Matthews halon 32-6 " was anti matthews" - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Matthews halon 32-6 " was anti matthews"

Well finally went to the dark side. I maybe have shot a matthews bow like 3 times my entire life. Went to the pro shop was checking out the hoyts, glanced at the matthews on the rack and was like God those things ugly. Picked one up was even more shocked what is this a brick with 22's for cams. Picked up hoyt and went and shot. Few guys come in with the whole line up of the halons.

I set my feelings aside and shot the halon 6 first. First pull kinda ok didn't like the grip, pulling back thought ok not to to bad. Good back wall. Released I was like wow junk. Didn't give it a chance. Couldn't get over the hand position, and the weight for a bare bow.

Shot the 5 not for me, I'm to torquey with my grip. Shot the 7 kinda weird.

Back up was the 6. Shot it about 15 times and started to love the feel. Nice everything steady pull, back wall, release. Hand position started feeling more natural. Accurate with nothing on. Was thinking I can't like a matthews what's wrong with me. Went up front and was like naw can't shoot a matthews.

Seen a halon 32-6. What's the difference just riser length ok I'll go shoot this one. Took the 6 and the 32 6 back shot around 50 more arrows out of both. Both bows were awesome shooters. Stood there thinking these bows are smoking accurate with nothing on. Dead in the hand, smooth, pulling 65 pounds felt like 50. Just enough feedback, was shocked on everything.

Decided on the halon 32-6 in stone. I'm a taller, lankier shooter. Longer riser helps with the string angle for longer draws. I still think it's ugly looks are growing on me though. I have owned all brands but matthews till now.

For anti matthews guys and girls blind fold yourselves shoot around 30+ shots and I think you'll like it. Don't complain about the extra 8oz of bow. I really feel if you hate the way it looks how it shoots makes up for it. For me it's the most accurate, forgiving bow I have ever shot. I'm a huge matthews basher and now I own one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:57 AM
The Man

Thats just crazy talk, stop it now.

2 weeks of rifle season is ruining the flintlock season
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 03:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Two guys in my league have Halon 6's and like them. The Halon X with the 35 ata and 7 inch brace would be more my style but the 1299 msrp is a little steep. I have never shot a Mathews, but would like to give the Halon X a try as long as none of my buddies find out about it.

Not all who wander are lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 03:54 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I bought a Hoyt Defiant recently, but my close second choice was the Halon. And I'm also not a fan of Mathews.

If they had a different grip on them, I'd probably have gone with the Mathews. It was quieter than the Defiant by a tad, but the Defiant was a more natural grip for me. I'd have had to acclimate to the Mathews, for sure.

But I agree with all you posted about it....it's a nice bow.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I know its crazy but it is what it is. Still think it's ugly but growing on me. Kinda like having the nerdy girl friend in high school.

Just gonna peel the matthews stickers off. They'll never know.

The grip took some getting use to. That was a big sticking point at first. That's why I kept shooting. The more I shot the more accurate and the more I liked it. Like I said I'm a huge matthews basher to. Took some time and with blinders off its a great bow.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 06:15 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I actually went wanting a Bowtech, since I have a 2009 Bowtech Captain that I'm very fond of.

I shot the BT-X and liked it and thought, ok, that's it.

Then to be sure, I shot a Prime bow (forget which one), the Halon, and the Defiant.

The BT-X went to the bottom of the list. All were good, to be sure....I just liked the others better. And the Halon, without the 2x4 grip, would have been #1, no question. I liked it's draw cycle, speed, quietness, etc. Just really didn't like that grip.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

I was in love with my No Cam, til I picked up a Hoyt Defiant 34. I went out and played with the Halons, but the grip and I didn't get along. They are outstanding bows, but the fit and feel for me just wasn't there. None the less, my No Cam went to my daughters boyfriend, after I picked up a Defiant 34 for a STEAL. I have no idea why Mathews added 2 inches of ATA and remarketed the Halon like that, when the short ATA rage is still alive and well.

Treat me good, I treat you better. Treat me bad, I treat you worse.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I hated the grip at first but love it now.

They have the regular halon and the halon 32. Guys asked matthews for the longer ata for longer draws. The 2" of riser makes a huge difference on string angles at full draw.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhart15 View Post
I hated the grip at first but love it now.

They have the regular halon and the halon 32. Guys asked matthews for the longer ata for longer draws. The 2" of riser makes a huge difference on string angles at full draw.

that's why I won't go under 34 inches of ATA no more with my 30 inch draw. Its so smooth.

Treat me good, I treat you better. Treat me bad, I treat you worse.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I'm in the same boat with the 30" draw. Just couldn't get the hoyts to work for me this time out. The 32 so far has been the most accurate bow I have ever owned it's the most forgiving bow too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page