/kid (however you choose to describe him) was unwilling to follow the simple instructions and forced the officer into using deadly force. Repeated violations of the law, even if just minor, clearly shows a blatant disregard for the law.

Good luck, Tony

#26 ·
Yes, life is very simple when you follow the rules. People have direct interactions with police officers every day without getting into even a slight physical altercation, because they follow the instructions given by the officer. Those instructions are for the safety of everyone involved. Obviously this guy/kid (however you choose to describe him) was unwilling to follow the simple instructions and forced the officer into using deadly force. Repeated violations of the law, even if just minor, clearly shows a blatant disregard for the law.

Good luck, Tony
thank you for proving one of my earlier points -
No rational human being would agree with that assessment in this case. You obviously are completely on the LEO must always be right side. I can only hope that you don't really believe what your saying, Watch cops! or ride along. if his standard of lethal force was ok then we would have 10's if not hundreds of thousands of people killed every year by the police! why don't we??? because 99% of the police have good judgment and instincts. but 99% isn't 100% so just admit it when it happens. and the "other side" wouldn't have such a good argument that the country is against them.
And 32 is pretty adult I would say.

#30 ·
I am failing to see what part of "do not reach for it" did he not understand? Did he tell the officer he had a gun? Yup. Did the officer tell him not to reach for it? Yup. Did he proceed to reach for it? Yup. What part of follow instructions did he not understand? Case closed. This is simple concealed carry 101. Obey the command, this never had to happen, he did not.

Monday morning quarter backs: Put yourself in the cops position, you shoot every time. This is what they are trained to do. Follow instructions is all he had to do. He failed and it cost him his life. This dash cam video BTW was show after the fact, not what the popular media wanted people to believe. Police are all criminals in the eyes of many, until they need one.

#31 ·
Put yourself in the victim's position, MMQB. Cop asks for license. You inform him of the presence of your firearm as you go to get your license. He says, "Don't reach for it", but you're already reaching to your pocket to get your DL. Cop doesn't say, "Put your hands on the dash." or "Put your hands where I can see them" Just "Don't reach for it". So, you say, "I'm not reaching for it."

"Don't reach for it!"

So, now your hand is out of sight on your right hip becuase in your pocket is your DL. Do you put your hands up? Will the LEO consider that a furtive movement and assume you're drawing your gun? Do you keep your hand still and don't move? Will the officer assume you're disobeying and putting your hand on the firearm?

Now, compress all of that into a total duration time of 2 or three seconds. You're totally at the mercy of the temperament and training of the officer at that point. Phil Castile lost.

Massad Ayoob very clearly states in a series on the subject that you move to the rear of the car and put distance between you and the driver, who will now have you in their blind spot. It will provide time and space to gain tactical advantage.

The LEO here had his weapon inside the car inside of two seconds. This is why he's fired. This is why the city is going to get cleaned out in a civil action. This is why Phil Castile's death was wrongful.

#32 ·
five relevant facts here.

1. he advised the officer he was armed and had a license.

2. the officer asked for his I.D. instead of telling him to place BOTH hands on the wheel

3. the officer told him not to reach for it, what ever "IT" was suppose to be...I.D. or Gun ???

4. the driver didn't listen

5. the Officer opened fire and killed the man with out ever seeing any weapon...Thats wrong.

do we really want police officers to be able to shoot anyone simply for moving., think about it.

i carry, i have been stopped, i advised the Officer i was legally armed and FOLLOWED EVERY INSTRUCTION AFTERWARD AND DID EXACTLY AS I WAS TOLD.

he doesnt know me or my intentions, still doesnt give them the right to shoot with out seeing a weapon.

#33 ·
Bull crap. the motorist was asked for his iD, while reaching for the ID, he told the cop that he had a firearm and permit, the officer told the guy not to reach for the gun, as he continued to reach for the ID, following the exact command of the officer. The cop clearly over reacted. Dont ask a person to reach for anything and then claim your are chicken manure scared that he may have been reaching for the gun. This motorist's lethal decision was obeying the officer. Too many police shootings for minor traffic stops have been from folks obeying the officer. The video of when the police shot the Vet in Philadelphia about 4 years ago clearly showed the police giving the drunk conflicting commands and then they rough him up and get their guns because he did not comply with the conflicting commands. Instantly, the failure to immediately do what no human could do, is interpreted as being unruly and resisting. It is bull crap. Cops have all the cards stacked in their favor when it comes to using force. When a person is confrontede by a police officer screaming at them and doesn't know why, they are too busy trying to process the situation to immediately comply. Two officers and Springettsbury Township found that an expensive lesson recently in a large 6 figure payout.

#34 ·
Sorry, but anyone who gives a rip about RTKBA and concealed carry should be up in arms over this. I have enormous respect for the uniform, and understand the sometimes untenable positions that police officers can be placed in. This is not one of those positions. Jeronimo Yanez wasn't fit for duty. He shot an innocent person because he was either poorly trained or lacked the temperament to be on the job.

2nd degree manslaughter in MN:
1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another

MN Reckless discharge law:
(2) intentionally discharges a firearm under circumstances that endanger the safety of another

As there was no commission of a crime, Yanez should be guilty unless the jury found that he reasonably believed that his life was in danger. REASONABLE belief. If it were you or I on the street, no jury would believe our fear to be reasonable. The bar is set lower for this defendant.

#35 · (Edited)
The officer was unaware of the gun prior to asking for Castile's license...the narrative changed when Castile informed the officer AS he was reaching or searching for his wallet he was armed... IMO a tragic mistake on Castile's part that caused the officer to react as he did.

#36 ·
Couple of things on this subject.

When I get pulled over, I have my license, registration, and insurance card ready for the office before he gets to my window. That way I'm not reaching for my hip or my glove box while he is over my shoulder and doesn't know what I'm going for. Very simple thing to do for anyone pulled over...it saves time for all parties involved, and likely would have saved this guy's life.

Cop fired a lot of shots for not seeing a weapon.

I don't carry, but if I did and told an officer that I did have a weapon in the car, I'm doing it with both hands up or on the steering wheel. I'm not reaching for anything after I tell him that. Then again, I wouldn't have anything to reach for - see first point.

#37 ·
Certainly appears a case of two wrongs.............sadly, someone died, and the other person bears that guilt the rest of his life.......

It could have, and should have been handled better by both parties.

#38 ·
Drag & toe

I will always take the side of the LEO until someone shows me FACTS that prove otherwise. In no post were there any facts to prove any wrong doing by the officer, just a lot of Monday morning quarterback's with claims on how the situation should have been handled. Obviously the jurors heard the facts of the case and made their desicion based on that, and not some www experts.

The whole situation happened because this kid would not follow a simple command by the officer.

Good luck, Tony

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.