Toasty Hunting Outfit - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Toasty Hunting Outfit

I'm starting now to shop for some cold weather hunting clothes for next year, and I'm looking for suggestions. I have an out fit that's very bulky and not very warm. I have to layer so many clothes under it that I can barely raise the gun to shoot. Help is very appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I didn't realize all we have are warm weather hunters on this forum.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Part of the Community

The warmest hunting suit I own is a 1 piece fart bag.
Bought it at Bob's Army and Navy one year - on sale.

Bought a two piece hunting suit with bib overalls from Grice Gun Shop that is so warm, I don't even zipper up the jacket anymore..

The key is to layer up, not trying to do everything with just one or two layers.
There is lot's of Gortex Long Underwear out there that really works.

My hands got cold more than anything else.
I have Thinsulate Gloves, but didn't bother to wear them this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:36 PM
The Man

My next cold weather gear would be something like the IWOM or the Heater Body Suit.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

Gamehide Hunting Wear is All We Do
Deer hunter parka I have 2, realtree and orange camo. Good coat priced right.

Last edited by SHEDMAN25; 12-15-2016 at 06:50 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have spent a small fortune on cold weather gear, hunting from AK, to ALberta Canada in sub -30 weather
the very best outer layer I have come across is made by a company called Raven Wear
its FAR from cheap, but its WARM< and Quiet
have two of there jackets and bibs, there Sherpa lined and there Archery reversible jacket and bibs of each!

be embarrassed to say what I paid, but been worth every penny on super cold 10 hrs sits!
and the owner of the company is super nice, have meet Susan several times and hunted with her husband over the yrs!
nice folks

they do the harrisburg sportsman show every so often, and they will custom make any size you need or?? another nice touch to buying top shelf gear!

my stuff is about 12 yrs old and holding up great too!
so last long as well!
Highly recommend the stuff if you don't mind the price!

there a Canadian based company in Alberta

Raven Wear - Garments and equipment for outdoor enthusiasts.

little cheaper stiff , will be sleeping Indian wool
and then even lesser will be Cabela's

Wool extreme weather gear line of things, forget exact name I have both jacket and bibs in it, its HEAVY and more bulky, but is rather warm too!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 08:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
My next cold weather gear would be something like the IWOM or the Heater Body Suit.
I'm telling you the heater body suit is the absolute best! Anyone with issues getting cold needs to get one. Yes they are expensive, but, you will not get cold. Worth every penny. I picked one up this year on their website. $359. Free shipping. Came with the orange overlay for gun season free. $49 value. I also picked up the backpack for it. $79 Fits in very nice and has 2 huge zippered side pockets for anything you would need. Although you don't need it because it comes with a strap that goes over both shoulders to pack it. But I liked the idea of the backpack because I could get everything else in one bag. Also bought the waterproof booties. $39. We hunt ground blinds a lot and the insides of them can get mucky so the booties are nice because the protect the material where your feet are from getting wet and mucky. Sometimes it's hard to try and stay awake because you are so warm and comfortable like being in a warm bed. You won't even want to take a leak if you have too because you won't want to open it up and feel that heat escape. Super easy to get in and out of. Only downside is you look like a comoflauge gumby. But your warm and stay warm!
TheBig1 and cspot like this.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE=mrbb;1950993]I have spent a small fortune on cold weather gear, hunting from AK, to ALberta Canada in sub -30 weather
the very best outer layer I have come across is made by a company called Raven Wear
its FAR from cheap, but its WARM< and Quiet
have two of there jackets and bibs, there Sherpa lined and there Archery reversible jacket and bibs of each!

be embarrassed to say what I paid, but been worth every penny on super cold 10 hrs sits!
and the owner of the company is super nice, have meet Susan several times and hunted with her husband over the yrs!
nice folks

they do the harrisburg sportsman show every so often, and they will custom make any size you need or?? another nice touch to buying top shelf gear!

my stuff is about 12 yrs old and holding up great too!
so last long as well!
Highly recommend the stuff if you don't mind the price!

there a Canadian based company in Alberta

Raven Wear - Garments and equipment for outdoor enthusiasts.

little cheaper stiff , will be sleeping Indian wool
and then even lesser will be Cabela's

Wool extreme weather gear line of things, forget exact name I have both jacket and bibs in it, its HEAVY and more bulky, but is rather warm too![/QUOTE]

I have a Raven Wear hat that is great. Earlier this month I went online to order another hat and they are going out of business in early January. No custom made stuff ,only what they have in stock. I think the folks are retiring

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 01:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

[/QUOTE]

I have a Raven Wear hat that is great. Earlier this month I went online to order another hat and they are going out of business in early January. No custom made stuff ,only what they have in stock. I think the folks are retiring[/QUOTE]
Yeah I seen that after I posted there link, its actually in the link I posted
and a shame, no one else is taking over for them as they are retiring from things.
they did work out of there house(shop on property with house)
so , maybe that's why no one is stepping.
but if you can find there things, there TOP shelf cold weather gear, glad I have what I have now even more so!

a heater Body suit isn't a bad idea either, there like a sleeping bag

when I was a kid, in the late 70's
I used to just carry in an afghan blanket, my Aunt made me out of bright orange yarn!, over sized and would wrap myself in it, worked good, but a pain to carry in as a kid! HAHA!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 03:18 PM

Get some good quality wool clothing.

Sgt USMC '80-'87
>>>---->

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page