The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

People ODing

6K views 113 replies 31 participants last post by  dragman 
#1 ·
Am i supposed to pity these people ? I or we didn't tell them to ruin their lives ? What do they expect is going to happen to them?

#2 ·
I don't pity them. I want to slap them, especially the ones with kids, and I might call for assistance for them, but I don't pity them.

At this rate, Narcan will soon be in every vehicle, the same way some of us carry jumper cables, fire extinguishers, etc. in our cars/trucks.

#3 ·
It must be that for a tremendous number of people on this planet that life is just too darned difficult and so they get into things that help them get numb or find an alternate reality.
Mother Nature in her wisdom has provided a host of things found in nature that are used for that effect. And then there is mankind itself who with the help of "science" concocts all sorts of other things that people can ingest or take intravenously to deaden the pain of life.

Something tells me that we will see a marked increase in this once the segment of the population who are now used to getting a "Participant Trophy" hit adulthood.

Why someone has not invented a disintegration booth that people could go to, insert a quarter and then hit a button to end their problems is beyond me.

#4 ·
time we stop interfering with evolution. I did not stick them with the needle. Yet they waste their lives away, expect the taxpayers to bale them out, pay for their rehab, six times in two years and pick up the tab to raise their kids. I'd feel a lot better about paying the tab to raise the kids if the kids were orphans.

I am sorry for the family members. It is not a disease, it is not contagious. If they have insufficient will power to stay away from the stuff. Let nature take it's course. There is currently more stigma against habitual drunks. How far are we going to let these addicts drag down our country? How much in resources will we waste on saving their arses from their own stupidity? I have no sympathy for smokers who get lung cancer, why should I have sympathy for those whose bad habits accelerate the chances of death.

#8 ·
It's simple - They need to DIE. sorry it's crude but they did it to themselves!
If we have FREE healthcare for everyone.
No one has to die because there cancer treatment is to expensive or not covered (my dad pays $3200 a month for his treatment because his union took the retiree's insurance)
And No kids out there starving because they can't afford food

Then maybe we should put some effort into helping them MAYBE! They make the choice they should live or more like die with it!
I don't even feel a little bad for them.

#9 ·
I don't feel bad for them.I'm also not happy about my stolen aluminum boat,battery charger,pressure washer and 2 lawnmowers.After they get the Narcan and live we pay the hospital bill for them after they are brought back to health to repeat the cycle including stealing stuff.The other thing that bugs me is honest people buying stolen stuff because it was so cheap.If they can't sell it they wouldn't steal it.

#10 ·
These low life idiots know ahead of time that what they are doing is a death sentence. They should just put a .45 in their mouth, squeeze the trigger and end it a lot quicker and save the tax payers a lot of money. I don't give a rats behind if I sound insesetive. This is real life/ real time. Not a friggin game.

#16 ·
Unbelievably we have citizens, politicians, and states pushing to pass laws that allow the use of gateway drugs in our society.
I think prescription drugs have a while lot more to do with this than recreational or medical marijuana. As was eluded to in the last few posts, a $10 hit of heroin is a lot more economical than going to the doctor and then paying for a prescription painkiller.

#12 ·
There is a lot of talk on this thread that I'm sure would change if one of your family members or someone that you care about fell down this rabbit hole.

The number of people addicted to prescription drugs is skyrocketing. The next time you wrench your back, or your sciatica acts up, it could be you.

Not all addicts have a needle in their arm.

Reactions: Bates
#13 · (Edited)
The heroin epidemic came about because of a big increase of doctors prescribing opioid painkillers to treat extreme pain.

People were getting addicted to those pills in large numbers. Then when the authorities realized there was a big problem with this, they cut down sharply on the distribution of these pills.

Then the people who were addicted couldn't get the pills, so they turned to street heroin.

Whether you feel sorry for them or not is irrelevant. What you feel doesn't change anything.

Opioid addiction is much more common now than it was a few decades ago. The real question is "What can be done about it?"

#26 ·
The heroin epidemic came about because of a big increase of doctors prescribing opioid painkillers to treat extreme pain.
The heroin epidemic came about because the drug culture demanded a greater high, having become bored with marijuana, and the Mexican cartels happily obliged by providing plentiful, cheap, and highly addicting heroin.

Narcan is in almost every police car here because good people want to save lives. Drugs have become a way of life for them. They are without any hope for a future because they see the lack of prosperity in their own and their parent's lives. My son is a probation officer for nearly 20 years, and after having supervised their parents, now he gets their kids. I worked in his office for a few years and the ones that said "I'm never coming back here!", now I see their names back in the paper for the same or more serious crimes.

