post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Re: Corned Beef & Cabbage Recipies??

I like that one!!

Still feedin on my batch. Starting to get a lil old though! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:01 PM

I just ran into a good friend of mine and her significant other. She said that she made hers with apple juice and spices (cloves, bay leaves and pepper) in the crockpot and they both agreed it was excellent. Gotta try that!

You can't fix stupid.....but you can vote it out!
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Anuther good one!
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 PM

I love corned beef an cabbage. In fact I like cooked cabbage, taters, carrots and celery. Drop the taters and make some buttered hulaski(sp) noodles served on the side.YUM!YUM.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 08:03 PM

"May the wind at your back,
not be the result of the
Corned Beef and Cabbage
you had for lunch."
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhollow
"May the wind at your back,
not be the result of the
Corned Beef and Cabbage
you had for lunch."
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 02:38 AM

resurrecting an older thread...but i had some folks over for dinner on St. Patty's day for a brisket and it went a little like this:
rub brisket with 1/2c brown sugar, and place in baking dish that has a cover. quarter one onion, and slice 3 cloves garlic, add to dish, and pour in 2 cans of Guinness Stout or Oatmeal Porter, along with a can or two of water (just to cover the brisket, which by the way is fat side down to start) and chuck in about 10 peppercorns.

Chuck it in the oven, 300 degrees, 4 hours.

take out, flip to fat side up and put back into oven uncovered.

While it was cooking, you prepared your veggies - B-size red taters (half or quarters), large carrots (not them dang baby carrot obamanations) cut into 1-2" chunks...use the fat carrots, and cut your cabbage head into 8'ths leaving the core intact on each wedge.

at the point you flipped the brisket (which should be dang near fall apart tender already), start cooking the veggies.

In a large pot, put a few tablespoons of bacon grease (doesn't everyone keep a jar of this nectar in the fridge?), and brown the sides of the cabbage...yes...fry the cabbage till it's got some color. doing the cabbage in batches until finished, just browning them and pulling them out. once you are done with it, toss the taters(halved or quartered) and carrots (1.5 to 2" chunks) into the pot, cover with the cabbage wedges, and add about 2 cups of the liquid from the brisket. cover, and let cook over medium heat for about 20 mins or so until carrots and taters are done. the cabbage won't be soupy mess, the taters will look like taters, not brown boiled oats, and the carrots will be ORANGE...not brown

I took more of the braising liquid, and the liquid from the veggies, strained it through a papertowel and made a gravy out of it with ample pepper, a little salt to taste and hit it with the old corn starch trick.

my family, my guests, and myself have elected me to be the purveyor of all StP's corned beef meals forevermore. it was a HUGE hit, the best they've ever had and they LOVED the different treatment of the veggies. give it a try, you will love it too, i'm certain of it.

Serve with a good hearty artisan bread...something with a good crust and lots of holes...cus once the CB is gone, folks started eating gravy sandwiches LOL...my mouth is watering...i need to go now...

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Sounds great!! Just printed to save for next batch!! Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page