Maple Tapping Season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Maple Tapping Season

I ordered 10 maple spiles and i am looking to learn through experience how to make syrup. I do know that it's a 40:1 ratio and that I am looking for about 10 gallons of sap to make a qt of syrup (this isn't set in stone if I get more great if I get less that's fine as well). This is more for the learning how to do it than to make a large amount. I live in SE PA and I'm curious as to when everyone taps trees in this area since we start to warm up sooner than the rest of the state. I do have my trees identified and marked at my house and some friends. I'll be using an outdoor burner for the boil. Any other tips would be appreciated from the more experienced folks.

Smile its contagious. Its understood in all languages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:26 PM

Can't help with the syrup making part but make sure you have plenty of butter and pancakes when you are finished.
Sounds like a fun experiment.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:54 PM

make sure you turn your heat down as it is starting to get close to being finished even move inside to the kitchen stove. the flash point is quick and will not take much to ruin a pot and some syrup, trust me I learned the hard way

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 02:36 PM

Wish I could help but it seems like a good experience to learn that and quite tasty.How much to get into this money wise?If you don't want to say I'm okay with that.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 07:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiamovi View Post
How much to get into this money wise?If you don't want to say I'm okay with that.
Basically nothing if you are just gonna do it recreationally..............make a few quarts............

I have sugared a few times. Used clean, 1 gallon milk jugs as collectors. Made my spiles from RV waterline. Drilled with a hand brace and an auger bit. Boiled in a big stainless stockpot. Only thing I wish I had was a candy thermometer. I think it's 219* F you need to bring the syrup to and kill the heat.

Nicht ihr höschen in einem knoten erhalten.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

The spiles I ordered off amazon for $22 and I plan on using milk jugs to collect. I luckily have a candy thermometer already but they're relatively inexpensive.

Smile its contagious. Its understood in all languages.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:17 AM

I haven't made syrup in a few years. When i did, I simply drilled a hole in the side of the tree, about an inch deep, cleaned out the hole with a brush and then stuck in a piece of plastic hose the same size as the drill (i usually used 1/4 od hose) . the other end of the plastic hose went through a hole in the lid of a 2 liter soda bottle (or milk jug) and the bottle/jug was hung on a stainless steel screw just below the sap hole. Only took a piece of hose about 8 inches long. I would take other similar jugs out with intact lids to exchange for the ones on the trees. Just remove the bottle from the tree, and switch the cap for a solid one and hang the fresh bottle on the tree with the hose.

Evaporating the sap in the kitchen can cause a lot of vapor problems. As in condensation on everything, including the fancy wood cabinet doors. Not a good thing if you value domestic tranquility. I used a large 4 gal cheap stainless steel kettle from walmart and a smaller kettle. I poured the sap into the large kettle over low heat and just let if evaporate until it was down to about 1/10th of it's original depth. Then I transferred the partially done syrup to a smaller thicker based kettle and slowly cooked down the rest of the process. When the sugars start to caramelize, the syrup will turn brown. The bubbles in the cooking sap will appear more like clear plastic bubbles as the sap thickens. It scorches very easy at that point so you should really watch it carefully. I made my first batch from red maple sap. When I cooked it down it was sweet and syrupy just like from sugar maple. You can also tap sycamore and hickory trees. I had a book about edible plants and the professor of botany who wrote the book said the Indians would tap black walnut trees as well. I did make some black walnut syrup. It was deep yellow, very sweet and buttery.

The sap really does not run unless the nights are below freezing and the days are above freezing. Lows around 20-25 and highs around 40 seem ideal.

Last edited by zimmerstutzen; 01-13-2017 at 06:21 AM.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 05:21 AM

pretty much what simmer zimmer said , and remember to have fun
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I just ordered 15 spiles and hoses to try my hand at maple syrup this year. We have plenty of maples around our woods and it doesn't sound incredibly difficult, so i think i can handle it. Just need to get our propane stove from the inlaws' garage and I'll be ready.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyg123 View Post
The spiles I ordered off amazon for $22 and I plan on using milk jugs to collect. I luckily have a candy thermometer already but they're relatively inexpensive.
make sure you rinse those milk jugs really good or you may get a bad taste in your syrup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page