Fluorocarbon Tippet - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Fluorocarbon Tippet

Has anyone used fluorocarbon tippet? My experience so far is it's not as strong as monofilament tippet & more expensive. Does it make much difference for catching trout?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:50 PM
Part of the Community

I think the weakness of fluro is in the knots, you have to wet your knots. Because it's harder for fish to see I think the trade off is that you can use a heavier line than you would in mono( IE 5x fluro as opposed to 6x mono). I like fluro because it doesn't degrade like mono does and will stay strong for several years.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

I use fluoro as a tippet but instead of buying the tippet spools I buy the larger spools intended for spin fishing. That way when the line does pick up a nick I cut it off and add another section. I have found zero difference between say a 5x fluoro tippet and a 4lb fluoro line from a larger spool. Its probably the same stuff. I use a tapered mono leader and add the fluoro tippet. I use a triple surgeons knot or a seaguar knot to join the mono to fluoro. Any old knot wont work joining mono to fluoro. I rarely fish drys but the fluoro works great with streamers and nymphing.

As was stated above your knot is most likely what is failing not necessarily the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:55 AM
The Man

Yep I carry a big old 100 yard spool of it in my wading jacket. Same stuff for spin fishing. I like Suffix the best but have been using spider wire this year.

I am not a fancy fly fisherman at all lol. I have get a hand tied tapered leader from my uncle every year, slap a barrel swivel to it, then tie my flouro right to it, LOL no need for blood knots. Really easy to fish, and a lot less time. I only nymph and streamer fish however.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyMike View Post
Yep I carry a big old 100 yard spool of it in my wading jacket. Same stuff for spin fishing. I like Suffix the best but have been using spider wire this year.

I am not a fancy fly fisherman at all lol. I have get a hand tied tapered leader from my uncle every year, slap a barrel swivel to it, then tie my flouro right to it, LOL no need for blood knots. Really easy to fish, and a lot less time. I only nymph and streamer fish however.
I use seagaur fluoro. The stuff I can get on sale at walmart. I buy a leader or two each year and use a double surgeons knot which is really simple. I thing I am going to try a tippet ring this year to help make a leader last longer. Almost like your swivel but a little less obtrusive.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:37 PM
The Man

The swivel will sink dry flies a bit, but I don't fish them. Just much easier to work with, and heck I don't use them to fling minnows anymore so I might as well use them for something. LOL

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Part of the Community

The guys at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone know a thing or two about fly tying and fishing.

Here's what they say about Trout Hunters Fluorocarbon:

"This is the best Fluorocarbon tippet in the fly fishing world today. It's strength is unparalleled, it knots easily, it is extremely abrasion resistant and the handy 55yd spools will save anglers an average of 8 cents a yard over other major brands. At first we balked at the in between sizes, but after using it we've become converts."

They sell it for $24.95 a spool.

Pricey? Yep. But not so much compared to a $1000 rod, an $800 reel, $100 fly line, $800 waders, $200 wading boots, and a cold can of Iron City beer.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for all the information. I bought a spool of Stren 4# test fluorocarbon at Walmart $7 . Going for Steelhead tomorrow & going to try it out. I never have fished a FFO or a class A trout stream before. My Grandson & I plan on doing that next month. There is a place in Venango Co. not far from Erie
nomad_archer likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM
Part of the Community

I tie up my own leaders with Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon. I buy the 110 yard spools in 10,8,6,4,2 lb test. Get yourself a Blood knot tier, I use one made by Dennison, and make the leaders with equal amounts of each lb test to whatever length leader you like to fish and down to whatever lb test on the tippet end that you want. I fish steelhead in Erie every year and the found that the fluorocarbon does make a difference in clearer water conditions. You can tie a lot of leaders with 110 yard spools and a lot cheaper then buying brand name leaders.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 10:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

There are several issues here.

The first is the obvious Strength per Diameter issue and tippets win over line both for fluorocarbon and nylon mono.

This is not just a theoretical advantage in fluorocarbon that is used mainly underwater. A thinner tippet has less surface area that is proportional to the square of the diameter. So not only will a thinner tippet sink faster but it will have less drag through the water to pull on the fly. So visibility is not the only issue. Thinner tippets reduce drag.

The second, less obvious reason to buy the tippet, is suppleness. In most instances tippet should be supple because they are on the end of leaders and suppleness is the ability that allows flies to move more freely. A stiff tippet of the same diameter as a supple tippet will tend to straighten rather than to fall with slack. Slack allows a drag free drift.

Not all fluorocarbon tippets are the same. Seaguar Grand Max is the most supple fluorocarbon that is commonly available in the USA and has good breaking strength.

For Steelhead I use Seaguar Invis-X in 4-6-8lb test for tippet material. If the water is really low and clear dropping down to a true tippet material can be necessary for line shy fish. 200yds for about $15. Inland waters in smaller streams I prfer the tippet material for it's smaller diameter and its suppleness...

As said before knots are critical when tying on fluorocarbon tippet. All knots must be wetted before drawing them up tight or they will fail.
Attached Images
File Type: png screen-shot-2012-02-03-at-3-18-26-pm.png (182.7 KB, 2 views)
Esox_Hunter likes this.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page