How much do you feed your dog after hunting? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

How much do you feed your dog after hunting?

My dog will leave food in her bowl most of the time. But if we hunt sometime during the day she would eat anything you put in front of her. I gave her a double helping and when my wife come home she didn't think I fed the dog the way she was acting and fed her again.

Does anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:24 PM

Re: How much do you feed your dog after hunting?

Dog gets fed the same amount each day during the season. Might let up a bit in the off season, but the dogs still run for an hour or two a dat in the off season.

Self fed dogs are hard to give advice for. Regulate the amount in one or two helpings a day, watch the dog. skinny feed more, fat feed less.

our dogs get fed more than once for a meal here and there. Communication is key. Wife doesn't always communicate though.

Little more poop or runs, nothing to worry about.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:30 PM

I don't know what the correct answer is. When I had outside dogs I usually gave them a little more. My dog is in the house and she gets feed free choice but if she was one to eat a pile when she got back I might limit her. Just make sure you don't overfeed her before you go out hunting. A lot of food before the hunt can actully be dangerous for the dog or so I have read. My dog eats when it wants and I have never had a problem with that either but I know how some dogs just woof down whatever you give them.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 PM

Attended a NAVHDA training day where a vet was presenting some doggy first aid advise and one thing that stuck with me was he said that they hadn't figured out what caused bloat in dogs exactly, but it always happens AFTER heavy exercise where the dog was fed within three hours either side of said exercise. Obviously, this doesn't happen to every dog ever, nor with every exercise/feeding occurrence, but I've since tried to hold off on feeding for a while after running him, and not feed for a while prior to such activity. JMHO.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 11:23 PM

Thanks holedigger. I knew it could be bad before but didn't know it could be bad after with a normal feeding. Guess it is good my dogs never were ones to eat everything you put in there bowl in one sitting. My brother had a beagle that would. He would always gobble it all down. If it was canned food he would usually have it ate before you could shake it out of the can. Whatever did make it to the bowl wasn't there more than two seconds.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 02:23 AM

I do not hunt my dog on an empty stomach, though I know many guys do. I do feed him much less than his normal morning meal but I like him to have something in his stomach. After hunting I do feed him more than normal, about an extra cup's worth. I typically feed twice a day, 1&3/4 to 2 cups each feeding.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 03:29 PM

My springer is self-regulating AND slim and trim. He has food in front of him all the time except that I take the food dish away the evening before he's going to hunt. The food gets put back down when we return from the hunt. And then sometimes he eats.....and sometimes he doesn't.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 04:12 PM

My dogs are self regulated, with the auto feeder most of the time, however after a hunt I do give them some Deer meat and a little beacon Grease mixed in with their regular feed, fed individually to each of the dogs, in their own cage. A reward for a job well done, I never over feed my dogs however. They live to be very old ages and hunt for a very long time.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 10:11 PM

We Always keep the food bowl full, they eat when they want.
Both are in good shape, and don't have a problem doing 6+ miles min. a day.

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 03:01 PM

Brine,
We used one fo the new tracker/training collars the other day to see just how far the dogs were running on each outing, our Grouse dogs covered no less than 14 miles each day, your Beagles probably cover that much and more also.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page