How and why did it get so bad? When we allowed them to take prayer out of school, when we ban requests to bring a Bible to school but they teach the Quran, when we suspend a student because he writes Jesus is my favorite person on an art project, when we forbid to sing Christmas carols but rather substitute "traditional" Santa Claus songs, when Easter is now "spring break", when we allow them to teach about the "normalcy" of Bob & Steve instead of Joeseph & Mary, when we turn a blind eye to millions of dead aborted babies but we saved a whale or a seal (and hate the guy who shoots a lion), and on and on it goes.

And when we have confused freedom with liberty, and fail to see the difference, that our founding fathers knew.

#14 ·
Agree with that. Px addiction is a growing problem.

Recent study....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/one-way-avoid-getting-hooked-174033228.html

About 15 percent of people who take prescription painkillers for a week are still taking them a year later, according to the study findings.
At two weeks, that number jumps to more than 25 percent.
And one out of three people who take these meds for a month wind up becoming long-term users.

#18 ·
a few things:
My family - NOPE wont care, my first cousin 2 years older than me died from an OD at 34 his problem I wont cry for someone who did it to themselves.
Gateway drugs - Weed isn't helping or hurting heroin, prescription drugs are the gateway to this problem, not Alcohol or weed.

#19 · (Edited)
So pre 1995 no one was addicted to heroin? The Opium War in 1839 didnt happen? Because thats when Oxy became available. To say the heroin problem is caused by RX painkillers is garbage. Vicodin 1984, Percocet 1999, according to some, there was no heroin abuse prior to this though. Heroin abuse is caused by people wanting to get high, period.

That statement is just as misinformed or possibly willfully ignorant as saying Muslims are attacking us because of income inequality when they have been attacking us since we lost Englands protection post the Rev war.

Reactions: dragman
#20 ·
Prescription drug addiction is nothing but a copout excuse. Everyone knows the consequences of becoming addicted. It is a choice.

I had a three month long battle with a number of large kidney stones last spring and summer. Like 1/2 inch stones that couldn't be passed. First the litherotripsy (spelling?) thing with a stent for a month then had them lazered out with a stent for another month. Plus all the initial pain before things got started. Plus they scoped me for possible bladder cancer at the outset until they were sure what was going on.

In short, I had ALOT of pain. I was prescribed several different painkillers. I only took them when absolutely needed, which was not infrequent. But I took them for three months. I can understand how people let themselves become addicted, but I knew I had to get off them at the end. So that's what I did. Anyone who WANTS to get off those things can do it.

#21 ·
Prescription drug addiction is nothing but a copout excuse. Everyone knows the consequences of becoming addicted. It is a choice.

I had a three month long battle with a number of large kidney stones last spring and summer. Like 1/2 inch stones that couldn't be passed. First the litherotripsy (spelling?) thing with a stent for a month then had them lazered out with a stent for another month. Plus all the initial pain before things got started. Plus they scoped me for possible bladder cancer at the outset until they were sure what was going on.

In short, I had ALOT of pain. I was prescribed several different painkillers. I only took them when absolutely needed, which was not infrequent. But I took them for three months. I can understand how people let themselves become addicted, but I knew I had to get off them at the end. So that's what I did. Anyone who WANTS to get off those things can do it.
People just can't stand being uncomfortable. I don't really ever take pain killers, but I know people who have to for legit reasons just to live. But being addicted or doing it for fun is different.
I always say I am addicted to sex and money too, but if you do them or abuse them in inappropriate ways you should go to jail! We all want to feel good but everything has consequences and no one else should pay for someone else's choices.

#23 ·
Well I'm truly sorry that you lost your brother, but just because you were a cop doesn't mean that your view is better than the rest of ours. I've seen quite a bit myself. Worked in a medical center and I've been the general manager of hundreds, if not possibly thousands, of people in my life. I've seen a few struggle with addiction. Some succumbed to it.

I wouldn't wish addiction on anyone, but I don't feel sorry for them either. Everyone who goes down that road, you either make the choice to start or there is a point where you realize what's happening and choose to continue.

#24 ·
"Schadenfreude ( lit. 'harm-joy') is pleasure derived from the misfortune of others. Borrowed from German into English and several other languages, it is a feeling of joy that comes from seeing or hearing about another person's troubles or failures. It is an expression of pleasure or self-satisfaction at another's failure."

That's the description from Wikipedia. It doesn't say whether or not it's addictive. But I suspect that it may be.

#25 ·
People have issues regardless, drug abuse is one of many. You may not understand it, you may think you do understand it, the facts are that if you are any type of caring individual, you would show compassion towards the affected individual and their family. We are very fortunate to be who we are and have the graces that God has bestowed on us. It is very easy to forget that life can change in a matter of minutes for ourselves or our loved ones. Be grateful.

