Yough River Fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Yough River Fishing

I was just wondering where along the yough river i could fish between smithton and Ohiopyle in the winter. I need a spot that i can do some good bank fishing. Im out at college with no good boots and my friends dont have any either. So I need a good spot that we can just stand on the side and be somewhat productive. Any help is much apprieciated. Thanks

nothin like an afternoon chasin wild trout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 PM

Re: Yough River Fishing

haha. you picked a very large section of river.

you can pretty much fish the entire river from end to end from the bank.

i grew up 100 yards from the yough, pulled numerous 5-10 lbs trout out of it and i personally wouldnt waste my time fishing it in the winter for trout. not saying you wont catch any, but.....eehh!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

haha yeah im out at school at cal u of pa. Im from lancaster so im not really familiar with area. I picked such a large section of river because its all with in an hour from me. I just have a need to fish haha.

nothin like an afternoon chasin wild trout
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 02:47 PM

You can start in Smithon which starts stocking in March. They sell buttons to raise money for the stockings which aren't mandatory to fish but appreciated. They have a website check it out. They dump a lot and some nice fish. Above Ohiopyle is difficult but can be very rewarding with some large fish. The Yough confluence stocks this week and it can be a very productive area. Check it out and good luck !

*"of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy" **

William Sherwood Fox
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 06:21 PM

Take a drive to Ohiopyle and start walking. There are plenty of trout in every stretch of the river and most areas can be fished from shore!

2B, 2A, South East NE, Jefferson National Forest VA
'Pinnin Ain't Easy' 'TR' East Ohio

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 01:08 PM

I fished the yough for the first time last year sometime towards the end of June or early July. I got some good info from fellow fisherman here and was able to find some good fishing. A couple buddies and me parked at Ramcat and biked back in a few miles. We waited for a day that the river was flowing on the low end and it was still very difficult to wade. Personally, I wouldn't go near that river in the winter time or when the levels were anything but on the low end, unless I was drift fishing I guess. I did find that the deep runs hold some very nice fish. I had a blast fishing the river and I am planning on returning again this summer.

living4theoutdoors -- C us on Youtube
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 04:51 PM

There is a spot about 100yds down from the Smithton Bridge. I think they call it Smithton Beach. The local club used to stock it there. If they still do, there are probably a couple holdovers. It's a big hole just below a huge submerged rock only 6 or 8ft off the bank. On the other end you can park at Ramcat bike trail parking lot. It's about a mile or so below confluence bridge. The road across from the campground will take you right to it. You can walk the bike trail down and go over the bank at a bunch of different places. Some of the spots even have steps built down to them. Lots of big browns in this section. It's slow fishing this time of year, but you usually have the whole river to yourself.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 PM

First mile below the dam is easy to wade at flows of 700 or less from the dam. The best fishing is furthur downstream but February is not a good time to scout it. Pa USGS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page