The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

backstraps

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Bigbrownie 
#1 ·
What the best and easiest way to cook some butterfly backstraps?

#2 · (Edited)
I do 3 things with the medallioned straps although most of the time I leave mine in about 5 inch loin sections and grill, then slice thinly. I always found the butterflying to be a bit pointless as opposed to just cutting medallions. They just curl up and make it harder to get a good sear.

1. Get a nice hot charcoal or hardwood coal fire going. As hot as you can get without bursting into flames. Coat the backstraps with olive oil and a bit of montreal steak seasoning. Sear quickly, only 30 seconds to a couple minutes per side depending how thick the cut and how hot your flame. Don't cook past medium rare.

2. Salt and pepper your medallions. Sear on high in a cast iron skillet with some butter and olive oil until medium rare. Make a quick pan sauce, one of my favorites is a quick variation of cumberland sauce -- deglaze pan with a splash of red wine, add some orange juice and a tart jelly like currant or this time of year ill add cranberries, and some ground black pepper. Let it cook down to thicken a bit while your meat rests.

3. Marinate in your favorite marinade and broil or grill on high to medium rare. To me marinating backstraps is a bit of a disservice to them but my grandma always did this growing up so it's a bit of a comfort food that I'll make once a year or so.

Either way always let your red meat rest for 10 minutes after cooking.

#3 ·
I also prefer taking straps in 5-10" pieces. I hate cooking small/thin cuts of venison. It's just tough to get it right when it's thinly cut, because it cooks SO fast and then you wind up with meat-flavored chewing gum.

Same basic process, too. Rub with olive oil and seasoning you prefer, sear each side, then cook over medium heat till proper doneness. I try, and am USUALLY successful, to get the ends medium well and middle medium rare, as my wife won't eat it with anything more than a hint of color internally. So I get the ends more done for her and the middle about right for the rest of us, lol.

I will usually put any venison in a gallon ziplock bag with milk for a few hours to overnight. This helps draw out any blood in the meat and diminish any remaining "gamy" flavor it might have. I let my deer age a bit, and I really feel that helps. I know some disagree, so to each their own. My goal is to get as much blood out of that meat as I can, which seems to remove the gaminess quite a bit.

I have a really picky family, and they gobble up any and all venison.

#4 ·
You mentioned butterfly but I will tell you another way you might enjoy. My buddy taught me something very simple. We cut them into fairly thin slices (small way not lengthwise), coat them with flower and put them in a pan with butter and onions. You use a good bit of butter. Cook until flour is browned. I sprinkle a little salt on mine as well. We usually make a large plate and snack on them. We cook a couple batches at rifle camp yearly. Ours aren't usually tough but maybe the flour helps that. I'm not much of a cook so this works perfect for me.

#6 ·
We cut our straps into small 2 inch strips, sear them in a very hot black Lodge frying pan, then we add 2 cups of water add sliced carrots as much as you like ) salt, pepper then stir. Cover and cook on low heat until carrots are tender. Mix flour and water in a separate jar shake it up then add to pan and stir until it thickens.Serve over noodles or rice and enjoy. My family calls it slop and they love it, but it is closer to beef stroganoff.

This is easy to make and only 3 ingredients, and tasty ...Try it you won`t be disappointed....

#9 · (Edited)
Here is the recipe for one of the best meals I have ever eaten.

Venison Backstrap with Carmelized Onions

2 pounds whole venison backstrap, cleaned of any silvery membrane
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 cup white or yellow onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, mashed
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
garlic powder
coarse salt
freshly ground blackpepper

Rinse venison and pat dry. Season liberally with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add balsamic vinegar and 1/3 of the olive oil. Rub into meat and let marinate for 30 minutes.

Heat 1/3 of the olive oil over medium high heat. Pan fry venison, turning to brown, until medium rare, about four minutes total for a two-inch thick backstrap. Remove from heat and tent with foil.

Add remaining olive oil to pan. Add onions, garlic and rosemary. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Toss and cook until onions brown and are slightly caramelized, about two minutes. Remove from heat. Slice venison at an angle and serve with onion and garlic mixture.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.