Trout in Elk County - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Trout in Elk County

Hi All,

I hope I could get a little advice here. I know could just go on the PFBC website and find all the trout streams in Elk County. However, I want to hear your opinion. Looks like I'll be doing some work in Elk County for a couple weeks. I'll be mainly around the St. Marys area. Are their any trout streams you guys recommend hitting up that are close to the area. I would love to go off into the wild yander, but with my work vehical don't think that would be a great idea. I'm not looking for anybodies secret spot or secret stream just a nice place to wind down and find a shady hemlock to relax under. Thanks a ton. I'd be more than happy to exchange a brew also if anybody is bored!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 PM
RIZ

Re: Trout in Elk County

lots of streams are very warm and low now. so look at e. branch clarion river, as it's from a bottom flow dam. other than that i would target smallies in the clarion.

RIZ
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 09:39 PM

Yep a lot of those streams are too warm and are VERY low. Probably not going to be a lot of good trout fishing in the area right now.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 PM

I live and grew up in St. Marys, Elk Co Area. And like the other guys said the streams are extreemly low! We need rain so bad here!!! But if you do want to at least try some streams then i would try the east branch of the clarion below the dam(artificial only section below the dam) the live bait section is from the east branch bridge on down. The east branch is really really cold coming out of the bottom of the dam. Also try the Main Branch of the Clarion between Johnsonburg and Ridgeway Its Trophy Trout waters C&R All Tackle. Very very nice big browns in there but like i said its very low. One thing the Main Branch of the Clarion has going for it during low flows of the summer months is that its got Big and Deep holes in it. I know a few holes 10 to 15ft+ deep even when its low. But try to fish faster water comming into a big deep hole.
I would be more then happy to help ya out while your here. Ill send ya a PM with my Cell and you can text or give me a call if you got any questions on where to fish.
-RUSS

Fishing, Turkey Hunting, Shed Hunting, Archery Hunting yep that's it!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 11:40 PM

there are tons of trout in the east branch of the clarion go down stream from the dam in or go up stream from bendigo state park last weekend i caught 30 trout, but below the park its hit or miss a blue herring was down there
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 01:14 AM

Isn't a herring a fish?

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I might just dabble around and try my luck. Looking forward to my visit!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page