Gary U

#27 ·
Compassion for others, especially for those we disagree with seems to be a dying trait. More than anything else I think that is the potential downfall of this great country. It's one thing to fairly complain about how our government burdens taxpayers through the actions of addicts, when there are viable alternatives to fix the system. It's a whole other level to wish death upon them among some other callous comments. Some people showing their true colors as genuine pieces of crap.

#28 ·
Narcan is free for addicts. it is paid for by taxpayers, the same folks that are complaining about the pensions for people that work and pay into it. i dont see a huge out cry about tax dollars paying for narcan and endless addiction treatments.

i also have not seen a huge out cry over the cost of epi-pens. you cant get those free if you dont have insurance.

this world is spinning backwards. i wonder why people still smoke when they know it will eventually kill them. treating addicts and smokers are a drain on healthcare.

the loss of a life is tragic, but people are doing this to themselves, there is no such thing as "i'll only try it once"

and no, i wont apologize.

#29 ·
Agree, no apology like I said previously - When Cancer patients aren't forced to pay thousands a month for medicine that the insurance they pay for wont cover, and people with allergies pay 600 for epi-pens BUT WAIT Narcan is free??? doesn't work for me. When everyone else pays the people who did it to them selves should at least be last on the list to get help.

#34 ·
So, using that thinking:

There should be no unemployment because some people work

There should be no housing assistance because some people get their own houses

There should be no food stamps because some people pay for their own food.

Kind of hard to believe that you would subscribe to that thinking after reading some of your posts.

#30 ·
you think thats bad. Inmates get it all for FREE.

Dental, vision, medical, FREE TREATMENT for what ever ails them and no co-pay or deductibles. regardless of the crime. they just have to hope they aren't eligible for parole while being treated for something costly. i have seen inmates paroled at the county level as soon as they were diagnosed with something that was going to cost a bundle :)

the Inmates are another drain on the healthcare system. i always said if anyone is by themselves, no wife or kids and need some very expensive surgeries or treatments.

get all your stuff in order and commit a crime thats worth at least two years in jail....it will save your life and it doesnt have to be a felony either.

#31 ·
Remember when it was Crack - They where junkies and crackheads and we dumped all the tax payer dollars into law enforcement jobs overtime and jails to handle it.
Now it's heroin - It's a disease and the medical field gets all the money to fight it because we feel bad for them.

I don't wish they would die necessarily. I wish they would stop, but if they don't and die I don't feel bad because it's less money spent on someone not deserving. You become cold and jaded when you see someone you love spend a lifetime of savings and basically bankrupt themselves to pay for medical treatment to stay alive month to month, because the system is broken. But the junkie down the street gets it for free and never worked a day.

#33 ·
Had a conversation with a surgeon who was trained in Scotland. He said they do not prescribe near the drugs for pain over there as American doctors do here. They have fewer hospital falls and fewer drug reactions. Fewer folks getting addicted to pain meds. or through pain meds. He had been practicing at a Hospital in Dc for several years and said we Americans tend to be babies when it comes to pain and Doctors and nurses here tend to over medicate patients to keep them under control ie out of it. There is probably a large amount of truth to that.

Frankly, I am amazed at the ease with which some doctors hand out pain pills. A few months ago, I had a root canal. The doctor gave me an envelope with five pills for pain. I just shoved them in my pocket and took them home. When I emptied my pockets and showed Mrs. the pills, (she is a nurse) she got really wide eyed. Told me each of those pills are enough to knock out three grown men. She couldn't believe the doctor just handed them out. I did not take them. But we do keep a stash of meds and antibiotics for the remote possibility that the crap hits the fan. So it went in with the stash. I figure if there is a problem, meds and antibiotics will be worth more than many commodities.

#44 ·
Had a conversation with a surgeon who was trained in Scotland. He said they do not prescribe near the drugs for pain over there as American doctors do here. They have fewer hospital falls and fewer drug reactions. Fewer folks getting addicted to pain meds. or through pain meds.
It was similar here in the US not many years ago. Doctors were much more cautious and restrictive about prescribing opioid painkillers.

That began changing in the 1990s. Drug companies pushed these pills. And doctors went along with it. And that's when you started hearing all reports in the news about widespread deaths from heroin overdoses.

And one thing different this time is that many of the people addicted and dying are very similar in background, ethnicity, culture, location to most of the people on this message board.

It's striking close to home now.

I live in Centre County. It wasn't that long ago that you didn't hear about people dying from opiates overdoses in this area.

Now you do. And in neighboring counties in central PA too.

#35 ·
Unemployment = temporary and is a small fixed cost your previous employer paid into.
Welfare = nope get a job or be good enough person your family will help you
Housing = live where you can afford

Big difference between wanting EQUAL treatment for all and not approving of giving to those who don't deserve it.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.