imperial clover frost seed or start over?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

imperial clover frost seed or start over??

I have a nice plot going around 1.2 acres. the farmer that farms our farm will have his disks in to plant soybean this year? my question is have him disk up my plot or just frost seed. my plot is about 4 years old and does ok. i sprayed and frost seeded before, but i know i am almost ready to start fresh. it would be nice with the big machinery to help out in breaking up the ground instead of a little disk pulled by my quad. also not sure if it would be kind of late when he can get his equipment of the ground to plant his soybean?? start fresh or frost seed. weads are somewhat managed good ph on soil also?? heading to disney tomorrow so will not be able to reply until sunday>> oh ya teh frost seeding would be nicer on my time that i have right now with the little ones and family but is it worth it? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:00 PM

Re: imperial clover frost seed or start over??

It's tough to tell you what to do. If it's not very weedy and grasses are under control, then maybe frost seeding is the way to go.

I'm assuming any discing would be done in June, which is a tough time to seed clover. Buddy of mine seeded clover in June with buckwheat as the nurse crop and it did VERY well because the BW shaded the clover during the drought conditions that followed.

Give it a frost seeding and see how it pans out.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:37 PM

So, I was going to post something similar today, is now the time to frost seed? Particularly, what are the best conditions/forecast for frost seeding? With daytime highs around 60 and lows in the upper 20's, is that the right condition?

That which does not kill me, only makes me stronger.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:48 PM

It could be done now. Again, I have spread clover seed into thatch in mid May, with no soil disturbance, with good results.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:24 PM

It would seem to me that frost seeding into an established stand is a waste of money. I would only frost seed if the stand was spotty due to drought or excessive weed infestation that was aggressively managed in the fall, leaving gaps.

I miss my hunting partner
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:19 PM

Not sure I agree with that. Some guys frost seed their plots every other year with a little seed and their plots stay pretty nice longer.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:15 AM

I wouldn't frost seed WI Imperial clover. It contains something like 30% berseem clover which is an annual and it will not grow when frost seeded. Stick with regular ladino, the deer won't care. Trust me.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 09:56 AM

I'd probablu stick with a generic Ladino, but why wouldn't the berseem work? You think it'll frost kill?

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 AM

Yes, annual clovers don't take frost well. I read this a few years ago when I was researching frost seeding. No sense losing 30% of your seed of an already expensive brand.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 AM

Never cared much for the commercial blends because they do contain "filler" seeds, like berseem. However, those clovers are the faster starters and give the plot a jump and also help protect the perennial ladinos.

Another thing to note, last time I used Imperial, about 1/3 of the weight of the bag was the limestone seed coating. Very little of the seed is perennial seed.

I thought they do recommend it for frost seeding tho. You may be right about the berseem tho, I never heard that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page